Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Thanks guys, you lot keep my thread going when I haven't anything to add!!!!!!! :onthequiet:  :scratchhead:

Anyway, just a little bit of news. I've started one of those free websites for Talyllyn Junction, can be found here:   https://talyllyn-junction.weebly.com/

Comments always gratefully received, but be gentle I only started it last night!

Jinty ;)

• Like 12

Hi Brian,

Lovely work and attention to detail as usual.

Once I get my finger out and get the platforms in place, it will have somewhere to sit when it's done.

Thanks mate.

I'm awaiting for No7 to be reprinted in 2018 as it says on the Irwell Press website.

I believe there was a 64xx shedded at Merthyr or Neath in the early 60's and I do like the look of the MOK kit!

Good afternoon Coachman, yes I've been looking at your Dean Goods on your Carrog thread, I also fitted one with a Zimo sound decoder for my friend, ended up hardwiring it in as the 8-pin interface was faulty.

Also, did you know that Talyllyn Junction was one of the last stomping grounds for the Dean Goods, right up to 1958!!!

Jinty ;)

Merthyr had a shed load ( not literally) of 64xx locos, but in the 60s this was reduced to 6416, 6433 and 6436. They would have reached Pontsticill Junction.

OMG another website to follow ............................Looking good keep the job going , you do have a lot buildings to build Jinty  :stinker:

Thanks Martin.

Ah but you see I don't DO buildings, my good friend Brian builds my buildings for me, and does a fantastic job.

Just something I can't get to grips with. Most other things yes, but not buildings.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Thanks Martin.

Ah but you see I don't DO buildings, my good friend Brian builds my buildings for me, and does a fantastic job.

Just something I can't get to grips with. Most other things yes, but not buildings.

Jinty ;)

I'm the same, George T built my Station Building and Signal Box for Trebudoc, I tried a Gaugemaster Signal Box kit for my Kings Moreton, and ended up with glue all over my fingers, finger marks all over the plastic, and the windows in up side down, :O and that was a simple kit. :no:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Martin.

Jinty ;)

I can sympathise with that.

I can do most things, but the 'arty farty' stuff like realistic rural scenery or painting and weathering leaves me totally up the creek without a paddle.

I can sympathise with that.

I can do most things, but the 'arty farty' stuff like realistic rural scenery or painting and weathering leaves me totally up the creek without a paddle.

Lining is where I fall flat, hence inter alia 1950s South Wales Valleys where most engines are variations of unlined black and grime.

• Like 2

Good evening all.

Well after a rather travelled Friday, I made some deliveries and collected a few bits too.

One of the things I collected was the next locomotive for Talyllyn, a Dapol Fowler 3F 'Jinty' 0-6-0 tank loco in BR Black livery with late crest. She will be numbered as 47479 a Swansea locomotive before final movement up North before withdrawal and scrapping. I have ordered the smokebox number, shed code, Vulcan Works plates and tank capacity plate from Narrow Planet and some numbering transfers. I need to scratch off the overhead electrification warnings as she didn't get them till she went back to Crewe.

A couple of photos of her on the plank before fitting with transfers, Sound Decoder, Speaker and Capacitor.

post-14906-0-56056300-1511036241_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-70663700-1511036250_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-26326900-1511036258_thumb.jpg

Another thing I picked up was the Tunnel Mouth for Talyllyn.

This has been built by Brian and he's done an outstanding job of it. Thanks Brian ;)

Here is a picture of it in poor light in situ

post-14906-0-28403200-1511036266_thumb.jpg

And here is a low angle shot of the station with a short train in platform 2 and the tunnel in the distance.

I think the picture is starting to come together slowly.

post-14906-0-60933600-1511036274_thumb.jpg

And finally, a tunnel mouth wouldn't be complete without a clearance test would it?

Jinty ;)

• Like 15

Ooh very nice David, that tunnel really does set the scene, well done Brian another superb piece of structural engineering, we saw the station in the flesh the other week, looks great the pictures don’t do you work justice.

Best regards
Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

Thanks Andy ,lol I was a little worried about it’s fitting lol

Brian

Looks really good Brian,

I've just gone for the cheap cop out and brought the Peco version of a tunnel mouth, it should look OK with some tittivation, the building of structures is one side of the hobby that I still need to get to grips with.

Martyn.

Good question Martyn lol ,I’ve had the same problem ,I tried UHU and evostick both warped the wood , I’ve not tried it on buildings yet but you should be safe with PVA I’ve never had it warp anything ,I’ll take longer to dry but shouldn’t react

I’m going to have a go with something like solvent free no nails see what that does

P.s I’ll be avoid anything with a solvent in it

Brian

Use PVA but also tack it with hot glue, that way everything is held in place while the PVA dries.

No more nails is good as well and can be sanded once dry.

Martyn

Good evening all.

Well after a rather travelled Friday, I made some deliveries and collected a few bits too.

One of the things I collected was the next locomotive for Talyllyn, a Dapol Fowler 3F 'Jinty' 0-6-0 tank loco in BR Black livery with late crest. She will be numbered as 47479 a Swansea locomotive before final movement up North before withdrawal and scrapping. I have ordered the smokebox number, shed code, Vulcan Works plates and tank capacity plate from Narrow Planet and some numbering transfers. I need to scratch off the overhead electrification warnings as she didn't get them till she went back to Crewe.

A couple of photos of her on the plank before fitting with transfers, Sound Decoder, Speaker and Capacitor.

attachicon.gifTally 261.jpg

attachicon.gifTally 262.jpg

attachicon.gifTally 263.jpg

Another thing I picked up was the Tunnel Mouth for Talyllyn.

This has been built by Brian and he's done an outstanding job of it. Thanks Brian ;)

Here is a picture of it in poor light in situ

attachicon.gifTally 264.jpg

And here is a low angle shot of the station with a short train in platform 2 and the tunnel in the distance.

I think the picture is starting to come together slowly.

attachicon.gifTally 265.jpg

And finally, a tunnel mouth wouldn't be complete without a clearance test would it?

Jinty ;)

Paul Chetter has done a great job for us with this sound project. 

• Like 3

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, as this part of the hobby is a grey area to me.

When I built my station the material was laser cut mdf, it was recommended to use a special glue that I had never heard of before. It's made by " Deluxe" and called " Super'Phatic" . Now this glue is far from cheap but it is amazing stuff although I have not used it on any other materials as yet.

It is odourless and according to the bottle it bonds, wood,plastic,foam,carbon fibre,GRP. It sets in around 10 minutes, so I was just wondering if anyone else has tried it ?

Anyway sorry for the hijack David, back to you guys.

Martyn.