Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Talyllyn Signal Box has got Measles!!!

I've made a start on Talyllyn Signal Box in earnest and I've used a handy little engraver to give the stonework some distinct relief at the mortar lines.

I went over with the engraver and then a suede brush to take down any edges.

I then primered with a Halfords spray primer and over coated the primer with a Halfords clear satin varnish. I then airbrushed some Railmatch Pullman cream over the wooden areas before taking a brush to the frames and sills in chocolate and then the bricks in a brick red.

Once all that was dry, I then started to pick out the stonework with a couple of different greys to add tonal differences and then I've just finished attacking the red brickwork with some yellow. Next will be some brickwork picked out in orange, to give more differences in brick colour.

I'll need to go and have a look at Steve Fay's threads next to see what order I do the next bit in. Is it mortar then darker washes or washes then mortar!!!!

Here are a couple of pictures of my spotty signal box!!!

47375 passes in the background with the 17:45 Three Cocks to Brecon Free St. ;)

attachicon.gifTally 291.jpg

attachicon.gifTally 292.jpg

And here is a close up showing (hopefully) the relief of the mortar courses between the stones.

attachicon.gifTally 293.jpg

More very soon

Jinty ;)

WOW, I really like how you've stressed the laser work to give more life to the stonework.

Must admit all those pretty colours have me mighty puzzled Jinty.  The decorative stone around the windows etc looks to be a lighter version of stone than I use for Carrog. The darker infill could be done with weathering. Interesting to see the the railway did a cheapo  brick job on the back....

attachicon.gifWEB Tallylin SB.jpg

Thanks Coachman, the things we don't see that are in plain sight for us. I maybe need to paint all the bricks in Pullman cream too then, then mucky them up!!!!

From what I can make out, the decorative brickwork around the windows was painted, as they did have yellow bricks in S. Wales, but certainly never cream ones!!!

I think some repainting is in order. I'm pretty certain that Kodak colour film of the early 1960's had a bit of a bleaching quality, but certainly not from red to cream.

Finished !!!

attachicon.gif804B9E88-2A32-4125-9937-2D5863D794C5.jpeg

Nice mix of colours on the signalbox jints should tone down nice with some dry brushing

Brian

Excellent Brian, It will go nicely on my platforms................................... WHAT? NO PLATFORMS??????

Once I get the rodding done and the platforms can be built at the correct height!!!

They never leave lol

Brian

Hotel California?????????

WOW, I really like how you've stressed the laser work to give more life to the stonework.

Thanks Phil,

I purchased an engraver off Ebay for about £8, mains powered and fully adjustable for speed and depth.

I did 3 of the sides as I've left the back for comparison, plus it is completely covered by trees anyway.

I think it took less than 30mins to do all three sides before priming.

I'll have a look through all my literature on Talyllyn and see if there are any other pictures of the box with different colours around the windows. If not I'll repaint them in cream and then weather it up as a whole by Steve's recommendations (Well adding my own washes that I use regularly!!!).

A confession: The signal box is looking quite good now, but on Sunday the whole outer shell of the box was in four pieces after it dropped about 5' to the floor of the garage, splitting into four!

About two hours work was involved in re-attaching the upper side (opposite the door end) and the complete front upper section. It's a good job really that the brickwork on the upper side is tatty in the real world!!!!

I wasn't too impressed, but it was completely my fault for not watching what I was doing!

This has now prompted me into having a bit of a move around in the garage, and bringing my spray cubicle (Home made) into a more accessible area with more lighting, instead of trying to airbrush/spray holding things with forceps or a gloved hand!!!!! This could of been something more fragile that couldn't of been put back together!!!

Regards all, and thank you for your comments

Jinty ;)

Do you want replacement parts ?

Thanks Phil, but no I'm ok, got it all back together ok.

The very end piece of the facia board mount has disappeared into the abyss that is my garage floor, but the outer trim piece will hide that

All I need are the windows that we spoke of the other day please, as and when you can

Jinty ;)

Thanks Coachman, the things we don't see that are in plain sight for us. I maybe need to paint all the bricks in Pullman cream too then, then mucky them up!!!!

