Looking great buddy. 

Certainly a lot of spray work going on. It'll be a shame to respray the RES one, if you are careful with some white spirit/thinners soaked cotton buds you may be able to get the lower part off leaving only the top grey to paint over.

How come 210s lower bodyside is grey?

Will it be mainline intercity?

Edited by RBE

Looking great buddy.

Certainly a lot of spray work going on. It'll be a shame to respray the RES one, if you are careful with some white spirit/thinners soaked cotton buds you may be able to get the lower part off leaving only the top grey to paint over.

How come 210s lower bodyside is grey?

Will it be mainline intercity?

Cheers buddy. I hadn't thought of that for the RES 86 and it's certainly worth a try. Will save a whole load of extra work too.

Yes, 86210 will be mainline Intercity as in this photo taken in 1989

https://flic.kr/p/cCf1xs

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

Thank you.

I didn't have any skills to begin with but I got some advice and had a go.

Best regards,

Jeremy

It seems the advice was well received because you're doing a bloody good job!

As for the wiring, it is a quite a painful process, but I have grown to enjoy it. It can take weeks & you get to see nothing of it at all when you flip the boards back the right way up.

It felt worthwhile when I ran a train under its own power though. I am sure you will get a good feeling when you run something too.

It seems the advice was well received because you're doing a bloody good job!

As for the wiring, it is a quite a painful process, but I have grown to enjoy it. It can take weeks & you get to see nothing of it at all when you flip the boards back the right way up.

It felt worthwhile when I ran a train under its own power though. I am sure you will get a good feeling when you run something too.

Thank you. I can't wait to get something running but it feels a long way off yet. I'm wiring up the droppers first and then I'll crack on with the turnout motors.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• 3 weeks later...

I can't belive the speed you are progressing at Jeremy. Great stuff. I am really enjoying following your progress. It has brought back some very happy memories of visiting euston as a very young and excited kid in the very late 80s and into the 90s.

I can't wait to see the class 86s resprays running, they look superb already.

Keep up the good work.

Dave

I can't belive the speed you are progressing at Jeremy. Great stuff. I am really enjoying following your progress. It has brought back some very happy memories of visiting euston as a very young and excited kid in the very late 80s and into the 90s.

I can't wait to see the class 86s resprays running, they look superb already.

Keep up the good work.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I'm hoping to have something running soon and will post a video as soon as I have. The locos are coming along well and I have a 91 on my work bench too now which is being super detailed and is nearly ready for the primer to be sprayed on.  I quite like having a few things on the go as it keeps the mojo flowing!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

A small update this evening as I have to admit, I've not done a huge amount on the layout over the last week or so. Yesterday, I started laying the track that will be under the train shed going into platforms 1 and 2. With the boards firmly butted up to each other, I threaded on the sleepers from one board over to the other in order that they line up perfectly and stay lined up while the glue dried. I'll clip the rail ends off at some point this week so each track should then line up very nicely across the board ends.

post-10222-0-48459400-1499114819_thumb.jpg

I've been considering the retaining walls over the past few weeks and have decided to give brick papers a go. The Slaters plasticard that I already have is ok but I can't see me being able to get a near accurate representation.

So I've downloaded scalescenes dark blue brick and it seems to have printed to a reasonable colour and I think, once I've had a bash at weathering it with some powders and pastels, I'll get a good result.

Tonight I've built a small section of retaining wall which is currently under a heavy book while the paper glues flat to the card I have. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow morning before I leave for work and post it on here during the course of the morning when I get a free moment.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 16

As promised, here is a quick picture taken this morning of the small section of retaining wall I made last night. There's still a bit more to add to it before the structure is finished. I'm quite impressed with the look of the papers and with some weathering, should fit in quite nicely. Well I hope anyway!

post-10222-0-19367500-1499149741_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 12

I agree, the brick look very good and as mentioned the releif in mortar lines is negligible on this scale. Looks like the same sheets I used in 4mm scale on Outon Road to great effect.

