Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

I think you will be pleased with that book, it visits plenty of off-the-beaten-track locations, and the pictures are well-chosen.

I've just discovered that DMU's got slightly closer to Talyllyn than Dowlais Top. Here's one at Dowlais Central http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/Images_D-H/DowlaisCentralStation_1960.jpg (on this page http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/dowlaiscentralstation.htm)

Evening Jinty ...I hope you remember this post ^^^^^^^ early on in this rapidly growing thread ....... this will look nice rattling though Talyllyn ...... Craig.

DowlaisCentralStation_1960.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Jinty and Muddys-blues

Very nice meeting you Jinty and enjoyed talking with you both.

Anytime you want to come down and, as Wendy says, play toy trains just give us a ring or pm, you are most welcome. It gets rather lonely up here by myself at nights.

Thanks again for coming

Peter

Thank you Peter, it was a pleasure and I hope I can call more regularly, work permitting.

Today saw the arrival of my Signal Box kit from Lasercraft of Devon. Although Lasercraft of Devon's production is now under the name of Rail Model, website: www.railmodel.co.uk No links, just a satisfied customer.

I will endeavour to show how I go on with this kit, I am doing the test build, so bear with me. First impressions look excellent. Pictures to follow.

Jinty ;)

I've unpacked the Talyllyn Signal Box kit from Lasercraft and here are the main structure pieces. Bearing in mind that this is only a test build, I'm more than happy as the general structure is taken care of.

post-14906-0-23826700-1447790644_thumb.jpg

The stonework detail is really nice and should come to life once finished and painted.

post-14906-0-79400000-1447790656_thumb.jpg

Here is a view of the real box to give an idea of the stonework and the other details.

post-14906-0-11997200-1447790710.jpg

What I have decided is to have the windows etched. I'm going to look into getting someone to draw up the windows for the etchers and then it's finding out how to go about getting etches made up. Any help or information on what is needed for this would be appreciated.

Another little job I have on the go is this Lasercraft platelayers hut. I'm just fitting all the uprights around the outside, and then it's fitting the door and window.

I'll probably put a light inside this, and one of those 7mm figures I acquired off Peter (Trains 12).

post-14906-0-53762500-1447790669_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, but if anyone can point me in the right direction of having windows, etc etched I'd be grateful.

Jinty ;)

• Like 12

The kit look`s good at first glance,and even though it`s a' test build' one thing screams out at me at this point.

That being the sizes of the corner courses of brick on the signal box.

(imho)They look about twice the length they need to be?.

Cheers,

Brian.

I've unpacked the Talyllyn Signal Box kit from Lasercraft and here are the main structure pieces. Bearing in mind that this is only a test build, I'm more than happy as the general structure is taken care of.

attachicon.gifTal 213.jpg

The stonework detail is really nice and should come to life once finished and painted.

attachicon.gifTal 214.jpg

Here is a view of the real box to give an idea of the stonework and the other details.

attachicon.gifImage 11.jpg

What I have decided is to have the windows etched. I'm going to look into getting someone to draw up the windows for the etchers and then it's finding out how to go about getting etches made up. Any help or information on what is needed for this would be appreciated.

Another little job I have on the go is this Lasercraft platelayers hut. I'm just fitting all the uprights around the outside, and then it's fitting the door and window.

I'll probably put a light inside this, and one of those 7mm figures I acquired off Peter (Trains 12).

attachicon.gifTal 215.jpg

That's all for now, but if anyone can point me in the right direction of having windows, etc etched I'd be grateful.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Those test pieces look great, I agree that there seems to be something not quite right with the cornerstones - too uniform too?

Have a look to see if Scalelink or Kirtley dont already do some etched windows - it would be cheaper if they already have and and wouldnt require reinventing the wheel.

BTW will the material that these kits are made of tolerate life in the garage? I am making moves to do some insulation in the garage and my friend who has a newer home has taken my ideas and whilst his garage was empty turned it, virtually into another room (for his layout)....wish I could have done that, mines a halfway house (or should that be room LOL!)

Pete Harvey does etching work, that said the signal boxes I've seen from laser craft have very nice laser cut Windows.

I've built a fair bit of his stuff and the windows are always nice & fine.

I agree, theyre commendably fine, unlike some resin options..

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Regarding MDF in a garage. I would do all I could to insulate the room as much as possible and keep the moisture content low. MDF does seem to attract mould in damp conditions. I've seen it on models stored in sheds & in my building work.

In my railway room I've packed the floor walls and ceiling in 50mm insulation enveloping the whole room. This time of year I have a small oil filled radiator on permanently only on 1/4 heat so you can put your hand on it comfortably but it's enough to keep the room at a constant temperature.

Then in the summer I do have an air conditioning unit to cool it down!

Hi Jinty.

I like the look of the platelayers hut and as Brian says it will look super when it is painted.