From what I can make out, the decorative brickwork around the windows was painted, as they did have yellow bricks in S. Wales, but certainly never cream ones!!!

I think some repainting is in order. I'm pretty certain that Kodak colour film of the early 1960's had a bit of a bleaching quality, but certainly not from red to cream.

I would happily have a go at doing it for you including the weathering, but I would need to examine your model beforehand. My paint is cellulose and some care would be needed while spraying it on top of enamel. It would go on top of acrylics no problem though. My weathering technique uses acrylics.

I would happily have a go at doing it for you including the weathering, but I would need to examine your model beforehand. My paint is cellulose and some care would be needed while spraying it on top of enamel. It would go on top of acrylics no problem though. My weathering technique uses acrylics.

Thanks Coachman,

I'll brush the cream over the red brick I've already painted, the red and yellow underneath should give a little difference in colour and then the washes over the top should tone it all down nicely as I'm happy with the stonework greys as these will all blend in nicely.

Thanks for pointing it out before I got too far along with it.

As I said before, I don't know how many times I've looked at Talyllyn's signal box, but in my mind, bricks are red, orange and yellow (and blue), never cream, hence why I painted them so!

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can...

http://www.irse.org/minorrailways/publicdocuments/PA01%20-%20Mechanically%20Operated%20Points%20v2.pdf

Page 14, last line before the pictures “8 feet apart”

Unless you’re using “anti-friction rollers”, then they’re 9 feet apart - last line, page 15.

Don’t know if these were universal standards or a local ones, but it’s a good starting point (sorry...)

Best

Simon

I can...

http://www.irse.org/minorrailways/publicdocuments/PA01%20-%20Mechanically%20Operated%20Points%20v2.pdf

Page 14, last line before the pictures “8 feet apart”

Unless you’re using “anti-friction rollers”, then they’re 9 feet apart - last line, page 15.

Don’t know if these were universal standards or a local ones, but it’s a good starting point (sorry...)

Best

Simon

Thanks  Simon, really helpful, I can start to lay them tomorrow now.

Cheers again.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Is that generally or Southern / LSWR Spammerz old chap?

G

Unlikely, I've found very little specific details of LSWR / SR practice, so have been working from general notes. Will have to find where I got it from.

There were some very light-coloured bricks in some areas of South Wales; refractory bricks, made with crushed silica. Amongst places these were produced were Kidwelly, Pontneddfechan and at the brickworks at RT&B's Landore steelworks. Is it possible the railway brought in small quantities for things like door surrounds?

Just a quick one to show that the rodding for the turnout in the tunnel and its associated FPL has been finished into the tunnel. It's a little bit stiff at the moment, but I'm sure it will work a bit looser as it's being used!!!! ;)

Also a start has been made to the supports for the platform on this side. I've had 3mm ply laser cut to 30mm high in 2' strips. I've glued Slaters random stone strips to the face of the edging and then sprayed it with grey primer as a base before weathering.

I will continue along this side to the signal box area and then start the rodding/signal wires for the other side.

A quick snap with my phone..........

post-14906-0-12096700-1524606872_thumb.jpg

More very soon

Jinty ;)

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick one to show that the rodding for the turnout in the tunnel and its associated FPL has been finished into the tunnel. It's a little bit stiff at the moment, but I'm sure it will work a bit looser as it's being used!!!! ;)

Also a start has been made to the supports for the platform on this side. I've had 3mm ply laser cut to 30mm high in 2' strips. I've glued Slaters random stone strips to the face of the edging and then sprayed it with grey primer as a base before weathering.

I will continue along this side to the signal box area and then start the rodding/signal wires for the other side.

A quick snap with my phone..........

attachicon.gifTally 294.jpg

More very soon

Jinty ;)

Wow, that's a tight fit.

