End of the spur, is no more

Sorry to hear about your bad back Ray. My bad back problems started about 20 years when I was building one of my many small layouts. My jigsaw packed up so I used a  hand saw to cut some chipboard.

Next day I was in agony and the pain lasted for months. My back hasn't been the same since but it didn't stop me building countless layouts since. I've always found that beer is the best pain-killer!

Your layout is looking great, hope you'll be fitting sound to those S2s. Sound fitted Alcos are my favourite.  I'm intrigued by project X-BIF, makes me think it would be great if BIF did some US sound projects. I have a few of his sound projects in my UK diesels and they are superb.

Mal

• Like 1

Ray;

The pet food processor that I used to do computer work for on the odd occasion here in Victoria was a god-awful place. In winter there was the smell, and some flies, whilst in summer it was all flies and a bad smell. Hopefully you've got the other end of the business and it is all warehousing. Otherwise you are going to need s swarm of scale flies there somewhere, and a persistent buzzing.

Some food processing plants for human consumption don't smell much better!! Dairies as well - spilt milk = ugh!!! :O

Bakeries on the other hand - the smell of warm, fresh bread :yes: ;)

• RMweb Gold

Andrew

we already have enough, smells and flies at exhibitions, with the great un-washed, don't want anymore or they'll think my layout will be a meeting place for all there mates!!!!!!!!!

Ray

P.s note to myself take bottles of Febreze  to exhibitions

Maybe rename one of your industries Airglade

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ray, superb modelling I have to say, gives me some much needed inspiration with my current layouts 're build'.

I'm itching to know what you used for ballast on the track and how you've got that dry dusty look to it even after its been 'PVA'd.

Any chance of an insight in how you got it looking that good?

I always seem to end up with a mainline look to my spurs or if I do get it looking more 'unkempt' in appearance, its the wrong shade or something.

Edited by Gary H

Hi Gary H

Did now't special, I used Woodland scenic light grey ballast which I gave a good blast in my old coffee grinder, then used neat PVA either side of the track and applied the ballast, once dry hovered this up and ballast between the tracks, when I was happy, gave it a good soaking with wet water, then a coat of thinned PVA (60 water-40  PVA, drop of washing up liquid) .

Left this to dry (3 days) then cleaned ballast of rail, sleeper etc, touched up any rails, then everything got a wash of very thin black, when dry, then brown, left to dry, a bit of dry brushing with light grey, brown and black, not to heavy. then I gave the track area a dusting of ground pastels, add grass and " Bobs yer uncle" it may seem a long process, but there's no rush. 

Hope this helps

Ray

Felt ok to plant some trees today, (there not fixed) to see how the would look, like the one in the car park, going to move the others around till i'm happy, the large tree could do with a couple of inches  chopped off I think ,will wait and see

post-13979-0-12116500-1456835582.jpgpost-13979-0-08613100-1456835587.jpg

post-13979-0-37602000-1456835593.jpgpost-13979-0-81798100-1456835597.jpg

post-13979-0-21235500-1456835602.jpg

need some bushes now.

Ray

• Like 6

https://youtu.be/8lzoAS2XiHc

don't know if this link will work, how I plan using my 2x S2 for switching

Ray

update : link not working don't know why, anyone help

Hi Ray,

The usual 'form' of a YouTube link is:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=, followed by the alpha-numeric identifier.  Your link's first part is wrong (or different) on that score, but I tried editing it to 'correct' that and it still does not work.  That suggests that the 'identifier' at the end of your link (8lzoAS2XiHc) is also suspect.  On the other hand, what do I know? (LOL).

Steve N