Hi Jez,

Smashing paintwork, I have done a few 86's now, although my 2 latest ones have the jumpers and the hi intensity headlights, as there were at least 3 loco's in repainted in blue after their refit, there was 86257 and 86402 and I think both kept the livery well into 1989. There are others but I don't have the numbers with me. The blue you have used is a touch faded, but by 89 who knows (I'll admit to the same blue on mine!!)

Keep up the good work.

Dave

post-28799-0-89593100-1480089711.jpg

post-28799-0-33435300-1480089715.jpg

• Like 2

Good evening,

Decided to get the airbrush out tonight. Here is one of three BR blue liveried 86's that will feature on Euston. In 1989, there were still three 86's remaining in this livery. This one will eventually be 86206 "City of Stoke On Trent"

attachicon.gifIMG_7690.JPG

Best regards,

Jeremy

That's superb Jeremy - I have two class 87 body shells that I would like to spray in rail blue, but I have never used an airbrush before and you have inspired me to have a go! Can I ask what equipment you use, how you removed the glazing etc and how you mask to spray the pantograph well? If I can get mine looking half as good as yours I will be happy!!! Cheers, Phil.  

That's superb Jeremy - I have two class 87 body shells that I would like to spray in rail blue, but I have never used an airbrush before and you have inspired me to have a go! Can I ask what equipment you use, how you removed the glazing etc and how you mask to spray the pantograph well? If I can get mine looking half as good as yours I will be happy!!! Cheers, Phil.

Cheers Phil! I've got a Voilamart airbrush, it was recommended to me by Cav (RBE on RMweb) and it's brilliant. Think I've got the hang of getting the paint to the right consistency and then it's just a case of working out how much air pressure/paint ratio to go for. Try on a piece of plasticard first just to see how it's coming out. I always start with a dusting over and then just lots of thin layers until it looks about right. That seems to work for me anyway.

Have a go mate and see how you get on. Start with a simple livery like NSE like I did! He he!!

In all seriousness, you will be fine. It's all about practice.

The glazing should just pop out but sometimes needs a little help on the inside to remove it. Masking tape wise I use Tamiya 6mm and cut out sheets of A4 paper to wrap around the model.

Good luck and by the way, I love your layout, the scenery is one of the best on RMweb.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 1

Hi Jez,

Smashing paintwork, I have done a few 86's now, although my 2 latest ones have the jumpers and the hi intensity headlights, as there were at least 3 loco's in repainted in blue after their refit, there was 86257 and 86402 and I think both kept the livery well into 1989. There are others but I don't have the numbers with me. The blue you have used is a touch faded, but by 89 who knows (I'll admit to the same blue on mine!!)

Keep up the good work.

Dave

Cheers Dave. It's turned out alright and I'm pleased so far. 86206 did look a little faded in 89 and my blue is probably a little too faded but it will certainly break up all the intercity executive livery that will feature on the layout.

I plan to have 86402 too!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Phil, Jeremy is right, buy an airbrush and have a go, I use railmatch paints and thinners, I prefer the enamels, I find them easier to apply. I have 3 rail blue 86's and 2 in intercity along with an 87 under way at the mo. I'll try and put a couple of pictures up over the weekend.

I will say my track and tracklaying is nothing like Jeremy's and this thread is a real pleasure to read and feel jealous about! But seriously it is a pleasure to read.

Dave

Cheers Phil! I've got a Voilamart airbrush, it was recommended to me by Cav (RBE on RMweb) and it's brilliant. Think I've got the hang of getting the paint to the right consistency and then it's just a case of working out how much air pressure/paint ratio to go for. Try on a piece of plasticard first just to see how it's coming out. I always start with a dusting over and then just lots of thin layers until it looks about right. That seems to work for me anyway.

Have a go mate and see how you get on. Start with a simple livery like NSE like I did! He he!!

In all seriousness, you will be fine. It's all about practice.

The glazing should just pop out but sometimes needs a little help on the inside to remove it. Masking tape wise I use Tamiya 6mm and cut out sheets of A4 paper to wrap around the model.

Good luck and by the way, I love your layout, the scenery is one of the best on RMweb.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks so much for the advice and very kind words Jeremy - this thread is hugely inspirational and its great that you are flying the flag for n-gauge AC electrics! 

Can I ask - the Voilamart airbrush - do you use a compressor with it or one of the cans of aerosol propellant? I have an old Badger airbrush but am appalled to say I have never used it, aside from one attempt that ended up in an almighty mess - but you have encouraged me to have a another go so thanks very much for that!!

I'm wondering whether to try with an aerosol propellant can again, or if that is a false economy given the mess I made last time? If a compressor isn't too pricey I may go for that - would be be interested to know what model you bought? 

​All the best and keep up the great work!! Cheers, Phil. 

Phil, Jeremy is right, buy an airbrush and have a go, I use railmatch paints and thinners, I prefer the enamels, I find them easier to apply. I have 3 rail blue 86's and 2 in intercity along with an 87 under way at the mo. I'll try and put a couple of pictures up over the weekend.

I will say my track and tracklaying is nothing like Jeremy's and this thread is a real pleasure to read and feel jealous about! But seriously it is a pleasure to read.

Dave

Thanks so much Dave - I'm really inspired by Jeremy's work and am keen to do just that :)  Yep, like you my track looks decidedly dodgy compared to Jeremy's!

Look forward to seeing your pics - can you direct me to the thread where you will post them?

Thanks so much for the advice and very kind words Jeremy - this thread is hugely inspirational and its great that you are flying the flag for n-gauge AC electrics! 

