Good morning,

A day off work today (with the wife at work and our little man now at school) has allowed me a day to get a few things progressed on the loco fleet. So out came the airbrush this morning!

37401 was first up and has now been glossed ready for transfers. Here she is prior to glossing - she now looks really shiny!!

post-10222-0-32881500-1505990779_thumb.jpg

Next up was the 91. I masked off and sprayed on the yellow warning panels. A few dusty yellow leaks through the masking can be seen around the cab doors but these have now been wiped clean away with some thinners.

I've decided to have a go at scratch building some new cab front window frames on this so we shall see how they turn out. I think it will be worth the effort and make a difference from the Farish one with the front looking more accurate if I can get it right.

post-10222-0-73196800-1505990865_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-67826300-1505990926_thumb.jpg

Last up was 86210 and the pantograph well has received a thin coat of executive light grey. I've also touched in the TDM bits and added the bufferbeam detail. Just one more pipe to add now. Does anyone know whether the side cab window frames were painted black on this one? I've had a look at some photos and it's really difficult to tell.

post-10222-0-44616900-1505990990_thumb.jpg

After lunch I'm planning on getting on with the fiddle yard approaches from the station on templot. Should be fun!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 16

Yes a far cry from the blinding efforts you get on models these days just "because you can".

Agree absolutely - I see no point in having working lights on any of my locos as they are all from the late 60s/early 70s, long before true headlights were fitted, and as you say, marker lights and headcode panel illumination was invisible during daylight. Still need to get round to disconnecting a few though

Good morning,

A day off work today (with the wife at work and our little man now at school) has allowed me a day to get a few things progressed on the loco fleet. So out came the airbrush this morning!

37401 was first up and has now been glossed ready for transfers. Here she is prior to glossing - she now looks really shiny!!

attachicon.gifIMG_9195.JPG

Next up was the 91. I masked off and sprayed on the yellow warning panels. A few dusty yellow leaks through the masking can be seen around the cab doors but these have now been wiped clean away with some thinners.

I've decided to have a go at scratch building some new cab front window frames on this so we shall see how they turn out. I think it will be worth the effort and make a difference from the Farish one with the front looking more accurate if I can get it right.

attachicon.gifP9210210.JPG

attachicon.gifP9210211.JPG

Last up was 86210 and the pantograph well has received a thin coat of executive light grey. I've also touched in the TDM bits and added the bufferbeam detail. Just one more pipe to add now. Does anyone know whether the side cab window frames were painted black on this one? I've had a look at some photos and it's really difficult to tell.

attachicon.gifP9210212.JPG

After lunch I'm planning on getting on with the fiddle yard approaches from the station on templot. Should be fun!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Try this link

http://www.platformart.co.uk/photos/large/archive/48.jpg

alan

Good evening,

Bit of a layout update today. I've been concentrating on the corner section and curves which will eventually take the trains to and from the fiddle yard.

Spent best part of the afternoon building the baseboard and constructing the supports for it in the shed. So here it is in position. There's a just a small piece of ply left to fit on the main board to join it to the corner section.

post-10222-0-93144000-1506276275_thumb.jpg

Last week, i created on templot the return curves using the original Euston plan which I had saved. I have basically shifted the plan along on the trackpad to 105cm from the left hand side and then added in the curves. I printed them out this week and thankfully it fits nicely on the corner board. As I have a meter at this end the curves are a nice radius for close coupled coach sets. The seven tracks leading out of the station throat merge into four tracks. Once in the fiddle yard, each track will seperate into three tracks giving me twelve roads in total in the fiddle yard. Hopefully this will be enough. I may need to consider sixteen roads though, we shall see.

Here's the plan laid out.

post-10222-0-19911100-1506276805_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-51981500-1506276851_thumb.jpg

On the rolling stock front, I've now glossed 37401 and added the transfers and nameplates. Just needs a coat of matt varnish to seal it all in now.

post-10222-0-00120800-1506276933_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 19

All looking good mate. I take it that the boards will be removable for exhibition purposes?

Cheers mate. I'll be building a second fiddle yard which will be purely for exhibition purposes. The only two removable sections from the shed will be the main board and the train shed board.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Apparently, some 2-EPBs were fitted with bars over door droplights in the 1980s, for use on Richmond- North Woolwich services.

The bars were for Hampstead Heath tunnel, the DC line tunnels at Euston are mainly circular being made from cast iron segments. So there is enough spare space to the side for the DC tunnels at South Hampstead and Kensal Green  to have a walkway right through.

