The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Downgrading Thornton's chocolates

Thornton's own website confirms my own (often skatty) memory http://www.thorntons.co.uk/content.jsp?pageName=100_years_of_thorntons But I remember tm from the late 1950's

note "into" rather than "in" implies a merger/takover or some other buy out. So perhaps they need to rework that page. Even if still independent they have long gone downhill as they tried to please a wider market of possibly less discerning taste. A business only does this by increasing production runs or making products that compete with the mass market Cadbury's/Nestle/Mars of the world. A potential lowering of ingredient quality, maybe as profit becomes the goal, but I'd rather suspect it is simply the move to a "sweetie" market taste and popular appeal. I actually believe that all chocolates have gone down this route as food in general has gone for the sweet tooth and sugar gets added in great excess to everything we eat to make it more appealing for the masses.

It should read 'sold in' not 'into'; there's no mention in any reports I've seen of them being even partially taken over by Sainsbury's. Prior to selling in the big supermarkets, they had supplied M&S with selection boxes for some time, under M&S's own label.

If you want to see a poorly-written (and presented) piece, this 'essay' on Thorntons merits a glance.:-

http://dodohelp.com/index.php/financial-strategy-of-thorntons-plc

Don't read whilst eating or drinking, as keyboards are difficult to clean....

Thanks, Brian - at least that clears that one up. I was convinced that they had been taken over or helped out (perhaps that was in investor group buy in mentioned earlier) Still doesn't make me any happier, or convinced, what many of us here seem to believe about their product decline. If that reflects population at large or is just a biased model railway sample, it doesn't bode well for their future. Of course tastes do change, and perhaps they will move their marketing strategy back to being more exclusive and up-market taste? Or perhaps they will go down the same Nestle drain as Cadbury.

• RMweb Gold

Aft'noon all,

Trying one or two very mediocre chocolates from a 'Thornton's Classic' box today after a number of years without eating them, I was reminded of the period when this brand was family owned and set a high standard. The small white box of 'Belgian' chocolates...some with fresh cream....from their range, being my favourite in the early 1990s.

Has anyone else noticed how ordinary this brand has become? I did hear that they were bought out at some point.

Dave 

Hmm, have they been taken over by Kraft as well then - sounds very much the style of that pack of brand ruiners.

I tend to agree that they have just became another box on the shelves rather than when they had their own shops and it was a pick your own to fill the box size of your choice!

Their was an excitement/enigma going into a proper Thorntons shop and seeing the range of Chocolates available, it was on a par with a shopping at Fenwicks in Newcastle!

Or is it; old age is clouding our memory of what was good or have the others raised their game,(look at the current Bachmann and Hornby offering and compare with ten/fifteen years ago)!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

I quite like Hotel Chocolate, they seem to find a decent line between accessibility and quality and I like there macho milk bar which is a nice half way house between milk and dark chocolate, being stronger flavoured but not full on dark. I actually love the really strong dark chocolate like 80% and above but I do like good milk chocolate too.

• RMweb Gold

Ahh I remember until three years ago having Chococo just out the back door in Swanage :) they're still there and fortunately we still pop down to friends frequently. Huge variety from basic moulded chocs to all sorts of handmade specials. Hidden away right in the middle of the one way system and about 200 yds from the station ;)

There was  a similarily well researched report on statins in yesterday's 'Daily Neurotic'...

To be honest, with a hereditary heart problem in the family, there's a fairly good chance I won't be around in two years' time despite the statins.

Hi

Thortons used to be great, but I am another where they just seem like another basic box of chocolates these days. If you have a local shop then some of the individual ones are still good.

These days Hotel seem to be in the market that Thortons have moved down from.

All the best

K

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Thorntons may be passing into the hands of the Italian chocolate makers of Nutella and Ferrero Rocher;

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/06/22/uk-thorntons-m-a-idUKKBN0P20L220150622

At least there'll be a wider choice of chocolates at the next Ambassadors reception I attend.

But it will make a change from the Nutella spread on the cucumber sandwiches.

They're really spoiling themselves

For me the most exquisite chocolates are from Neuhaus of Belgium.  I discovered them when I went to a conference in Brussels in the early 90s, and a couple of years later managed to get another year's supply whilst changing planes at Brussels airport.  Nowadays they are available in the UK and online, still pricey but really good.

In a way the internet has slightly robbed us of that sense of discovery and rarity when you couldn't get everything on-line so had to go somewhere to find new stuff.  When you could only get Neuhaus in Belgium it was something special, involving travel and a sense of adventure.  Nowadays, with mail order, they lose that special cachet.

It's a bit like Uncle Joes Mintballs.  When I first discovered them you couldn't get them loose over the counter much further south than Hanley Market.  In fact you couldn't get the tins south of the Potteries apart from Harrods.  Now, they are more widespread in tins and available on line.  Still nice and possibly not that widely known outside the north-west but just that little bit less exclusive.

Going completely off topic regarding regional culinary rarities, apparently that Black Country speciality the Battered "Orange" Chip has made it to Barmouth.  Previously largely confined to the Walsall-Wolverhampton-Dudley triangle they are now being served in the former Arousal Café in Barmouth .  Haven't tried them yet as they crucify me with raging heartburn but I might give them a try to see if they are proper orange.

Unfortunately as a fat diabetic I can't eat (much) chocolate. I can understand people finding Lidl/Aldi choc good because when my Dad was working in Germany in the 60's and 70's he brought home bars of German choc and they were wonderful, especially the plain stuff.

Ed

Archived