Stow Rail 17 May 2015 10.30 - 4.30

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

Another fine show in prospect at St Edward’s Hall, Stow on the Wold.

Click on the link to go to the home page and download the programme

http://www.stowrail.org.uk/wordpress/

I'll be there demoing the construction of some WW1 rolling stock in 16mm to go with my Tin Turtle but I'm happy to talk about anything!

The cakes are excellent by the way....

Chris

• RMweb Gold

List of exhibitors for 2015 at Stow Rail:
‘Dinas’ – Welsh Narrow Gauge by Peter Booth.
‘Santa Barbara’ – West Coast USA by Ian Rankin.
‘Gamle Carlsberg’ – Danish Brewery by Tony Bennett.
‘Hobbiton’ – The Shire by Simon of Mordor.
‘Stoddon Hundred Light Railway’ – UK light railway by Andrew Jones.
‘St. Pierre’ – French steam tramway by Christopher Payne.
‘Gottingen Sud’ – German mixed gauges by Piers Milne.

• RMweb Gold

I'm just going to bump this topic and hope to see a few RMwebbers there. I re-watched the short videos linked to the main home page and it was interesting to see just how much chat they show between exhibitors and visitors - something a few threads on here have highlighted a s a positive aspect of any show.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I got in early, how early?  Well....

post-7686-0-99258900-1431866097_thumb.jpg

I can't imagine they lasted long....

An excellent show with some very good layouts.  Nice to have a chat to a few people too.  I particularly enjoyed Chris Payne's St Pierre et la Rue Perrin (French NG in 1:34 scale).

• RMweb Gold

Great little show with some riveting modelling!

Unfortunately we didn't have time to stop and sample the cakes but they looked smashing...

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Lovely little show and some excellent layouts however our day was somewhat ruined when Mrs Stationmaster had part of a cup of tea spilt over her trousers and we had to leave and try to find a new pair for her somewhere as she was both well soaked and cold - hence my only purchase in connection with this show was a pair of ladies trousers.

But having got her re-trousered I did at least manage to sneak back for a further look, and very nice too.

Apart from the heavy traffic enroute it made a  nice day out (and a good chance to road test the new clutch on the car) so I might do it again next year although at present Mrs Stationmaster is not at all keen on the idea (and if shoe does come she'll no doubt bring a spare pair of trousers!). 

• RMweb Gold

Ouch - hope no permanent harm to Mrs SM Mike!

We must have pitched up whilst you were off on a Trouser hunt - 12 till 12.45

Phil

Fortunately the tea was not really hot so no scalding, in fact she finished up rather cold as both trouser legs were soaking wet and not much better after some dabbed drying with paper towels.  In fact it looks like you left just before we got there Phil as I parked in the car park at the bottom of the hill at 12.15 and then we walked up fairly slowly looking in various shop windows etc as we went - we must have missed you by no more than a few minutes.

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes Stow is a good place for shop browsing! We had a 1.30 lunch date in Oxford hence the flying visit but more than enough to see what a friendly show it was.

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

That was a really lovely 'layout'  (more like a sort of diorama with trains - and I don't mean that rudely - as it was really good).  The bloke operating while I was watching apologised for things taking a bit of time but I replied that didn't worry me in the least as it gave more time to see everything, and it did!

• RMweb Gold

Everything at Stow takes time - most people are just chatting (to the paying customers) and playing trains (and eating cake).

I think there will be a full video done by some contacts of the organiser - I'll post something here when it goes up on the website

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Everything at Stow takes time - most people are just chatting (to the paying customers) and playing trains (and eating cake).

Yes eating cake really is the big thing here :sungum:

We thoroughly enjoyed the show (for the second time). very well organised and with sausages in rolls brought to us in the morning as we were setting up then our lunches brought to us, let alone all the cake we could eat, some of us not being able to eat as much as some others.

Despite it being a small venue (but a very ornate one) there was plenty for the visitors to see with 8 layouts. Sadly I didnt get much time myself to look around the other layouts.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

As well as being a very pleasant way to spend a Sunday the show made just under £1000 for Action Medical Research which is a massive improvement on the first effort at some £200 6 years ago.

Chris

That was a really lovely 'layout'  (more like a sort of diorama with trains - and I don't mean that rudely - as it was really good).  The bloke operating while I was watching apologised for things taking a bit of time but I replied that didn't worry me in the least as it gave more time to see everything, and it did!

Mike

[1]      I am pleased you enjoyed seeing "St PIERRE et la RUE PERRIN". Without in the least objecting to your reference to a "diorama" or taking issue with what you say, I simply regard this layout (as also my others) in theatrical terms.

(I)       I get an idea for a story I want to tell through the medium of a drama such as might be presented on a stage.

(II)      With this story (this "script") in mind I cast the various rôles, design the costumes, devise stage business and choreography, and build the set.

(III)     At an exhibition (with the help of friends who are kind enough to act as operating assistants) I put on a performance. If thus far the analogy has been with the theatre, perhaps at this point it is best changed to puppetry. The layout operator is the "puppet meister" who instead of pulling strings manipulates his marionettes by means of a controller, section switches, and so on.

[2]       "St PIERRE et la RUE PERRIN" is not a new layout. The first module made its public début in completed form in January 1997. The second module similarly appeared before an unsuspecting public in January 1999.

[3]      The building of loco No 12 was described in Continental Modeller Oct 1995, and the whole project the subject of a series of articles in the same magazine - Jan, Jul, Oct 1997, Jan, Apr 1998, Mar, Jun, Oct 1999, Sep, Dec 2000, Mar, Oct 2001, Jun, Sep, Dec 2002. There have also been pieces published in Dutch (Rail Magazine [No 167] Sep 1999) and French (Voie Libre [No 9] Oct 1999).

[4]       The layout is booked to appear in the French section at ExpoNG on Saturday 31 October 2015.

CP

Archived