Although the tube train drivers could be funny about you using the ones through Kensal Green. Had a Tube train stop behind us once in BR days with the driver asking if we should be using the walkway with the trains running. He was then told by a large Irish PW supervisor that he was on the real railway now, and that as BR PW staff we would go where we liked.

• Like 1

It's funny looking at the throat I always imagined it was wider than that but it is just seven tracks there.

The four backing out roads on the Dn side beside the shed before you got to the seven running lines made it look wider.

The four backing out roads on the Dn side beside the shed before you got to the seven running lines made it look wider.

I would have liked to have included the section after the Hampstead Road bridge with the carriage shed but I haven't got the space. I think it's another 2.5m in length in 2mm scale.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

You've done wonders already.

Out of interest how will trains cross (say from the extreme left hand track to the extreme right hand track via the fiddle yard?

Thanks. I haven't made any provisions for trains crossing although I'll need to have some crossovers somewhere as locos being released from the blocks will need to be able to come under the Hampstead Road bridge and then crossover to get back to the station and onto the stabling roads next to platform 15.

I may need to incorporate this on my next section of templot.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Looking very nice that Jeremy.

With regards to storage yard capacity, I remember when we first built the new fiddle yards for Runswick Leamside back in 1994. The first time we put the whole thing up, I thought " How are we gonna fill all that?". Roll it forward 7 years and prior to attending the BRM show at Wembley and we had to extend the width of the yard by another 6 roads at 25 feet, to accomodate all the stock that we had been working on!

From then on, and it's something I've now incorporated into Glasgow Queen St, my mantra has been that you can't have too much storage space. Even if you think that you'll never fill it - you will! It's always better to incorporate that amount of storage capacity at the start, just in case. You may never have enough trains to fill it, but it's always good to allow for that possibility - saves a lot of heartache further down the road, if you had to start ripping bits up in order to extend the fiddle yard, it would be a lot harder than if it had been planned in from the beginning.

cheers

Andy

Looking very nice that Jeremy.

With regards to storage yard capacity, I remember when we first built the new fiddle yards for Runswick Leamside back in 1994. The first time we put the whole thing up, I thought " How are we gonna fill all that?". Roll it forward 7 years and prior to attending the BRM show at Wembley and we had to extend the width of the yard by another 6 roads at 25 feet, to accomodate all the stock that we had been working on!

From then on, and it's something I've now incorporated into Glasgow Queen St, my mantra has been that you can't have too much storage space. Even if you think that you'll never fill it - you will! It's always better to incorporate that amount of storage capacity at the start, just in case. You may never have enough trains to fill it, but it's always good to allow for that possibility - saves a lot of heartache further down the road, if you had to start ripping bits up in order to extend the fiddle yard, it would be a lot harder than if it had been planned in from the beginning.

cheers

Andy

Hi Andy, thank you for your comments and advice. From what you say I think I'll go for the 16 road fiddle yard then as I'd rather only build it once. I really like Runswick Leamside, fantastic layout. Was there a Runswick Quay too? I'm sure I remember seeing a photo somewhere in Model Rail many years ago when it came as a supplement in RAIL magazine.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Andy, thank you for your comments and advice. From what you say I think I'll go for the 16 road fiddle yard then as I'd rather only build it once. I really like Runswick Leamside, fantastic layout. Was there a Runswick Quay too? I'm sure I remember seeing a photo somewhere in Model Rail many years ago when it came as a supplement in RAIL magazine.

Best regards,

Jeremy

There was Jeremy! You've got a very good memory mate. 'Runswick Quay' was the original Macclesfield club's layout that was rescued by the three original builders of Leamside and made into an attempted exhibition layout. Oriiginally a fiddle yard to terminus arrangement, it was then altered into a 'roundy roundy' in 1992 and even made it to ModelRail '93 at St Albans! None of us were happy with it though as there was lots wrong in the construction, etc etc.

After '93, it was flattened and some of the boards were used in the construction of 'Runswick Leamside', which then debuted in '96 before being retired from the circuit in 2009, having done something in the region of about 45 exhibitions.

After moving around the country in retirement a couple of times, 'Leamside' was sold to members of The Shildon club, who as far as I am aware still have it.

In fact, on YouTube somewhere, there is footage of Rapido's APT-E runnning around it at Locomotion, Shildon when they launched it.

Keep up the good work with Euston mate.

Cheers

Andy

Good evening,

I've been working on templot this evening and adding in the fiddle roads. I've added in 9 of the 12 roads. I was originally hoping for 16 roads (4 off of each of the 4 roads out of the station) but having remeasured, I'm getting a little tight on space and I would like room still in the shed to get to all parts of the layout comfortably. The other reason is that I do not want the radius's to be too tight and the tightest one so far is 438mm.

