Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

20190629_132816.jpg.cd258a699043b6420bad90fb95a31a71.jpgHad a bit of spare time after i went to work early this morning so i sorted the plates on 37 905. I varnished it last night so its finally finished, pending a sound unit potentially.

20190629_132914.jpg.6b37affd623d53f06e5639ca2d2e8af7.jpg20190629_132855.jpg.0889ef89df12aae89631c42683935987.jpg

Next up is the transfers on the TTA'S but that can wait for next week as its too nice to be indoors!

Cheers

James

Edit - just noticed iv forgotton to add the mu cable to the front.. job for another day, time for a beer

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Evening all, bit of an update on the TTA's, transfers now on, barring numbers as i somehow forgot to order them... each ones a bit different as the real ones were most copied off pictures but a couple a very much in the 'if it looks right, it is right' camp. 4 out of the 6 are different on each side to give a bit more variety. Got enough transfers for a couple more so once i get some more roof walks theres a couple more to do. Transfers are a mix of Railtec & Fox cant fault the service and quality, so easy to use.

20190703_225225.jpg.79c419422380fe0dd79c12774c6b6576.jpg20190703_225208.jpg.5bff398845f9c0c7017981f5540d19e3.jpg

If any one needs some of the older style larger black/white stars i have plenty as i ordered the wrong ones originally... never knew there were 2 sizes, send me a message if you want some.

Ta for looking

James

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/06/2019 at 13:31, jessy1692 said:

20190629_132816.jpg.cd258a699043b6420bad90fb95a31a71.jpgHad a bit of spare time after i went to work early this morning so i sorted the plates on 37 905. I varnished it last night so its finally finished, pending a sound unit potentially.

20190629_132914.jpg.6b37affd623d53f06e5639ca2d2e8af7.jpg20190629_132855.jpg.0889ef89df12aae89631c42683935987.jpg

Next up is the transfers on the TTA'S but that can wait for next week as its too nice to be indoors!

Cheers

James

Edit - just noticed iv forgotton to add the mu cable to the front.. job for another day, time for a beer

Hi James,

So it's you that modelled DPH1.

Quick question where did you get the double arrows that adorn the 37 pictured above ?  I need similar for my AC electrics

Gibbo.

27 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

So it's you that modelled DPH1.

Quick question where did you get the double arrows that adorn the 37 pictured above ?  I need similar for my AC electrics

Gibbo.

Yes it is i that did DHP1, the stainless arrows are from the excellent range from Shawplan, Have you got Brian's details? I have his email on the bench but i usually see him at the various shows, im usually buying his excellent Deltic bits

5 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Yes it is i that did DHP1, the stainless arrows are from the excellent range from Shawplan, Have you got Brian's details? I have his email on the bench but i usually see him at the various shows, im usually buying his excellent Deltic bits

If you fancy a go at DHP1 i can send you over my 4mm (ish) drawings @Gibbo

Edited by jessy1692
Tagging Gibbo

3 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

If you fancy a go at DHP1 i can send you over my 4mm (ish) drawings @Gibbo

Hi James,

I know of Shawplan, thanks for that.

By all means send the drawings for DHP1, but don't hold your breath for me to do anything with them any time soon. You may have seen all of the DMU's I have to work through yet not to mention everything else including the house and four motorbikes.

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

I know of Shawplan, thanks for that.

By all means send the drawings for DHP1, but don't hold your breath for me to do anything with them any time soon. You may have seen all of the DMU's I have to work through yet not to mention everything else including the house and four motorbikes.

Gibbo.

Will send the pics and plans i have next time im round at me Dads Gibbo. If you can find a back copy of Traction i had a 4 page spread on the project in Traction Modelling section but it was pretty much a thinned out version of this thread.(Laptop seems to be residing there to run railmaster) Love your collection of DMU's im quite partial to an 'exotic' unit but alas im much more side tracked with locos, and now TTA's and shortly with freightliners....will be keeping an eye on your projects though, just wish i had the time to crack on. 'Normal' life and fair weather fishing just gets in the way these days....

So now that its cooled down a bit and has started to rain and rain and rain, i managed a good bit of time on the bench. Basically i have been tweaking things to get things finished off properly before i embark on the freightliners. So 37 905 was finished but running poorly so today saw me take it to pieces and do a thorough degrease and clean of the chassis and tweaked the pick ups, running much better and quieter now so was definately needed.

