A Pennsylvanian Shortline

bertiedog

Oh, yes, very nice! Now if I could just trouble you for some resin castings....... about a dozen would be good........biggrin.gif [ only joking, but they are very nice indeed, and as you say, possibly the closest match you are likely to find]

I already had some resin castings in mind, I will check and measure the exact wheel base when they arrive. Only the curved hornways do not match exactly, and the shape of the beam is slightly out, but close! I think they are Kemtron or the modern Precision models versions.

I am tempted to do a brass chassis to go with these nicer castings, perhaps even twin motored.

Of course the exactly correct ones will turn up on Ebay next!!!

Stephen.

found these [bringing the thread a stage or two backwards, I'm afraid] quite by chance, whilst searching for something entirely different.

stewarttown35tonplymouth.jpg

a Plymouth, 35 tonner

stewartstown25tonplymouth.jpg

a plymouth, 25 tonner

[it appears the above are entirely in the public domain] :blink:

now..wheelbase currently unknown..[but working on it]...no issues with sideframes here.....however, what about a UE drive truck, with a motor fixed directly to it?

Yes, I was looking into these small Stewartstown switchers, built by the Fate-Root-Heath division of Plymouth Locomotive Works, but the Ernie chassis has curious outside bearings, which actually align and space the wheels, and the 4 wheel bogie unit that does not have outside pickups is too big...just might squeeze in, but tight, with motor in cab.

Stephen.

MDC didn't exactly copy the real shape, did they? The beam is quite different from most shots on the Boxcab sites, the tender brass frames are nearer "right". I never worry much about the bubble holes, a drop of putty filler will usually put it right.

I will try some resin copies on the brass ones as soon as they arrive, using Vinamold, and brass loaded resin. I can't find the type in any Kemtron catalogue, they must be Cal Scale or Cary, but there have been dozens of other makers.

A wood planked boxcar for restoration, NMRA British region livery!!, Ambroid kit I think, from a friend many years ago, weathered, needs a clean, repairs, some kadees, and a new door on one side. Fitted with Central Valley arch bar fully sprung bogies.

post-6750-126956729853_thumb.jpg

Stephen.

A wood planked boxcar for restoration, NMRA British region livery!!, Ambroid kit I think, from a friend many years ago, weathered, needs a clean, repairs, some kadees, and a new door on one side. Fitted with Central Valley arch bar fully sprung bogies.

post-6750-126956729853_thumb.jpg

Stephen.

Looks great, the BR logo doesn't look out of place eithercool.gif

post-6750-126964165097_thumb.jpg

On with the locomotive shed assembly, the other side oak cladding boards on, the track to be fitted next, the cross beams in place, which can support LED lighting, and steam deflector boards made, to go in last, after roof is ready.

Windows being cut out and framed etc, and doors fitted, both the side and end.

Stephen

post-6750-126989750645_thumb.jpg

Now a query for North American RM web members, this is the Grade Crossing at Stewartstown PA, with the Pennsylvanian locomotive shed on the left hand side, and the three tracks across the roadway,(one track is abandoned currently).

Now...... currently the grade crossing is classed Railroad Exempt, as per the road sign-age, which is because of extremely low use, and train movements are only allowed at low speed.

Now........ the main query is about the road markings etc, are they modern?, and what would have been applied in the past?

Is the RXR marking an old idea or modern? and also the central double yellow lines,....... are they modern?

Would it have been a full crossing in the past?, and what would have been the older road markings?

In the past I would have assumed a klaxon or bell whilst operating, but it seems at moment only the locomotive has to sound a warning. I further assume that lights would have been displayed on a train crossing movement. There are no lights there now.

Thanks for any replies, I have looked up PA current regulations, but wonder what the 1930's situation would have been on a shortline like this branch.

Stephen.

Stephen,

In the 1930s unless traffic justified the expense of an automatic signal you would probably have a simple crossbuck (X shaped sign on a post) to warn motorists that there was a crossing. All the noise would have come from the engine (long, long, short, long whistle with the engine bell for good measure). Lines on the road would have been white if there at all. These conditions still exist on many lines in North America.

HTH

David

Thanks for the replies, the main warning sign can remain virtually as is, with the X on the road, no yellow or white lines, and the exempt sign is from the 1960's period. It simplifies matters somewhat, there is not much approach road anyway on the model, but it can have signage a bit closer than scale.

Plenty of power lines, transformers and phone cables on the crossing stretch to do.

Stephen.

Sheepscot Scale Products has some interesting trucks for your period. The Mack BG would look well alongside those locomotives: http://www.sheepscotscale.com/site/2010/03/15/1930s-era-mack-bg-stake-body-truck

That's about the type, just right for the 30's/40's, and also two or three cars, and a pick-up, and an Indian in-line four for a Police bike......

post-6750-127004611389_thumb.jpg

Stephen

Also does any body do a Divco Dairy delivery van, the classic US type?

post-6750-127004757245_thumb.jpg

Stephen.

Walthers did one similar to your photo: http://www.toysperiod.com/walthers-9334002-divco-milk-truck-ho-scale-step-van-vehicle-p-884.html Part number 933-4002. Listed in the 2008 catalog (I only buy that every two or three years) as a resin kit selling for 8.98. Couldn't find it on their website, but then I can never find anything on that site.

Archived