Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Thanks Dave, that's great.

It's the first photo I've seen with a hint of the electrical connection alongside the shorter vacuum pipe, presumably for allowing trailer-to-loco bell communication.

I know that by the 50s the mechanical whistle connection had been removed.

It looks like the wiring along the buffer beam to the junction box is still there, but the jumper cable to connect to the coaches has been removed. The connector would be housed in the holder seen below the additional vacuum hose. Presumably, the push-pull gear was out of use by then, even if not fully removed?

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Brrrr it's cold outside....................................... :(

Here's a little aquisition from that famous auction site which only just made triple figures!!!

A couple of the springs on the bogie sides have come adrift and one buffer has fell off, so it will be a case of soldering the bits back together and painting.

post-14906-0-45441900-1513111968_thumb.jpg

It is a flat ended version of the B'set coaches, does anyone know the diagram number off the top of their head before I trawl through Russel's coach book?

I'm thinking of a faded and grubby crimson livery, as it will look different sat next to my Maroon Lionheart set.

I also have two Scorpio Bow Ended B'set coach kits to build, so it will be a swap around vehicle, or maybe just a single coach working (Sunday service!!).

Jinty 

• Like 9

I can't say I was impressed with these coaches, as everything appeared to have a BR profile. It was what hacked me off with a GWR sunshine coach from Tower Models.

Ahhh, are you saying that it should be a bow ended vehicle?  :scared:

Jinty ;)

Talyllyn's Jinty now has her plates fitted from Narrow Planet.

Smokebox number, Shed Code, Vulcan Works plates and Tank Capacity plate on the rear bunker.

All excellently produced by Narrow Planet, no connection just a satisfied customer.

Here she is dressed.........................................

post-14906-0-50919600-1513284272_thumb.jpg

Next up is some subtle weathering for a reasonable condition, workaday example.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

No. I'm saying it should not be a bow-sided coach haha. It resembles an E147 brake compo of 1933 and is correct with flat ends.

Did these ever run as singles? I’ve only ever seen pairs of that diagram. Rule 1 notwithstanding of course...

Talyllyn's Jinty now has her plates fitted from Narrow Planet.

Smokebox number, Shed Code, Vulcan Works plates and Tank Capacity plate on the rear bunker.

All excellently produced by Narrow Planet, no connection just a satisfied customer.

Here she is dressed.........................................

attachicon.gifTally 269.jpg

Next up is some subtle weathering for a reasonable condition, workaday example.

Jinty ;)

Superb mate but just a little to clean, :O I'm sure you'll change that over the coming days, :sungum:  :sungum: hahha

Did these ever run as singles? I’ve only ever seen pairs of that diagram. Rule 1 notwithstanding of course...

I believe they did after reading on the GWR.org site about them. The singles had standard couplings on them whereas the pairs had like a solid bar between them.

Jinty ;)

post-14906-0-12893500-1513467272_thumb.jpg

I'd like to thank all who have followed and contributed to my threads over the last 12 months.

Hopefully I can make it worth your while visiting in 2018 too!!!

Might even get the [platforms done before Andy comes again ;)

Wishing everybody a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.

David ;)

• Like 19

And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family,

Look forward to further update throughout next year, and ditto I might even get my platforms finished ( I feel your pain ).

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

attachicon.gifTally Card11.jpg

I'd like to thank all who have followed and contributed to my threads over the last 12 months.

Hopefully I can make it worth your while visiting in 2018 too!!!

Might even get the [platforms done before Andy comes again ;)

Wishing everybody a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.

David ;)

Gooooood Morning and thanks David, obviously the same to you and Sarah.

Great pic and it's reminded me that I need to do the Buffer Heads properly on my Jinty. :no:

David,

Is the Christmas picture a take on the snow-covered real thing photo?

I recall some discussion about copyright, was it last year or am I dating...?

In any case, same to you & yours!

Best

Simon

Well if you don't know if you're dating, I'm pretty sure I don't!!!

Yes there was some infringement on the permissive use of a picture that I'd used to produce a Christmas Greeting last year.

So I've steered clear of raising anyone's blood pressure this time by doctoring a picture of my own.

The main point is that, simply being able to use one of my own pictures shows progress of some sort!

A new addition arrived last night in the form of the home signal for the Merthyr approach line, courtesy of Jon Fitness. I've cut the hole and plonked it in place as it shows some more progress at that end.

A good natter ensued and I think he enjoyed playing with his Class 25/1, although I forgot to do a video!!!  :(

I'll post a picture or two later.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Ruddy smellchequer. Doting! If MrsD thought I was dating I’d end up wearing that Duchess in a most uncomfortable fashion!!!

I thought there was a resemblance - and it’s fantastic to see how things have progressed over the 12 months, and along with the weathering you’ve been doing... you deserve to be well pleased.

All the best

Simon

Well it's as far away now as it can be!!!!!

The Mrs said I was just being miserable, still it's very true!!!

'er indoors was at work today, so some time was spent in the garage at the workbench.

I've managed to paint, fit transfers and cover with Testors the E147 single car B'set.

I'd already removed the original buffers as they were different sizes each end, as they should be when in fixed sets of two!! As this one is to be a single unit it would of had the standard GWR square shank buffers at both ends and no chains at the compartment end. So I replaced the buffers with a set of Markits ones and then made up some decent Vacuum and Steam Heat pipes.

I'd sprayed the body and chassis in Acid 8 Etch primer before the Xmas break, so it was ready to receive its colours.

I've gone for a flat faded Crimson colour for the body sides, which will become more apparent once it has been distressed as a hard worked unit. The ends and chassis were treated top a few coats of Halfords Satin Black and I've left the roof in grey primer to accept the coal dust and associated dirt.

The bogies are still in brass as I'm still chemically blackening the wheel treads prior to masking the treads up, as the wheels don't come out of the bogie easily.

All in all quite a productive day, and although I'm back to work tomorrow, I'm still hoping to get some scenic modelling done at some point.

Here are a couple of pictures of the E147 prior to detail painting and distressing/weathering.

post-14906-0-27258800-1514321228_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-74793000-1514321236_thumb.jpg

More later in the week...............................

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

Jinty ;)

• Like 18

For information on the Ammonia services look in the journal of the Welsh Railways Research Circle, maybe six or seven years back for the main article and then several follow-ups with photos in subsequent issues.  There may be an article index on the WRRC website or ask Chris Basten who is a member of this group (Mountain Goat).

The Coach looks stunning David, really well done mate.

Happy New Year to you both, and I'm looking forward to meeting up again sometime in 2018.

Thanks Andy,

Ther wheels on the bogies are being a proper pain in the Artichoke!!!! The brass doesn't want to take the Casey's Brass Black!!! I'm on my 4th application now over the last few days.

Yes Andy we will have to have a meet up again in 2018, and all the very best to you and Dee for the New Year.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1