20190728_200403.jpg.b0df557807eb6835f5fa568d8742e9c6.jpg

Next up was to wheel the TTAs, only thing left on these now is ordering some numbers, should be done this week so can get them blown over with varnish.

Blue Kestrel has finally had a start made on its yellow ends now i have stopped putting off how they should look, at least no one can tell me its wrong!

20190728_200353.jpg.6fec0cceb0a508e6081c2ead2f12451e.jpg

20190728_202050.jpg.a7a0bcad35cdbb46936eb96c4ccf01b8.jpg

Me Dad joined me at his bench and we have sorted a plan to motor and finish the Bachmann prototype deltic body we have, its missing various bits but we have had a break through today.

I bought some 'Blue Stuff' a while ago and its sat in drawer pending a trial, today we had a go at creating a mould with it, basically its a thermo plastic so you soak it in a cup of boiling water for a few minutes to make it maleable and then press whatever u you want into it. Once it cools you can take the original out and the press filler of resin in. When its cured you can the re use the 'Blue Stuff' by heating it again ready for your next project, dead clever.

I have some containers with missing back doors so as a trial we had a go at making some new ones with the blue stuff, first we used some green stuff filler which was a bit sticky to use and we then tried again with milliput which seemed easier to use. Early indications look very promising so we have had a go at casting a new door for the Deltic, should know more tomorrow how its all gone and once the trial bits have cured off.

20190728_202403.jpg.10ba2645470524e6a7d657fe59c3f654.jpg

20190728_202117.jpg.012b8c9fdee21391f2ab21fcbb9ae4c3.jpg

20190728_202115.jpg.de11ea745a44323013b78723b0dde35f.jpg

Finally plans are moving ahead for a class 47 to a class 48 conversion, probably will be a slow mover this one but we shall see..

Very productive and enjoyable weekend.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

It seems August disapeared in the blink of an eye, now that September is here again and little lad has started high school things are settling down again which means more time to crack on with the trains!

So, whats been going on? Well Kestrel as of tonight is ready for transfers which iv had in stock for a while, this week saw a bit of weathering and picking out details in silver and white and tonight gloss varnish patches painted for transfers. Hoping to get this finished this week with decent weather here for a bit.

20190917_224529.jpg.2554647bcb2a1d86d9917b61a66ce6f8.jpg

My dad is getting on with his 71 i got him for his bday in August which prompted a conversation and a very generous offer from  @rka   of a 74 body trade, this will be a slow burn project as it stands but having the 71 side frames made up for the kit we made a mould with the 'blue stuff' and after a few trials we have cast some sideframed for the 74 to eventually use. The collector shoes were already glued on by this point so will be removed from the casting once work starts tidying them uo proper, they arnt perfect but its better than nothing, another gap in the collection filled!

20190917_230159.jpg.10d6b002a1bc7d5f500542fca67aed8a.jpg

The last couple of session has had me painting catfish and fixing some wagons missing various bits to get them off the 'to do pile' ready to get going with the freightliners. A detailing from S Kits has been sent for so just awaiting its arrival and work can start. Thanks @Gibbo675 for all the info so far, cant wait to start these.

20190917_223930.jpg.fee7f1e22995dae9c4c1f984a5f2ade0.jpg

Finally, another of the 'to dos' was to strip down my Janus and prep for painting into BR green, sick of BP blue...

20190917_223751.jpg.7de56eb54a01193891f0c9dfa7360362.jpg

Logo removed with fibreglass brush and coupling hole filled in on one end, windows and the 3 metal mushroom things (air filters?) Mascol'd up as i didnt fancy my chances of not breaking the handrails to remove the cab.

20190917_223756.jpg.ed928e5f50f914c723f43a96e261ffe2.jpg

Think that covers most of it...

More soon hopefully.

Cheer

James

Edited by jessy1692
Spelling and general wordery
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

20 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

It seems August disapeared in the blink of an eye, now that September is here again and little lad has started high school things are settling down again which means more time to crack on with the trains!

So, whats been going on? Well Kestrel as of tonight is ready for transfers which iv had in stock for a while, this week saw a bit of weathering and picking out details in silver and white and tonight gloss varnish patches painted for transfers. Hoping to get this finished this week with decent weather here for a bit.

