Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

I am just painting on some yellow now as I type, I am doing the front of the round tube thing & the back end of the square trailer box thing that it tugs along, then I will put some air horns on top of the roof.

I might go large logo blue on it, what do you think ? :picknose:

Craig.

I think you need certifying.............

In an earlier post I said you would have something running before Christmas lol! Looks as though I was way out and so I'm bringing the date forward to October!

Lovely work and what speed and quality.

Rod

Thank you Rod, I think you may be right ;)

Hi Dave

Back home from sunny Scotland. Work you have done in the last 10 days is A+ Looking forward to seeing the running of it .

Peter

Hi Peter,

Hope you had a nice relaxing time. I'll arrange with Craig to come over and relieve you of some of those bits and bobs.

I'll be in touch.

Jinty ;)

I must be becoming a bit of a video tart!!!!

Here is another video, again showing the crossing from the wing rails to the vee. A gap of 20mm, with no wheel drop at all.

This time there is a little more track as I've laid 2 60' panels (scale) for the diverging routes. So I thought I'd use a conflat, with no weight, coupled up to a van that I will push across the crossing to show that a very light and sensitive wagon such as the conflate, will traverse the crossing smoothly, with no bounce.

I'm hoping to get a few more track panels in place over the next few days and then I will wire it up and test it with a running loco.

Jinty ;)

• Like 5

Hi CME,

Expertise????? I don't think so, this is my first ever foray into the senior scale, but it's a path that I'm liking very much  :imsohappy:

In answer to your question, well I actually can't help with which is the best, because I have a different viewpoint to yours, not that yours is wrong, just that it's a matter of choice.

I have no preference for cork from an insulation point of view, I use the cork for elevation only. As far as noise is concerned, It's something I'd prefer to have, I'm building with 60' track panels and thus should be able to appreciate the clickety-clack as well as the sound decoders doing their work. The railways were a dirty, noisy and smelly place, I can't do much about the smell, but I can enjoy the other two elements in model form.

I also don't mind the rumbling over the baseboards either, trains did rumble along, a heavy freight through a station made a din, and the sound of metal wheels on metal track through wooden sleepers, should echo to a certain extent similar to the real thing.

Although I will concede that in some cases it can be a little overpowering, especially if the baseboard framework creates a large hollow, drum like structure, that amplifies the sound, but this can be avoided.

Insulation is a choice some modellers make, but for me, I don't mind the noise one bit.

Yes, I should be able to offer at least a dozen foot of running very soon, unfortunately C&L have taken to using Hermes, and their delivery driver can't follow simple instructions!!!! :jester:

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

I empathise - Hermes used to be good, very good, yet there has been cut-backs so I am led to believe!

I would say that your modelling skills have transposed to 7mm very well indeed!

Thanks for the comprehensive reply- I too like to hear the wheel-beats and I may even file some notches, if I am brave, on the track in the garden so as to get that very effect. I probably wont be using DCC sound just yet - personal preference re the 'finescaling' of certain sounds on certain decoders - yet some are excellent and so I am tempted as sound makes train/loco operation more realistic, as long as that sound doesnt jar. I agree that railways were dirty, noisy places, after a visit to Bournmouth and Salisbury stations, as an 8-10 year old, I soon started to weather my track and stock. My gripe is with the drumming/amplification of certain types of noise through the baseboards themselves - by luck rather than design, sometimes, only sometimes, this effect can be pleasing and realistic (yet I am unsure as to how this type of happy accident occurs - a myriad of unknown reasons I suspect).

BTW you can now add smell - with scented smoke units for diesels and kettles! LOL!

Thanks for the reply.

ATVB

CME

Hi Jinty,

I empathise - Hermes used to be good, very good, yet there has been cut-backs so I am led to believe!

I would say that your modelling skills have transposed to 7mm very well indeed!

