The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Top Gear

andyram

• RMweb Premium

All the commentss about CE remind me of the uproar when Catherine Tate was announced as the Doctors companion with many predicting the demise of Dr Who. TG could afterall have had Noel Edmonds back!

But she was good, only a couple of her characters were annoying

In a slightly related issue.

Do you recall JC getting into trouble for allegedly using the racist word n####r?

So how can Kanye West get away with using the same word repeatedly during BBC's live Glastonbury coverage?

In a slightly related issue.

Do you recall JC getting into trouble for allegedly using the racist word n####r?

So how can Kanye West get away with using the same word repeatedly during BBC's live Glastonbury coverage?

Because Kanye West is a black man. Same reason President Obama could use it. Context is very important.

Absolutely agree Andy, or are we going to have tiers of society in which what I can say is determined by who I am? Just where does that stop?

It's either acceptable or it's not, otherwise who is to judge the context?

Jeremy, Richard & James will be back in the Autumn on Netflix with a new programme and £10m budget! It will be worth watching!

Has a Netflix deal been confirmed yet? I know they've been considered the front runner and it seems the most obvious platform for them, but I thought they were waiting for Sundays episode to air before they announced anything?

It really, really, isn't. This isn't the place to discuss that sort of topic, though.

It was an innocent observation on my part! Returning to the topic. If any such Netflix deal is true I may have to subscribe.

Let me nail my colours to the mast here: Kanye West is an idiot ( just felt that that needed saying) and so is Clarkson for doing what he did. Not having a renewed contract is a thoroughly light sentence for his crime in my opinion.

But the racist word thing was ridiculous. He mumbled something which MIGHT have been the word in a take which wasn't used on TV and for which there is email evidence of him begging the producer to not even consider using. What more exactly was he supposed to do exactly?

I will certainly watch the Netflix show (which I don't believe is currently confirmed, but is all set bar the official announcement I believe) because I happen to think he is both funny and clever, with a healthy irreverant streak within all three presenters.

P.S. Saying that a Black man is allowed to do something and white man isn't because of crimes that the white mans ancestors may or may not have been a part of doesn't exactly strike me as the most reasoned argument in the world.

Just before I resigned from the engineering dept. of a certain food factory, a Pakistani man was recruited into it.

A manger asked him who he was, his reply:

"I'm the grease-monkey".

• RMweb Premium

Jeremy, Richard & James will be back in the Autumn on Netflix with a new programme and £10m budget! It will be worth watching!

Am I the only one who has doubts about the success of this venture. When you consider independent televisions attempt to produce a clone of 'The One Show', even going as far as poaching the programs stars. Within a matter of months the program had 'bombed' and the 'stars' are no longer heard of.

It depends how you measure success, if it carries on as before that's probably enough for it's fans. ITV probably didn't poach the whole production team!  I'm sure it will make money worldwide for them, even if UK audiences are less.

Parkinson moved o.k. from BBC to ITV, Morecambe and Wise less so, and This Is Your Life went back and forth without too much problem.

My concern is that it was probably a show that was running out of ideas anyway, sometimes even your favourite dog or cat, (or dinosaur) has to be put down. I think JC will probably self-destruct anyway soon, he's looking more and more raddled lately.

I'm certainly not going to be paying £6 or £7 a month to watch it in the future, and I'm sure the world will keep on turning, but good luck to whoever takes it on, let's hope nobody punches their lights out.

Interesting article here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/11704087/Top-Gear-Jeremy-Clarkson-replaced-by-an-elephant.html

• RMweb Premium

If JC and the others start a new series on Netflix then I'll probably end up subscribing. TG was one of the few TV shows I made an effort to watch. I agree there is a risk of it becoming more formulaic and in truth I found the last couple of series were feeling a bit "haven't we been here before?" with the exception of the foreign specials which I find more interesting and which displayed more affection for the countries visited than most serious travel shows. That said, it still gave me more pleasure than most other things on TV. I'll give Chris Evans a chance and am trying to keep an open mind on new TG.

All the comments about CE remind me of the uproar when Catherine Tate was announced as the Doctors companion with many predicting the demise of Dr Who...

But she was good, only a couple of her characters were annoying

Catherine Tate has genuine acting ability, some of her comic characters are a bit over the top for me but she can certainly act.

Good grief - that's brought back some awful memories. I've enjoyed the new Doctor Who, but can't agree that Catherine Tate brought anything but gurning and over-acting to her role. The day her character left was a blessed relief. While I understand why a lot of people feel the same about Chris Evans, I'm prepared to watch his version of TG with an open mind, as I think he will be more palatable on a car show than elsewhere

• RMweb Premium

The last 2 films were better than some that they have done recently, but it was obvious that Richard and James didn't feel right doing the links without Jeremy.

Archived