20190917_224529.jpg.2554647bcb2a1d86d9917b61a66ce6f8.jpg

My dad is getting on with his 71 i got him for his bday in August which prompted a conversation and a very generous offer from  @rka   of a 74 body trade, this will be a slow burn project as it stands but having the 71 side frames made up for the kit we made a mould with the 'blue stuff' and after a few trials we have cast some sideframed for the 74 to eventually use. The collector shoes were already glued on by this point so will be removed from the casting once work starts tidying them uo proper, they arnt perfect but its better than nothing, another gap in the collection filled!

20190917_230159.jpg.10d6b002a1bc7d5f500542fca67aed8a.jpg

The last couple of session has had me painting catfish and fixing some wagons missing various bits to get them off the 'to do pile' ready to get going with the freightliners. A detailing from S Kits has been sent for so just awaiting its arrival and work can start. Thanks @Gibbo675 for all the info so far, cant wait to start these.

20190917_223930.jpg.fee7f1e22995dae9c4c1f984a5f2ade0.jpg

Finally, another of the 'to dos' was to strip down my Janus and prep for painting into BR green, sick of BP blue...

20190917_223751.jpg.7de56eb54a01193891f0c9dfa7360362.jpg

Logo removed with fibreglass brush and coupling hole filled in on one end, windows and the 3 metal mushroom things (air filters?) Mascol'd up as i didnt fancy my chances of not breaking the handrails to remove the cab.

20190917_223756.jpg.ed928e5f50f914c723f43a96e261ffe2.jpg

Think that covers most of it...

More soon hopefully.

Cheer

James

Good luck with the Freightliners !

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well the last couple of weeks have been manic,work has been hit with a ransom ware virus so most systems in the group are down still, my department got away lightly but having 2/3rds of my team of 3 off for 2 weeks left me a bit frazzled from pretty much ten hour days so modelling time has been non existant.. Thankfully staffing levels are back up so im back to normal so have cracked on:

Janus is coming along, looking nice and green, just need the yellow and a few more coats of red. It will be finished in a sudo BR livery eventually.

20191010_225904.jpg.9715645d5890073f73755edfcbbf05ed.jpg

Freightliners, finally work has started properly with these, i have an S Kits detailing pack now for the flats so work has started dropping the bogies out and filing the pivots down by 2mm. 5 flats done so far, detailing to start imminently and ill post some pics.

20191010_225857.jpg.401403abc6b01ade9c9ecbeafbd79951.jpg

The boxes are in various states of painting, most in the traditional rail grey and red, one is having a blue stripe to mix it up a bit. I have 3 triang flats also that iv copped some of the side boards out of a couple to add a bit of interest.

20191007_201926.jpg.acfaf3a0b5396745468f58a2a44b87ba.jpg

Last week i took delivery of a couple more flats with the triang tank containers in the horrible beige livery. I had seen a seller on ebay selling repro stickers for triang/Hornby wagons and he does a set for the tanks to convert to ICI Anhydrous Amonia tanks. I think they are ficticious but look the part in blue and white. These are nearly done, just need some gloss white spray on the barrels before i add the ICI stickers. The other set of 3 are in primer also, i have a set of shell stickers from the same seller and these may get used but i may do another 3 in the ICI colours.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173895956731

Thats about it for now, hopefully have some pics of the freightliner flats conversion/detailing next time.

Also awaiting the arrival of 'the life and times of freightliner' book so i can add a bit more varity/oddities along the way,oh and ill start on the caboose soon too.

Cheers for looking in

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi James,

With regard your blue stripe Freightliner boxes I received some most helpful information about the livery and services that they were used upon in this thread I posted asking what they were and used for. The photos supplied by Arran are the ones that shew best the lettering of the blue stripe livery.

I have some spare Freightliner flat wagons, if you are interested do send me a PM.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

With regard your blue stripe Freightliner boxes I received some most helpful information about the livery and services that they were used upon in this thread I posted asking what they were and used for. The photos supplied by Arran are the ones that shew best the lettering of the blue stripe livery.

I have some spare Freightliner flat wagons, if you are interested do send me a PM.

Gibbo.

Thanks Gibbo, thats exactly the thread that gave me the inspiration for the blue stripe, its great having a bit of time to read these things at work again! 