A gentle and melodious evening was spent utilising some carpentry skills, some plastikard building skills (A first for me!!!) and some painting skills.

Firstly, I've repainted the window surrounds and other brickwork with Railmatch Pullman Cream to bring it more in keeping to how Talyllyn's box looked. 

I've let the paint dry for a couple of evenings and now I've attacked the box with some Modelmates mortar paint.

I've applied about 4 times now and then wiped off when nearly dry with a tissue dampened with some acrylic thinners. It seems to have worked ok, as I have white bits in the gouged out bits between the stones and the bricks!!!!

Here are a couple of photos to show where I'm up to with it.

post-14906-0-13308800-1524689697_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-42014100-1524689706_thumb.jpg

Next up, well whilst I was awaiting things to dry (I was weathering a couple of Lionheart tanks as well as all this lot), I went a little further with the platform sub-structure. The platform edging facing the rail had Slaters Random Stone glued to it before fixing with panel pins.

At one end of the last piece I fitted this evening, there is a recess which I have made with a cut out and lined it with brick and edged it also with brick.

I then used Halfords grey primer as a base for the facing bits.

I only have about 2' to go till I'm at the signal box, so not far off done this side, which will leave Platform 1 to do.

Again here are a few pictures..............................

post-14906-0-24700600-1524690031_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-64906100-1524690041_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-95324900-1524690056_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-28601700-1524690078_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-90388500-1524690067_thumb.jpg

I'll hopefully get this platform completed at the next visit.

Then I'll mask off the platform edging and the track and then airbrush some colour on the point rodding.

Jinty ;)

• Like 10

Ok so Dafydd Ap Iowerth “mutton chops” Parry has somewhere to park his arse and read the Western Mail in between those kettles coming through Talyllyn .... Severn models etched desk & seat kit bodged together with the RSU.

post-8721-0-36776800-1524694269_thumb.jpeg

Happy modelling

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 12

Ok Ap Iowerth “mutton chops” Parry has somewhere to park his arse and read the Western Mail in between those kettles coming through Talyllyn .... Severn models, bodged together with the RSU.

attachicon.gif752DEEC6-78CC-462B-B31E-6DB008F4DC45.jpeg

Happy modelling

Craig

Those Severn models kits are very intricate, aren't they?

You've done an excellent job of them, and I'm sure Talyllyn's signalman will be very pleased with them.

Jinty ;)

A gentle and melodious evening was spent utilising some carpentry skills, some plastikard building skills (A first for me!!!) and some painting skills.

Firstly, I've repainted the window surrounds and other brickwork with Railmatch Pullman Cream to bring it more in keeping to how Talyllyn's box looked. 

I've let the paint dry for a couple of evenings and now I've attacked the box with some Modelmates mortar paint.

I've applied about 4 times now and then wiped off when nearly dry with a tissue dampened with some acrylic thinners. It seems to have worked ok, as I have white bits in the gouged out bits between the stones and the bricks!!!!

Here are a couple of photos to show where I'm up to with it.

attachicon.gifTally 295.jpg

attachicon.gifTally 296.jpg

Next up, well whilst I was awaiting things to dry (I was weathering a couple of Lionheart tanks as well as all this lot), I went a little further with the platform sub-structure. The platform edging facing the rail had Slaters Random Stone glued to it before fixing with panel pins.

At one end of the last piece I fitted this evening, there is a recess which I have made with a cut out and lined it with brick and edged it also with brick.

I then used Halfords grey primer as a base for the facing bits.

I only have about 2' to go till I'm at the signal box, so not far off done this side, which will leave Platform 1 to do.

Again here are a few pictures..............................

attachicon.gifTally 297.jpg

attachicon.gifTally 298.jpg

attachicon.gifTally 299.jpg

attachicon.gifTally 300.jpg

attachicon.gifTally 301.jpg

I'll hopefully get this platform completed at the next visit.

Then I'll mask off the platform edging and the track and then airbrush some colour on the point rodding.

Jinty ;)

Whose Pannier is that? 

Charles

• Like 1