RMweb

Phoenix paint thinning

Just before the Royal Mail ban came in for exporting Phoenix Enamel Paints overseas I bought some. Phoenix recommended Lighter Fluid for thinning but it's hard to obtain in my local area. Lighter fuel in pressure cans is available but not in tins.

Railmatch say that Humbrol thinners is okay to use with there brand of paint so any ideas on a thinner for Phoenix Enamel Paints?

Just before the Royal Mail ban came in for exporting Phoenix Enamel Paints overseas I bought some. Phoenix recommended Lighter Fluid for thinning but it's hard to obtain in my local area. Lighter fuel in pressure cans is available but not in tins.

Railmatch say that Humbrol thinners is okay to use with there brand of paint so any ideas on a thinner for Phoenix Enamel Paints?

Lighter fuel in cans is not suitable as it's a propane gas, try sourcing a tin of fuel for the likes of  "Zippo" etc petrol lighters. In the UK it's marketed as Ronsonol.   I've used this successfully with Precision Enamels in the past, but be very careful to use it where there is no source of ignition as the spray/vapour is highly inflammable.  Best results tend to be had from using paint with thinners from the same manufacturer. White spirit could also be used, if nothing else is available, but there's a much higher risk of runs if too heavy a spray coat is applied, as white spirit takes much longer to "flash off" than thinners. It's also best to try mixing a very small quantity of the paint and thinner you plan to use and check there's no bad reaction, before you use it on a model etc. 

HTH

Ken

I'd go with David above, that White Spirit is fine. Any thinner can give rise to runs or inadequate coverage if you use too much, ditto too little will result in the airbrush clogging rapidly. I've regularly mixed thinners and paints from different manufacturers without ill effects, provided that the mix is very well stirred and of the right consistency. Some manufacturers, including Phoenix IIRC, market a "Quick Drying" thinner for airbrushes, which I have used as well without problem. I'm a great believer in allowing any sprayed finish to thoroughly dry and harden before masking or overspraying, waiting several days between colours, and so tend to be less bothered than some by the speed of drying.

John.

• RMweb Gold

I also regularly use white spirits for thinning enamels including Phoenix. I've tried other thinners such as cellulose which also works fine. 

• RMweb Premium

Sorry if its a daft question. I've recently got an airbrush (not used yet), from the above I now know what to thin the enamel paint with, but what should I use to clean the airbrush afterwards?

• RMweb Gold

Sorry if its a daft question. I've recently got an airbrush (not used yet), from the above I now know what to thin the enamel paint with, but what should I use to clean the airbrush afterwards?

Plain white spirit is perfectly adequate. Just don't let the paint dry in the airbrush.

Archived