I think that looks spot on as a basis,

I've always thought printed bricks look far superior in N/2mm scale, with the smaller scale meaning the relief in the mortar lines is negligible

I agree, the brick look very good and as mentioned the releif in mortar lines is negligible on this scale. Looks like the same sheets I used in 4mm scale on Outon Road to great effect.

Thanks guys! I've only used brick papers once before but that was a long time ago when I built a goods shed for a layout I was building at the time. I think I used superquick brick papers back then.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Jeremy.

One problem you might need to consider, though. If the retaining wall is very long, and depending on how you cut the brick paper sheets, there is a tendency for any repeating pattern of weathering to stand out. Our brains are very good at spotting patterns.

Ian

Yesterday, I started laying the track that will be under the train shed going into platforms 1 and 2. With the boards firmly butted up to each other, I threaded on the sleepers from one board over to the other in order that they line up perfectly and stay lined up while the glue dried. I'll clip the rail ends off at some point this week so each track should then line up very nicely across the board ends.

Great to see you are progressing so well!

One word of warning though - your method of track crossing baseboard joints is far too vulnerable to damage and would be very difficult to repair or adjust. I speak from practical experience! Something far more robust is advisable, even more so as you will eventually have overhead wires and other stuff in the way.

Looking good Jeremy.

One problem you might need to consider, though. If the retaining wall is very long, and depending on how you cut the brick paper sheets, there is a tendency for any repeating pattern of weathering to stand out. Our brains are very good at spotting patterns.

Ian

Cheers Ian. I did notice the pattern of weathering and I'm hoping to "hide" some of this with some additional weathering using pastels and powders.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Great to see you are progressing so well!

One word of warning though - your method of track crossing baseboard joints is far too vulnerable to damage and would be very difficult to repair or adjust. I speak from practical experience! Something far more robust is advisable, even more so as you will eventually have overhead wires and other stuff in the way.

The track ends at the baseboard joins and I'll be putting some copper clad sleepers on the ends just to add some strength just in case there is the occasional knock when dismantling and setting up. I've only got it crossing the baseboard joins while the glue dried so I had a god alignment.

I'll get some more photos soon of the track.

Thanks for looking in.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

If you have access to Coral Draw and Photo Paint, 2mm Association member Henk created a 'toolkit' that produces randomly shaded brickwork that can produce a different sheet every time.

http://www.fs160.eu/fiNeweb/CAMbuildings/printpaper.xhtml

I have not used it myself, but it could be worth looking into.

Ian.

If you have access to Coral Draw and Photo Paint, 2mm Association member Henk created a 'toolkit' that produces randomly shaded brickwork that can produce a different sheet every time.

http://www.fs160.eu/fiNeweb/CAMbuildings/printpaper.xhtml

I have not used it myself, but it could be worth looking into.

Ian.

Thanks Ian. I'll take a look.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

One of the great things about my job is that I get to meet many different and interesting people from all walks of life, and occasionally I stumble across someone who shares a mutual interest in railways like myself. That said, I have been lucky to have a sign commissioned for me by someone I met through work for the layout in the exact NSE and BR colours. It's a reproduction of an actual sign that was at the station. I provided a photo of it and this is what they produced for me.

I proudly picked it up today and I'm really chuffed with the end result.

Here it is displayed on the layout. I'll hang it on the wall eventually and it will also be taken with me when I exhibit Euston.

attachicon.gifIMG_8908.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8906.JPG

Thanks again Neil for sorting this for me!

Best regards,

Jeremy

That is fabulous Jeremy!! I suspect many of us (myself included) would like to ask your friend to do some work like this for our own layouts! Your layout is brilliant and is going to be even more brilliant when finished and that sign will be the cherry on the icing on the cake I expect!

That is fabulous Jeremy!! I suspect many of us (myself included) would like to ask your friend to do some work like this for our own layouts! Your layout is brilliant and is going to be even more brilliant when finished and that sign will be the cherry on the icing on the cake I expect!

Cheers Phil. It's taken a few years to get this far and I'm hoping to get all the wiring completed by end of the year so I can show some

stock running. Very pleased with the sign!

Best regards,

Jeremy