Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jinty,

My spell check has stopped calling you Minty! Siri must have been trained on Stanier locos after all this time!

Enjoy following your progress as and when, hopefully a bit more often now!  Happy New Year to you and Sarah, hope to see you in 2018 for catch up.

All the best

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Happy New Year all.

I've been on the road most of this last week so not much posted although I'll be making amends for that over these next couple of weeks.

I've misplaced some photos of some VAA's I did before Christmas, not sure where I put them when I uploaded them to the PC, but I'm going to have a look later.

Anyway on to Talyllyn.

A new arrival this week whilst I was away, in the shape of the Hattons Warwell, H7-WW-705 Warwell wagon with diamond bogies, numbered M360333 and in BR grey livery.

I'm rather pleased with the wagon, it is quite heavy and has a die-cast body which gives it a substantial weight on the track. The bogies are exquisite and very free running. The B2B of the wheels was accurate so no adjustment was needed for my 31.5 (O-MF) trackwork.

Here are a few pictures:

post-14906-0-14992800-1515928704_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-08534100-1515928712_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-57130200-1515928722_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-23822900-1515928731_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-33682400-1515928739_thumb.jpg

The sunlight was a bit low through the garage window and casting shadows, so I'll take some more pictures once it's been through the weathering shop!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

They do look very nice. What load are you going to put on it ?

It's got to be a boiler Steve, possibly one of those from Duncan Models, or the other possibility is getting a JLTRT resin one and making a frame for it out of sleepers.

That's something for the distant future though, plenty to be cracking on with.

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

Talking about cracking on with something............................

The Minerva Iron Mink has had a bit of a treatment in the weathering shop. Finding colour pictures of these in service in the 1950's was difficult, but I'm hoping I've captured the look of them ok after working from B&W pictures.

post-14906-0-57076000-1515936643_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-22842700-1515936651_thumb.jpg

Jinty ;)

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like you need to fit a stronger spring on the Jinty's coupling to prevent all that too-ing & fro-ing on the drawbar. It brings to mind the same problem with Kadee couplings in 4mm.

Totally agree Coachman, I believe the problem lays with the Tower E147 Composite.

The E147 is not a good runner on my handbuilt track, yet everything else is.

I took the bogie off and compared the wheels to other wheels on coaching stock and the flange is a clear 0.75mm deeper than anything else I have, also the angle of the tread is steeper, making the wheel sit much lower to the extent of catching the fishplate bolts.

So I'm pondering on taking the axleboxes and wheels out of the bogies and substituting them for Peartree Engineering ones that I have in stock.

Alternatively I may buy alternative bogies for the E147 and just do a straight replacement.

Jinty ;)

I made a small video this evening with a couple of trains at Talyllyn, one of which has been fitted with a lamp for train reporting on the front as a stopping passenger train.

http://youtu.be/QLQgr70bzjE

Hope you enjoy

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Always enjoyable to watch your video uploads, thank you, it also helps me to try and think ahead with my proposals too.

I have one of the earlier Minerva RTR Panniers ( bought at the Reading show in December) and I'm biting at the bit to run it in earnest!

With Larrys comments and yours about the coupling despite Minervas excellent models I'm slightly concerned about the light play of both the loco and a minks springs. I may well replace these at a later date.

One last thing, can I ask where the locos and stock end up when they disappear into the tunnel ?

Grahame

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2

Hi Jinty,

Always enjoyable to watch your video uploads, thank you, it also helps me to try and think ahead with my proposals too.

I have one of the earlier Minerva RTR Panniers ( bought at the Reading show in December) and I'm biting at the bit to run it in earnest!

With Larrys comments and yours about the coupling despite Minervas excellent models I'm slightly concerned about the light play of both the loco and a minks springs. I may well replace these at a later date.

One last thing, can I ask where the locos and stock end up when they disappear into the tunnel ?

Grahame

Hi Grahame,

Yes the springing is very light, but under normal conditions, ie, normal stock, it doesn't 'kangaroo', the stock just follows as it should. The only reason, I think, for the jerking is my E147 coach as the wheels are too big for my 31.5mm gauge trackwork, and thus dragging as it's being pulled along.

