A Pennsylvanian Shortline

bertiedog

• RMweb Premium

Stephen - do a google search for Everbuild Lumberjack 30 Minute polyurethane wood glue - (they do a 5-minute version as well) around £9.00 for a 750 gm pot - the construction industry version of Gorilla and MUCH cheaper.

Wear gloves when using - If it gets on skin and sets, it will be there for 10 days or so!

My Bolding - I can vouch for that statement! Also don't spill any on feet with socks on - getting the sock off afterwards can be a bit tricky :D (Don't ask)

My Bolding - I can vouch for that statement! Also don't spill any on feet with socks on - getting the sock off afterwards can be a bit tricky :D (Don't ask)

Pardon the expression, it used to be called "expanding snot".......nasty stuff on skin, but good at wood joints, where the expansion was useful, and the glue is sand-able and stain-able as well.

I don't use it on cost grounds, as it has a tendency to go off as moisture makes it set, and storage is difficult to keep it totally dry. Freezing it works, but sometimes the moisture has already got in.

Stephen.

Pretty close - and on sale !

Life-Like Products SceneMaster Truck - Milk Truck

and not even close - too boxy and too expensive -

Woodland Scenics Co AutoScenes w/Figures & Accessories - Painted, Assembled - Micky's Milk Delivery (50s Delivery Van w/Milkman & Lady Customer)

Right off of the Walthers site - just used the single word - milk - as the search term - and just ignored everthing that was a rail car or a can :)

Gil, known as Bill somedays ... B)

Right off of the Walthers site - just used the single word - milk - as the search term - and just ignored everthing that was a rail car or a can :)

Gil, known as Bill somedays ... B)

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but you'd think their site would at least give you a Product discontinued message when you give it the part number! OK, I'll fess up, I don't have much time for Walthers. :rolleyes: Dave Cleal at Mainly Trains could have given them a few lessons in running a business.

Thanks for the bike and Milk Delivery suggestions, I will try the Langley one, despite their reputation for odd detailing etc. on castings, this one is a resin kit, not metal, and may be bought in rather than in-house.

The Walthers site is vast, and disorganised on the grand scale.....I'll have to wait for a van, and may even scratchbuild, as opening doors etc., are vital features on these, could be added to the simpler one though.

Figures are no problem, OO will do fine, I need the usual suspects!

Cost has got to be kept low, far too much spent on the Lindsay and Consolidation, bargains, but still cost money.

More to do on the enginehouse, and a start soon on the station buildings. I have the rail sections for the track on order, so points are first on the actual layout construction.

Stephen.

A quick query, the Internet is a bit silent on this important issue....., what do common types of American milk churns look like?..... are they tapered like older UK types, or the Straight sided type with a "Hat" Top, which I assumed was US pattern from working on a replica Houdini escape trick milk can, built by Houdini in the States...and no I won't tell you how it worked!!

Amongst the various local produce transported on the Stewartstown branch were dairy products, so a few authentic US churns will be needed.

Stephen.

These Classix OO scale vehicles might be worth working on, both resemble pre-war US designs, especially the Morris J.

post-6750-127014471309_thumb.jpg

Any body know if these are metal die cast bodies? or are they plastic?.

Stephen.

http://www.desertclassics.com/IHC48van.html

for another ]International] make of US delivery van?

[sorry you posted teh same thing at the same time? Note how much wider the prototype pix appear, to the advertising piccy?]

http://www.elmfarm.com/Photo_Tour_1.html

has some US-style milk churns in the foreground [i assume they are, since this is a USA museum...?]

Yes, a bit more research shows both the Morris J and the Coop delivery from Classix would convert easily to US outline, the Coop van is a dead ringer for an Ice cream wagon. The slight scale increase of 00 helps bring them to US size anyway.

Still after a distinctive 1930/40s Mack rig tractor and trailer...........

A quick enquiry, are Jordan Highway Miniatures, the vehicle kit makers ever retailed in the UK? There are some on US Ebay and from retailers there, and I notice they do an un-powered Mack Railcar kit now.... and that they do Kits for Mack Trucks from the 1920's etc.

Stephen.

Re Jordan - I think the original Macs Modelling had some - I actually had one of their Mack Switchers which I attempted (unsuccessfully) to fit on a SPUD. Somewhere I have a partial kit of a Mack Railbus, picked up at a show somewhere, but I know it isn't complete.

I don't think anyone has answered the question about milk churns: yes, those are the correct US type. Several companies make them in HO.

Bollinger-Edgerley has milk cans: http://www.besttrains.com/products_4000.html

My daughter bought me a kit from them for Christmas and said they were extremely helpful when she called, the kit arrived very well packed, so I can recommend them.

This appears to be a UK writer about milk operations, however these are the canisters I recall.

2churn.jpg

This would be a sterilizing bay and note the flatbed truck used over a delivery truck... This is important to note depending upon what is being detailed. Bulk milk wouldn't have been transported in a panel van, that would have been the finished product which was distributed in quart glass bottles along with other dairy products. As a kid we had an insulated metal box alongside the backdoor to the kitchen, milk delivery occurred in the earliest hours of morning.

cbay1950.jpg

The galvanised iron milk churn was introduced from the USA in the 1850's and soon replaced the 'pail' although this required a wheeled vehicle to carry it.

milk production and delivery

lol! alco on the pic... A quote from the caption, I think I had similar thoughts as a kid.

Borden's is a local Dairy.

Mom always bought Borden's. It had a cow (Elsie) on the label. We also used Elmer's glue which had a bull on the label.

Somehow, as a child, I believed that Elmer and Elsie were married and lived in the suburbs.

Archived