Thanks for the offer on the flats, i have 11 in stock at the mo so more than enough for me really, although i do plan to tackle the prototype set of 4 which you did a little while back once i have the 'standard' 5 flat set running. 

I do like that guiness tanker on that thread, any one any better pics?

Cheers

James

4 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Thanks Gibbo, thats exactly the thread that gave me the inspiration for the blue stripe, its great having a bit of time to read these things at work again! 

Thanks for the offer on the flats, i have 11 in stock at the mo so more than enough for me really, although i do plan to tackle the prototype set of 4 which you did a little while back once i have the 'standard' 5 flat set running. 

I do like that guiness tanker on that thread, any one any better pics?

Cheers

James

Hi James,

The photo of the Guinness (Harp lager) tanker is the only one I've ever seen but it is quite interesting as the tank is fixed via bearers to a sole plate in much the way that the Triang chemical tanks are fixed to a sole plate with the difference being only the shape of the tank. The Harp tank has also end frames to allow stacking which the Triang tank does not have. You probably Know that the Triang tank in the BP livery is fairly accurate to a prototype that I can't seem to find any pictures of right now however there is a photo f similar in the book you have ordered. The reason for the oval tank on chemical wagons is to do with the density of the fluid opposed to round section tanks for fluids of higher density.

I have no other photos of any such tank and the trouble with such tanks is that they are sometimes made in small batches to customer requirements so there may only be perhaps five, ten or twenty in service distributed here and there and so finding a photo is difficult. There are various general user types of tank for food grade use that are washed out and used for other commodities and so are built in larger numbers and are more easily found in photographs.

Gibbo.

I do wonder if the 'BP' containers were simply modified from contemporary road tanks? Certainly, this seemed to be a common cross-section on road tanks until fairly recently, even for petrol/diesel trailers. It would be difficult to find details of build quantities, as all, barring some prototypes, were privately built and owned.

Just to whet your appetites, here is a link to a current site of tank container liveries. Many are American, but there are quite few familiar types, such as the 'Suttons of St Helens', looking slightly out-of-place in the arid western USA.

http://www.matts-place.com/intermodal/part2/tanks.htm

13 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I do wonder if the 'BP' containers were simply modified from contemporary road tanks? Certainly, this seemed to be a common cross-section on road tanks until fairly recently, even for petrol/diesel trailers. It would be difficult to find details of build quantities, as all, barring some prototypes, were privately built and owned.

Just to whet your appetites, here is a link to a current site of tank container liveries. Many are American, but there are quite few familiar types, such as the 'Suttons of St Helens', looking slightly out-of-place in the arid western USA.

Brian

You could try contact Guiness as they might have something in their archives!

Mark Saunders

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Hi FC,

Having worked for Clayton Commercials almost thirty years ago building road tankers I would say that it would be most unlikely that any container tanks would have been built from converted road tankers for the bearer structure would be incompatible with the forms used in the examples of container tanks. Also that rolling the tank shell is one of the easiest and cheapest part of the build of any tank be it mounted on a railway chassis, road bogie or as part of a container.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Brian

You could try contact Guiness as they might have something in their archives!

Mark Saunders

Guinness's press and PR department used to be very helpful. As a student, I wrote asking if I might have a copy of their 'Guinness is good for you' poster, thinking they might send me an A2 or 3 print. Somedays later, I was awakened by the postman, bearing a bill-board-sized copy.. We had enough to paper the living room.

• Funny 3

Cheers for the idea chaps, life and times of freightliner dropped through the door this morning so will have a good look through later on.

May get onto guiness at somepoint to see if they have any info on them Harp tanks.

Cheers

James

5 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Those old Triang Hornby containers scrub up well with a new paint job, and this looks like another interesting project that you're starting.

Nice to see your Kestrel with HS 4000 logo peering out from behind the tower of containers!

John.

Cheers John, im very pleased with how they have come out, about half have had new doors glued in from our home made castings, not the best but do the job. Kestrel is just awaiting final varnish to seal the transfers, just realised i havnt a photo of it since i transfered it up,then just glazing to follow. Im rather pleased with it in blue, will look nice on the freightliners eventually along with my blue DP2. Weather has been against out door spraying of late. Should have done it today really but had 4 of my lads mates round doing 'homework',was like herding cats!

Edited by jessy1692
Bad wording
  • Friendly/supportive 1