I don't think it would be a difficult job to fit a heavier spring if you so required either.

Where do the trains go? Well next to my garage is a small outhouse which is 8' x 8' and the trains currently just go into this, but once my new shed at the bottom of my garden has been built, they will continue on, down the garden to the new shed, therefore giving an extra 40' - 45' run.

Thanks for watching

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

Both my B-set coaches had a wheel-set out of the axleholes and splayed-out bogie sideframes on reciept.  I don't know what metal those sideframes are cast in but they proved difficult to bend straight (I was wary of snapping them). I agree, these suburban coaches do not run freely, unlike the Lionheart GWR auto coach which runs a dream. But, the bogies and indeed the whole underframe is useful.

Edited by coachmann

Both my B-set coaches had a wheel-set out of the axleholes and splayed-out bogie sideframes on reciept.  I don't know what metal those sideframes are cast in but they proved difficult to bend straight (I was wary of snapping them). I agree, these suburban coaches do not run freely, unlike the Lionheart GWR auto coach which runs a dream. But, the bogies and indeed the whole underframe is useful.

Strange that, My pair will run away with themselves an what appears to be level track at the Clubroom, where other 4 wheel Goods stock keep still. In fact coupling up was an issue it the Loco buffers nudged, as it would send the Coaches away an inch or so.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening all,

Rested and relaxed, from being on top of that Welsh mountain, then stressed up to the hilt as soon as the break was over!!!!

Oh well, that's life!!!

On a bit of a downer as well, I'd made a bit of a boo boo with the platforms on Talyllyn.

I'd actually made the uprights about 3mm too high which was a bit of a schoolboy error, but it needed addressing.

So I've ripped up all of the platform sub-structure on both sides and cleared the decks.

I also had a thought, dangerous I know, but I thought that it may be so much easier if I got the point rodding, signal wire and pulleys all in place prior to putting the reworked platform sub-structure in place.

Glad I did now as making up and fitting the likes of the compensators would of been nigh on impossible once the platforms were in place. So at least a little positive from a negative, which is always a bonus.

I've started with the twin rodding run alongside platform 2 which is the turnout in the tunnel and it's associated FPL.

I might of worked it out wrong, but in the total run from the signal box to the turnout and FPL I can see two compensators in photographs along the whole run. So I've started on the first section from the box to the first compensator.

Here are a couple of pictures of progress:

post-14906-0-57584400-1518727000_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-34830700-1518727009_thumb.jpg

And a cruel close-up of the first compensator, probably incorrect, but it's going to be shadowed considerably by the platform.

post-14906-0-64933000-1518727020_thumb.jpg

I've also had the distinct pleasure of two stunning Ground signals from Jon Fitness delivered this week.

He does such an excellent job of them, his craftsmanship is second to none.

I will take a couple of pictures of them, and the recent home signal on the Merthyr line that I haven't taken a picture of yet!!!

I have also received a Megapoints board with which to control the signals, I just need to make up a proper control panel now, to fit the buttons and LEDs to.

I have decided to work my Cobalt IP Digital point motors via push button only, not via DCC control. I prefer the option of pushing a button to change the points rather than typing in an address into my handset, this means I will be able to put my Multimaus controller back into service as a slave controller. I will power the Cobalts via a 12v DC transformer and the frog switching will be via a Hex Frog Juicer as most of them already are.

I am having the platform framework (sub-structure) laser cut for me for accuracy, then I will clad the platform edging with the Slaters stone sheets I already have.

More pictures very soon

Jinty ;)

EDITED: To say I've just spotted a chair missing, how did that happen????? :O

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 9

Hi Jints, I've been nagging you for 2 years now about the Platform tops for me to stand on when I visit, now there's not even a basic frame to perch me bum on hahah.  Hope it all works this time mate, and looking forward to seeing it all on my next visit.

• Like 1

Nice ( fiddly ! ) work there Jints, are the stools from Modelu by any chance ?

Sometimes it's two forward, one back, but if you end up with something that doesn't grate when you look at it then it's probably for the best.

Also interesting to hear you're proposing to separate the power to your point motors, having dug mine out last week I came to the same conclusion and think it's less " hassle " too.