Thanks for the comprehensive reply- I too like to hear the wheel-beats and I may even file some notches, if I am brave, on the track in the garden so as to get that very effect. I probably wont be using DCC sound just yet - personal preference re the 'finescaling' of certain sounds on certain decoders - yet some are excellent and so I am tempted as sound makes train/loco operation more realistic, as long as that sound doesnt jar. I agree that railways were dirty, noisy places, after a visit to Bournmouth and Salisbury stations, as an 8-10 year old, I soon started to weather my track and stock. My gripe is with the drumming/amplification of certain types of noise through the baseboards themselves - by luck rather than design, sometimes, only sometimes, this effect can be pleasing and realistic (yet I am unsure as to how this type of happy accident occurs - a myriad of unknown reasons I suspect).

BTW you can now add smell - with scented smoke units for diesels and kettles! LOL!

Thanks for the reply.

ATVB

CME

What I have found on my various 4mm scale layout is that I use two layers of 3mm thk cork . The frist is a general layer that is a good 50mm plus wider than the track bed onto which a glue a track bed width with the chamfers cut onto this bottom layer. This I have found dose away with any sound distortion. I also use 9mm birch ply construction on the base boards.

Cheers

Peter

Well you can't have it all your own way can you? On the platform 2 line, the curve has had to be sharpened a little to be able to draw it round to meet the junction complex and align up properly.

Because the curve has been sharpened, I've ended up with a situation of quite a bit of overhang on the curve with a 57' coach.

I won't have the same problem with the inside curve as the radius starts earlier.

Here is the curve laid this evening

post-14906-0-06564700-1442523715_thumb.jpg

Here is the overhang from my coach

post-14906-0-35972100-1442523726_thumb.jpg

And from above

post-14906-0-14589400-1442523739_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping that once the platform, etc is in place it may not be so noticeable.

Otherwise I'm quite pleased as to how the track laying is going, I'm finding it enjoyable. All the pieces that have been laid are in 60' track panels, where the end sleepers close up prototypically. I use a Templot print off to position the sleepers at the correct distance to each other.

Once I've got the two platform tracks in place and joined to the junction section, I will carry on with the A38 Autocoach.

Then I can deliver it and call and see Peter whilst I'm down that end.

Jinty ;)

Jinty ;)

• Like 6

Hi Jinty,

My platforms are also set on a curve and I am also hoping to narrow the gap when I fit the platform edgings.

By the way what are you laying the track panels with PVA or Copydex.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

Hell of a clunk on the Peco turnouts!!!!

I'm using double sided tape, and I'll use PVA for the ballast to hold it all together. I want to get the rodding in place before the ballasting and platform edges.

The sharpness is only for about 3" as the rest is transitional. So maybe a thoughtfully parked coach will look better.

Jinty ;)

I recently acquired this interesting piece of Cambrian ephemera issued by Talyllyn station. Details are as follows:

Cambrian Railways Memo reference  PO4372, Apr 29, 1914.

From the traffic department at Talyllyn Station to Minfford

Cam 77 loaded you to Neath

Above stopped here 7.30pm 27/4/14 with two defective headstocks & broken solebars.

Contents transhipped into Cam 1102 & sent forward 11.0 pm 28/4/14.

post-13142-0-46603200-1442600292_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I recently acquired this interesting piece of Cambrian ephemera issued by Talyllyn station. Details are as follows:

Cambrian Railways Memo reference  PO4372, Apr 29, 1914.

From the traffic department at Talyllyn Station to Minfford

Cam 77 loaded you to Neath

Above stopped here 7.30pm 27/4/14 with two defective headstocks & broken solebars.

Contents transhipped into Cam 1102 & sent forward 11.0 pm 28/4/14.

Now that's a rather marvellous piece of memorabilia. Fantastic story too it as well. Obviously Cam 77 was a wooden framed wagon.

The original authors of this document could hardly of comprehended it's significance and generated interest, 101 years into the future.