I agree with what Steve has said regarding insulation which is very important. I believe that I have written this before but my shed is fully insulated, floor walls and ceiling which has 10 inches of fibreglass in the roof) and I heat it with an electric oil filled radiator on a time clock so ti comes on and off like our central heating system and can be over ridden when required. I have it set on a very low heat which seems to keep the whole place cosy.

Great stuff. I keep my railway books in the shed so it has to be dry at all times and so far it has not disappointed me.

Rod

• 3 weeks later...

WOW, nearly a month since I've posted anything!!!!

Work and a busy family life getting in the way of modelling. I intend to rectify that in the future.

I'll go through things in stages:

The signal box, well I've contacted a company to draw up and have etched all the doors and windows for the signal box and by the looks of what I've already seen it's impressive. The main windows should be able to be modelled open or closed, and I think in conjunction with real glass as the 'meat in the sandwich', should look really good.

The Layout, not much been happening really, I've purchased some additional wooden sleepers, chairs and rail, ready for the next pair of crossovers (opposite end to the tunnel). I've got to get the base boards built so I can then build tem in situ.

I've been working on a CRT Ex LMS Horsebox, mainly getting some of the smaller sub assemblies built up. Here are a few pictures:

One of the sides with the strappings and hinges started. The window droplights and a couple of other details have been added.

post-14906-0-21561100-1450015251_thumb.jpg

Here is the chassis with the battery box and W-Irons in place. The suspension will be 3-point compensation with one rocking axle.

post-14906-0-07343400-1450015263_thumb.jpg

Here is the end where the groom's accommodation is. The steps, handrail and Emergency linkage has been added.

post-14906-0-04647900-1450015276_thumb.jpg

Lastly, I have decided to sell my Sidelines Stanier Dia 1851 Corridor Brake Third, of which the build is documented earlier on in this thread.

I'll be putting it on that Auction site, but if anyone here is interested, please feel free to PM me.

post-14906-0-17987000-1450015292_thumb.jpg

I'll hopefully get some more done soon, as I'll have some time spare over the Christmas break.

Jinty ;)

• Like 4

Regarding MDF in a garage. I would do all I could to insulate the room as much as possible and keep the moisture content low. MDF does seem to attract mould in damp conditions. I've seen it on models stored in sheds & in my building work.

In my railway room I've packed the floor walls and ceiling in 50mm insulation enveloping the whole room. This time of year I have a small oil filled radiator on permanently only on 1/4 heat so you can put your hand on it comfortably but it's enough to keep the room at a constant temperature.

Then in the summer I do have an air conditioning unit to cool it down!

Hi Steve,

The new 25 yr plus waterproof MDF is very good, I had doubts, but I have heard others sing its praises, but its expensive.

BTW how much energy does the oil filled rad use, is that cheaper to run than other forms of electric thermostatically controlled heating system?

I wish that I had added more insulation in the garage, my mate has heeded my advice and he virtually has a room in his garage now.

Sorry for the hijack Jinty.

ATVB

CME

Hi CME

The little oil filled radiator doesn't use much power, let's just say my wife has no idea it's on permanently over the winter period!!!

I've heard good things about waterproof MDF but I'm not sure if the differing laser cutters are or have the option to use it.

Personally I don't think you can beat insulating the whole room after all if your keeping your prize possessions in there then keeping damp out must be a priority.

The proceeds from Canton went straight into finishing my railway room and I could have had more fun things but I'm happy to know I can walk in there and it's a nice balanced temperature.

Jinty, why sell the coach ?? You've done a great job & ex midland coaches were prevalent in this area.post-5983-0-56042900-1450098512_thumb.jpeg

Here's my railway room, I do intend on adding an additional extension where the upturned trampoline is next summer taking the already in place small addition Right up to the boundary wall.

Sorry for the hijack !!

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 6

Thanks guys,

No apologies needed for anything. It's all informative!!!

When I started this project, I just went out and spent £100's (more like £1,000's) on stock, some of which is the type lesser seen on the B & M. The Midland did use some period III stock on the B & M but the majority of the stock was WR.

I have some Collett corridor stock from the JLTRT stable, and with the proceeds from the coach it will go some way to paying for a pair of B Set coaches from Lionheart.

I'm still left with 3 Sidelines kits, of which there is another D1851 (I bought 2!!!) to be built.

I need to really start to make headway with the numerous kits I have to build. I had a count up and I have 17 Parkside kits alone, not to mention the odd Slaters, a few WEP and a couple of Jim McGowans!!!!!! And that's just the wagons!!! The Coach, as mentioned will go towards a couple of nice coaches that were more numerous on the line.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 4

That does make sense then.

It's a cracking job and anyone would be lucky to have it.

I've also signed up to the lionheart set other wise I'd be very tempted as I'm looking at building my coaching stock up for R,B

Edited by steve fay

That is one very nice coach having seen it in the flesh. Personally I would keep it seeing as ex LMS stock was not unknown on those lines in your modelling area. I am putting together a small collection of corridor 'Staniers' in between bread 'n butter work for this reason. 

• Like 2