I also dug this part finished scratch built lever frame out with the motors which I think would be more satisfying to use

post-20303-0-02129100-1518733870_thumb.jpeg

Grahame

• Like 9

Like the point rodding. How far past the end of the sleeper do the compensators go? I need rebates in my platform face on Pencarrow and it would be a useful check on how deep to make them. Thanks. 

Thanks Chris,

The black line on the baseboard is the position of the platform edging, so I'll need about a 1' rebate to clear the compensators.

Sorry to hear you’ve had to redo the platforms but the point rodding looks good ,not that I’ve any knowledge of it lol I’ve to start with point rodding soon before I ballast what’s best place to get the BR or ex LNER bits ?

Sorry to hijack

Brian

Hi Brian, 

The rodding itself is the square section from MSE, as well as the etches for the cranks, feet and compensators. I think Modelu do the standard BR rodding stools, but I do have some whitemetal castings here you can have if they are the right ones. I'll send you a picture tomorrow.  ;)

Hi Jints, I've been nagging you for 2 years now about the Platform tops for me to stand on when I visit, now there's not even a basic frame to perch me bum on hahah.  Hope it all works this time mate, and looking forward to seeing it all on my next visit.

You nag more than my Mrs!!!!!

Yes I'm going to start, and finish the platforms, it is about time, isn't it?

Nice ( fiddly ! ) work there Jints, are the stools from Modelu by any chance ?

Sometimes it's two forward, one back, but if you end up with something that doesn't grate when you look at it then it's probably for the best.

Also interesting to hear you're proposing to separate the power to your point motors, having dug mine out last week I came to the same conclusion and think it's less " hassle " too.

I also dug this part finished scratch built lever frame out with the motors which I think would be more satisfying to use

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Grahame

Thanks Grahame,

Yes the stools are the excellent Modelu ones, the MSE square section rodding slips through them nicely.

That's a rather nice lever frame you have there.

I do prefer to separate my turnout control from the driving of the trains, after all, it is just like that on the real thing!!!

Jinty  ;) 

• Like 3

David,

The compensators look ok to me (I’m not claiming expert status here!!!) but I wonder if the left hand one (further from the track) would not have been partially superimposed over the other - I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this in a photo, but no idea where, and th3 details are a bit hazy.

It impacts on Chris for the same reason, there would have to be a pocket in the platform face to accommodate it. Maybe a call to Stationmaster Mike?

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Rod were kept straight to compensator arms wherever possible. Multiple compensators were staggered on the primary longitudinal axis, e.g. http://www.clag.org.uk/pics/rodding/comp02.jpg

I don't recall seeing any that were staggered laterally.

Is there a useful guide, book or website that gives more info on how rodding was routed and how compensators were placed/arranged. I've got this task to come and, having seen what's involved on Jint's layout, think I need to get them in before the platform edging and ballasting.

Is there a useful guide, book or website that gives more info on how rodding was routed and how compensators were placed/arranged. I've got this task to come and, having seen what's involved on Jint's layout, think I need to get them in before the platform edging and ballasting.

There is an article here:    http://www.clag.org.uk/green09.html

More involved information here:    http://www.irse.org/minorrailways/publicdocuments/PA01%20-%20Mechanically%20Operated%20Points%20v2.pdf

I've only just found the latter this morning, so I will have a ponder before continuing.

Talyllyn did have a recess in at least one place on the platforms, so the compensators I've already done can stay. Thanks for the information Miss P.

I'm puzzled that Talyllyn had two compensators from the signal box to the turnout in the tunnel as, according to my reading, with the distance it could of been dealt with without any compensators. Or is it because it is on a curve?

Jinty ;)

Rod were kept straight to compensator arms wherever possible. Multiple compensators were staggered on the primary longitudinal axis, e.g. http://www.clag.org.uk/pics/rodding/comp02.jpg

I don't recall seeing any that were staggered laterally.

Hmmm, I'm a bit lost now, and it doesn't take a lot to confuse me. So to keep it simple does the configuration below look OK ?

post-7101-0-12400100-1518766976_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Martyn.

• Like 5