Thanks for posting it here Chris.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

What I have found on my various 4mm scale layout is that I use two layers of 3mm thk cork . The frist is a general layer that is a good 50mm plus wider than the track bed onto which a glue a track bed width with the chamfers cut onto this bottom layer. This I have found dose away with any sound distortion. I also use 9mm birch ply construction on the base boards.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter, that is helpful to know. We have used 18mm Birch ply - Heljans are heavy!

Well you can't have it all your own way can you? On the platform 2 line, the curve has had to be sharpened a little to be able to draw it round to meet the junction complex and align up properly.

Because the curve has been sharpened, I've ended up with a situation of quite a bit of overhang on the curve with a 57' coach.

I won't have the same problem with the inside curve as the radius starts earlier.

Here is the curve laid this evening

attachicon.gifTal 195.jpg

Here is the overhang from my coach

attachicon.gifTal 196.jpg

And from above

attachicon.gifTal 197.jpg

I'm hoping that once the platform, etc is in place it may not be so noticeable.

Otherwise I'm quite pleased as to how the track laying is going, I'm finding it enjoyable. All the pieces that have been laid are in 60' track panels, where the end sleepers close up prototypically. I use a Templot print off to position the sleepers at the correct distance to each other.

Once I've got the two platform tracks in place and joined to the junction section, I will carry on with the A38 Autocoach.

Then I can deliver it and call and see Peter whilst I'm down that end.

Jinty ;)

Jinty ;)

All of our models are a compromise - which is frustrating at times - I hope it works out okay for you. BTW which side will you view it from most of the time?

Hopefully this link will work, fingers crossed.

Martyn .

PS. Better with the sound up a bit.

Hi 3 Link,

I shall modify all of my Peco points in this regard and for the indoor points I shall 'super-detail' them too.

As most coarse scale modellers are pointed in the direction of Peco SM32 track et al. I am not sure why Peco continue in making their 'V's' so generous?!

Kindest to all,

CME

• Like 1

Well today I've had some time on the rest of the line against platform 2, and I've joined it up to the junction complex.

So I thought that as I'd fitted droppers to all the separate pieces, I would couple it up to the Lenz and give something a test.

To hand was the little Heljan AC railbus and I popped a 21 pin ESU into it and away we went.

A little bumpy, as I think the fishplates need a swipe with the file, but I also found that the B2B was a touch on the wide side too. But all in all I'm quite pleased. I was very cautious with the tunnel end, as I didn't fancy the railbus disappearing into the abyss with a 3'6" drop to the floor!!!! And the junction is filthy, so needs a good clean up and the Hex Frog Juicer fitted so that it can work. I drove the railbus onto it and it stalled, hence the pause in the middle of the film!!!!

Next up is the other line through the station, the track sitting there is Peco, but it's just to gauge what it's going to look like, and to work out the actual flow of the curve.

Jinty

• Like 7

Great to see something running jinty,it shows the size of your layout well ,I did like the sound of the railbus as it rumbles past add sound to that and it'll sound great

Are you using the frog juicer for all the junction pointwork or just for say the single slip

Brian

Great to see something running jinty,it shows the size of your layout well ,I did like the sound of the railbus as it rumbles past add sound to that and it'll sound great

Are you using the frog juicer for all the junction pointwork or just for say the single slip

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks, the clunking doesn't happen with either the coach, or all te wagons sitting on the other track, but it does with the railbus. in a comparison measurement between a couple of sets of Slaters wheels and the railbus wheels, the railbus wheels were about 1mm wider, so I think it may need adjusting.

The Hex Frog Juicer is for the complete junction complex, although it will be powered by Cobalts, I can't be bothered working out the frog switching for the three way, so went for that. All the other points on the layout will be switched by the Cobalts.

I do feel like I'm getting somewhere now. Back onto the A38 next week, and then my 8750 Pannier to build!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

And now for something really silly...............

Who could of ever imagined one of these at Talyllyn????