So here is what I have come up with so far, the straight sections on the right hand side are where the door to the shed is and I'm going to make this section removable. It will either be a lift off section that slots into place or a hinged section that lifts out of the way to allow access. Any suggestions on this would be most welcome. I'm quite favouring the hinged option at the moment.

Here is a screen shot of the current state of play.

post-10222-0-66161100-1506630867_thumb.jpg

It's a little messy but should work ok. The sidings are over 2m long each which should allow me to marshall several of the local services in the same siding as long as there is a sequence in place for them to leave towards the station and not block each other in.

Just three more roads to add now off of the fourth road out of the station.

Another idea I had was to add a four track mainline country section where the fiddle yard is now and then have the fiddle yard underneath the main Euston station throat board. But for now, I'll leave the fiddle yard where it is a keep this idea in mind for the future,

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hinged sections can be tricky.  The hinge needs to be above the level of any trackwork and at the other end you need the mating face to slope at an angle, i would guess at least 10 degrees.  if you haven't got room for hinges on blocks send me a PM as I have some spare ladder hinges from an old layout that don't take up much space.

I would also echo Colin's comments as you need some way to shift trains from up to down lines and vice versa.   Also you obviously need to have sidings on the 4th main line so how about going down to 3 sidings per main line track or possibly a double decker yard. There are a whole series of prototype diveunders etc. on the Euston approaches.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Hi Jemery,

That looks like an epic bit of Templotting.  Just one question: how will trains cross over from the down to up lines (and vice versa) in the fiddle yard?

Colin

Thanks Colin. I hated templot to begin with and now I love it! I’m going to have some crossovers between all four tracks as I’ll need the locos released from the blocks to be able to exit the station and then reappear on the stabling road near platform 15 and 16. The crossovers will be on the straight section on the left hand side.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 3

Hinged sections can be tricky.  The hinge needs to be above the level of any trackwork and at the other end you need the mating face to slope at an angle, i would guess at least 10 degrees.  if you haven't got room for hinges on blocks send me a PM as I have some spare ladder hinges from an old layout that don't take up much space.

I would also echo Colin's comments as you need some way to shift trains from up to down lines and vice versa.   Also you obviously need to have sidings on the 4th main line so how about going down to 3 sidings per main line track or possibly a double decker yard. There are a whole series of prototype diveunders etc. on the Euston approaches.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I quite like the idea of a hinged section and I’ll take your advice on board. I may get my dad to think this one out and build it for me as he’s pretty handy with anything to do with woodwork.

I’ll be adding in the 3 remaining sidings off the fourth track out of the station. Not sure about the double decker fiddle yard though!

As mentioned previously, there will be a different and far bigger fiddle yard which I will take to exhibitions.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Perhaps a year or two too early but a good 10mins or so footage from Euston towards the end.

Great layout, do like a large (semi) terminus at a Capital city!

Because Waverley seemed to have a fairly predictable pattern as far as which trains used which platforms I have build it so that a train leaves its platform, goes round the layout in a loop then enters the same track but stays hidden as it stops short of appearing in the visible section of the track it departed from. When its time comes to arrive again it goes back round the layout in the opposite direction, then arrives again in the same track it left but stays visible in the scenic section. In effect the station is one big fiddle yard, part of which the bit between Waverley Bridge and The Mound Tunnel is scenic. Just an idea.

• Like 3

Perhaps a year or two too early but a good 10mins or so footage from Euston towards the end.

Great layout, do like a large (semi) terminus at a Capital city!

Because Waverley seemed to have a fairly predictable pattern as far as which trains used which platforms I have build it so that a train leaves its platform, goes round the layout in a loop then enters the same track but stays hidden as it stops short of appearing in the visible section of the track it departed from. When its time comes to arrive again it goes back round the layout in the opposite direction, then arrives again in the same track it left but stays visible in the scenic section. In effect the station is one big fiddle yard, part of which the bit between Waverley Bridge and The Mound Tunnel is scenic. Just an idea.

That's a cracking bit of footage! I've got 2 Modern Traction Archive DVD's featuring solely Bletchley station in 1987 (around 3 1/2 hours of footage) and I was tempted to model Euston in this period. The variety of liveries and coach formation combinations is quite vast and would make for an interesting layout to operate however I really wanted to model the class 90's and the introduction of the MK3 DVT's on some services so 1989 was chosen as a good transition period.

Best regards,

Jeremy