Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Top Gear

andyram

I actually enjoyed the final show. The second film had some amusing moments in particular. The links were never going to be the same with JC and the audience missing. A shame we did not get to see the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car film that had been recorded, but I suppose the follow up interview with Gary Lineker was not possible.

I'm not sure how else you could interpret "..by making it just a little bit rubbish" but I'm sure Andy can clarify that if necessary.

The atmosphere may have partly reflected the mood of the two remaining presenters but giving them a chance to say goodbye to the show's very loyal audience was probably a good decision. Given the events surrounding it I'm not sure how an upbeat last programme could have been constructed.

I've worked on series that were killed off prematurely with the production team very unhappy about that and we just tried to make the last programme the best ever. I think that would have been the instinct of this team but there was a limit to what they could do to achieve that. I honestly doubt whether they were setting out to convey any other message.

I am largely agreeing with all you say, I am NOT saying that they made a 'rubbish' programme in the technical sense but that as a show, the format adopted would not have generated a regular audience. Had that been the first ever Top Gear the consensus the next day would have been, 'Did you see that car programme?, it was rubbish'.

We can agree, or not, on what message, if any, was intended to be conveyed.

The English language is such that we use all sorts of phrasing and words to convey a feeling or meaning and that is the context in which I read Andys use of the word rubbish, not as a 'technical' criticism.

Edit; I did enjoy the programme, the films were their usual standard, it was the format of the links which were intentionally downbeat, 'rubbish' if you will.

• RMweb Premium

I think they're flogging the dead horse because they're acutely aware that whatever they may think of JC et al it was one of their most lucrative shows. There must be a few nervous BBC people desperately hoping that Chris Evans can pull off following the old crew.

I think they're flogging the dead horse because they're acutely aware that whatever they may think of JC et al it was one of their most lucrative shows. There must be a few nervous BBC people desperately hoping that Chris Evans can pull off following the old crew.

When JC and Co took the show over (from Wilson and Needell was it) it was a failing show, so much so that the Beeb were glad to sell the rights to Clarkson, those three turned the show into the success it has been.

Wilson and Needell proved that you need more than a genuine interest in cars, and the ability to drive fast to be good presenters, so much so that Needell now has to earn money by driving people around Thruxton race circuit.

Interestingly when Clarkson left the last time, viewing figures dropped from over six million to under three.

There must be a few nervous BBC people desperately hoping that Chris Evans can pull off following the old crew.

Now that's something I would not want to see.  

And if they do show it, I will throw Mick Hucknall through my telly and send Carol Kirkwood the bill.

I found the "book of the series" from his programme, a while ago. Interesting pop science but the extended chains of cause and effect were simplistic, to be charitable.

That's often the problem with examples though, I think. And it's possible the book isn't as good as the series, which is why the fact it's not on Region 2 DVD is so annoying.

In fact, why not repeat all of Connections in the Top Gear slot... :mail:

• RMweb Premium

In today's Daily Mirror its reported that part of their contracts is that the trio are forbidden from appearing in a clone or similar program in the UK for at least two years after the end of their contracts with the BBC.

Not forgetting that if the clause relates to "made in the UK" then they'll just make it in the Isle of Man, Ireland or similar. There will be a way around it, that way the rest of us can enjoy the show whilst the new BBC Top Gear slides into the television abyss........again.

I reckon there's fortune to be made here, clearly JC and ITV's  lawyers, are missing something, perhaps giving them a call and sharing your expertise could earn you guys some money :) - I look forward to seeing the new series on ITV soon.

• RMweb Gold

2yrs non compete clause? sounds unenforceable to me, and they can certainly afford to challenge it.

It may be cause Jeremy sold a significant stake of Top Gear back to the BBC, making it a commercial IP matter, rather than the "employment" situation...one for the lawyers anyway - if the trio want to fight it...

I reckon that they are astute enough to know that the format was exhausted, and that a clone show wouldn't work.

Ed

They'd also be competing against the endless re-runs on Dave and the BBC

I reckon that they are astute enough to know that the format was exhausted, and that a clone show wouldn't work.

Ed

I tend to agree. The Quentin Wilson and Jodie Kid motor show illustrates how stale the Top Gear format had become - what was left? - bigger insults and even dafter ventures?

Ed

Alternatively the reruns may act as free publicity for any new show for the trio.

I don't expect it's a very happy time. Evans "revitalised" Wogan's radio show by turning it into something entirely different, abandoning the old audience entirely, indeed driving them away; discarding the old production team and generally turning it into a rerun of something which already existed. There has been a fair amount of controversy about attracting an existing audience to a new time slot, who were already catered for after all, versus maintaining a wider audience - "unique ratings" versus "programme ratings".

Whether the shrieking carrot-top can maintain his audience in the REAL market which has sustained Top Gear in the Clarkson era, which is to say international sales, remains to be seen. It's clear that Auntie don't have an established, credible successor to Attenborough and I don't believe this is at all difficult to understand. Attenborough was a very successful BBC programme maker and senior manager before he ever set out on the nature programmes which he is synonymous with. His supposed successors clearly don't have the same vision or presence.

Time Team ultimately died of editorial interference, network faction fighting, budget penny-pinching and a steady drift towards "pop archaeology". The "Walking With..." series descended progressively into self-parody (who saw the embarrassingly bad last entry, with rubber forehead "cavemen" who appeared to have escaped from some 1960s science fiction series?).

Evans' version of Top Gear will stand or fall by his "it's all about me!!!" style, hysterical pacing and whether he can get the cars in. Frankly, I doubt it and if it dies succeed, it won't be Top Gear in anything but name

I've no idea how many languages and networks I've seen Top Gear translated into, but I've never seen Chris Evans outside the UK. Says it all really, BBC don't have the talent. They are so obsessed with appointing people for reasons of nepotism and political correctness, and ramping up salaries to retain people with greatly inflated views of their worth outside the BBC, who aren't going anywhere and would be no great loss if they did, that they have very little real talent at any level.

Attenborough should have been tasked, at least fifteen years ago, with long-term succession planning and the same goes for Clarkson. No one continues for ever, no format remains fresh indefinitely.

Still, at least BBC home channels are (somewhat) less excruciatingly PC than the BBC World channel - expats avoid it as unwatchable, it seems entirely devoted to and staffed by, smug Asian women earning six figure sums in West London

Attenborough has long been a much admired figure in my eyes.

I'm willing to watch 'most anything with his involvement.

Interesting to see him with Obama too.

However, none of us live forever and I can't see a successor.

Time Team (with which I had a tenuous connection) should have run forever - even with valid suitable replacement of personnel as they fell by the wayside.

It would take a long time to dig up the whole of the UK before carrying on abroad.

As for Top Gear, the shutters are probably going to come down on the format and it can't be the same without the gang of three lads.

• RMweb Gold

However, none of us live forever and I can't see a successor.

Perhaps programmes like Top Gear could be presented by the Tellytubbies. Then if one does something naughty it is easier to replace them.

Archived