I just had to try it, disconnected the Lenz and connected my little Gaugemaster Combi I use for testing.

Again the Heljan loco clunked over the joints and fishplates but the coach doesn't!

My main reason for putting this loco on was to see what the coach and loco looked like rounding the curve from above, and after it all, I'm happy to live with it, as it doesn't seem too bad at all.

This Deltic is having an ESU Loksound XL V4 with a Cliff Williams speaker and enclosure. I'll put up another video once I've done it.

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

Ha you weren't kidding ,that's something a little different lol,I agree the look of the loco and coach look fine going round the platform curve

I'll look forward to the deltic with sound

Brian

Not a lot done this last week as the new job is quite tiring, more me getting old, but it's very enjoyable.

I've been on with a couple of bits and bobs, the A38 Autocoach firstly.

The guttering, roof vents, door hinges, droplights and the fittings for the non driving end started. I've also made up some substantial bolsters for the bogies and soldered them into place on the underframe, and it's now at the correct height.

post-14906-0-74053400-1443375202_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-49701800-1443375216_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-78749100-1443375229_thumb.jpg

More to do to the non-driving end, and the handrails down the side, then it'll be just about ready for its owner.

One of the other things I've been doing is my ballast/scenic test plank. I've ballasted it with Woodlands Scenics Medium Grey and Grey Mix 50/50. I've then got a scoop of this mixture into a tub, and added a full scoop of Medium Brown, as the ballast in the Talyllyn area had a brown/grey tinge to it.

After ballasting, I've made up some track colour for the rail sides and airbrushed this on allowing a dust to fall onto the chair and sleeper in this area.

The picture is not the best, in failing light, but I'm quite satisfied with it. I've yet to give some subtle rusting, here and there, but I am overall, quite pleased.

Next is some ground cover and some greenery.

post-14906-0-40542500-1443375244_thumb.jpg

I'll try and take a better picture in decent sunlight during this week.

The other thing is my 8750 has arrived from JLTRT, as has the Premier rods, the Cannon & ABC Mini, the Premier plungers, and all I've got to order now is a set of wheels for it.

I have 3 JLTRT 57xx loco kits now (2 x 57xx & 1 x 8750), but I want to build the 8750 first as the Collett cabbed Panniers were rarer at Talyllyn in the latter years.

I intend to start the 8750 as soon as the A38 is finished, then we can have some proper South Wales motive power on show!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

The appearance of your ballast and track is impressively real. It shows how much more can be done with application. I am impressed with your future build program. I have been Googling 7mm loco kits and RTR just to see what is available for the GW..

Edited by coachmann

Coachmann,

The GWR is well served in 7mm, though with the current lack of Blacksmith & Martin Finney, a few prize kits are not presently available.

On the RTR front, Lionheart seems to have covered the branch line needs, with the Panniers, small Prairies & now the Moguls, some wagons, Autocoaches, and now a B set. Heljan have announced a large Prairie, probably 2017, Ixion/Minerva have the little Fowler diesel, and soon-to-be-released Peckett, both available in GW livery. Tower had a King, and possibly a Castle, and a 1366 Saddle Tank. Lionel make a rather coarse Hall (in Harry Potter livery).

JLTRT, Slaters, Scorpio/Seven, Springside and Warren Shepherd all produce kits for locos, and some also do particular wagons and coaches, as does Ian Kirk. Slaters do wheels, Premier do milled loco chassis, coupling & connecting rods & couplings. Peco, Parkside Dundas, POWsides & Slaters make plastic wagon kits.

C&L & JLTRT do track components.

There are various building & structure suppliers, including Timber Tracks, Intentio & Invertrain.

Signal kits & bits from Scale Signal Supply & MSE

I'm sure I've missed lots, but I have personal experience of most these and happily recommend them. I hope it's a useful starting list, and that anyone I've missed will forgive me !

Best

Simon

• Like 1