Can I ask - the Voilamart airbrush - do you use a compressor with it or one of the cans of aerosol propellant? I have an old Badger airbrush but am appalled to say I have never used it, aside from one attempt that ended up in an almighty mess - but you have encouraged me to have a another go so thanks very much for that!!

I'm wondering whether to try with an aerosol propellant can again, or if that is a false economy given the mess I made last time? If a compressor isn't too pricey I may go for that - would be be interested to know what model you bought? 

​All the best and keep up the great work!! Cheers, Phil.

Hi Phil,

This is the one I was recommended to buy

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/200973737237?_mwBanner=1

It's reallly worked well for me and I haven't looked back. With the dual compressors you keep a constant pressure when spraying for longer periods. It came with the airbrush too so quite a nice little bundle.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Wow that looks a great set actually offering 3 airbrush guns in with the price. I have the same compressor but I paid more than £100 for that alone back in the day. Been working now over 10 years though so a great buy.

It's not dual compressor though its is a header tank that is charged by the compressor which then provides a constant feed tot he brush. The compressor then only charges the tank when needed so you don't get pulsating pressure to the gun.

Decided to get the airbrush out last night and paint the pantograph well. Quite pleased with how it's turned out. Just the side grills to paint, varnish and transfers to go and maybe a little light weathering!

attachicon.gifIMG_7701.JPG

Best regards,

Jeremy

Looks great Jeremy and thanks for the advice on the airbrush :)

Can I ask how you managed to mask the blue sides up to roof level to avoid any seepage of the light grey in the pantograph well down onto the blue sides? I had always assumed I would need to paint the well by hand because if the difficult of masking? 

The 86 is looking great by the way!! 

Cheers, Phil. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
cornish trains jez, on 29 Nov 2016 - 11:17, said:

Decided to get the airbrush out last night and paint the pantograph well. Quite pleased with how it's turned out. Just the side grills to paint, varnish and transfers to go and maybe a little light weathering!

attachicon.gifIMG_7701.JPG

Best regards,

Jeremy

Very nice work, as usual, Jeremy. But those couplings are going to have to go . . . :nono:

David

• Like 1

Never mind painting trains.....hurry up and get the track wired up and the platforms built........I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!!  :crazy:  :crazy:

Mike

Hi Mike,

I do need to crack on with some track work again and I plan to do plenty over the coming weeks. Once done, I've decided to wire up starting platform 17 and then moving back across the board. I can't wait to get some trains running either, especially the 317!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Looks great Jeremy and thanks for the advice on the airbrush :)

Can I ask how you managed to mask the blue sides up to roof level to avoid any seepage of the light grey in the pantograph well down onto the blue sides? I had always assumed I would need to paint the well by hand because if the difficult of masking? 

The 86 is looking great by the way!! 

Cheers, Phil.

Cheers Phil. I masked off the cab roofs first, one strip of tape on each one and then a long strip down the sides of the top of the pantograph well. Then some small sheets of paper were cut and the taped onto the sides and front and some additional strips just to seal the side to the front sheets.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Very nice work, as usual, Jeremy. But those couplings are going to have to go . . . :nono:

David

The N scale couplings are pretty hideous! I'll eventually have DG's.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Good man, Jeremy. I knew you could be trusted! Do note that the DGs don't have to go on the bogie and can be mounted on the buffer beam which means that you can also have a full compliment of pipes without a swinging coupling fouling them.

A couple of snaps here of examples:

post-9616-0-43769400-1480431481_thumb.jpg

post-9616-0-04101900-1480431505_thumb.jpg

With your high value turnouts (C8, C9, D10 ?) there shouldn't be any trouble backing trains over them but it may be as well to check with one loco and train first. I do think that the couplings on the coaches will have to be on the bogie though, too much end swing otherwise. Kadees should be good within rakes I would think.

David

• Like 5

Depending on your curves of course David. It wont be an issue for Jeremy as Euston is pretty straight however I have mounted my DGs on the bogies as I have second radius equivalent return curves at the ends on my layouts.

Good man, Jeremy. I knew you could be trusted! Do note that the DGs don't have to go on the bogie and can be mounted on the buffer beam which means that you can also have a full compliment of pipes without a swinging coupling fouling them.A couple of snaps here of examples:attachicon.gif001.JPGattachicon.gif003.JPGWith your high value turnouts (C8, C9, D10 ?) there shouldn't be any trouble backing trains over them but it may be as well to check with one loco and train first. I do think that the couplings on the coaches will have to be on the bogie though, too much end swing otherwise. Kadees should be good within rakes I would think.David

That 73 looks great!!

Depending on your curves of course David. It wont be an issue for Jeremy as Euston is pretty straight however I have mounted my DGs on the bogies as I have second radius equivalent return curves at the ends on my layouts.

Agree. The station throat is fairly straight into the platforms so hopefully not too many problems. Although the push into the station may add some complications.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

Well, I have my track laying mojo back, so time to crack on with some more of it.

Whilst I'm at it, I couldn't help posing the 317 for a photo on the layout. Here she is waiting to depart to Birmingham New street. (Anyone fancy doing this station in N/2FS!?!)

post-10222-0-71583200-1481575807_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 19

Whilst I'm at it, I couldn't help posing the 317 for a photo on the layout. Here she is waiting to depart to Birmingham New street. (Anyone fancy doing this station in N/2FS!?!)

You could place it next to Jim Smith Wright's New Street and tell people it isn't small, it's Euston, it's far away!

• Like 3