Scratchbuilt 0-4-0 tanks

persistent_bodger

I have begun sorting out locomotive power for my 2010 project Hockenhull platts railway, check out challenge 2010.

My attention has been drawn to the locomotive fleet. Having very little funds I have bought a number of 0-4-0 tanks off ebay and begun adapting them as best I could. I drew and designed a plan of the locomotive front and back so I would have reference points to build further locomotives. This is probably the most important thing as a scale drawing will save time and iron out any mistakes. It is also a really good basis to develop further designs.

So far I have a hunslet quarry type loco, a tram engine and 2 industrial tanks in a similar outline. Although freelance they have been a good basis to venture further into plans for prototype locomotives. I have begun experimenting with an outside framed hunslet as well as a ffestinoig prince. I have seen the peco and smallbrooke kits but I have very little funds and also wanted something a little unique for the layout as well as refine my skills as a modeller.

The 4 locomotives require handrails, brakes, whistles etc and need painting and weathering. I am unsure of the liveries but think either lined penryhn balck, or flat green?

I have included some pictures of the locomotives with out primer so their parentage can be seen.

Each locomotive has in total cost around £8, and about 6 or 7 hours modelling time. good value I must admit

any comments greatly appreciated

best

Tim

post-8204-126692602128_thumb.jpg

post-8204-126692603688_thumb.jpg

post-8204-126692605473_thumb.jpg

post-8204-126692606504_thumb.jpg

post-8204-126692607819_thumb.jpg

post-8204-126692609193_thumb.jpg

post-8204-126692610327_thumb.jpg

post-8204-126692611427_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Very nice - they are extremely good value at that price. I especially like the quarry hunslet style loco and the tram.

My favourites too; though they all appear to be extremely well made, there's something particularly attractive about the proportions of this pair.

My favourites too; though they all appear to be extremely well made, there's something particularly attractive about the proportions of this pair.

Tim

Well done they are very good, I would love to do a small 0n-16.5 layout (I have 2 peco locos and a coach to build) but have too many other things I want to do first. Will keep an eye on what you are doing. Any wagons or coaches?

Thank you for the comments. I will be building some small wagons and a coach for the layout, I think some slate wagons and an open toped coach. The priority at the moment is to finish the locomotives, paint and weather them. I am one of those people that get half way into something and then move onto something else!

wow very nice....i do like smile.gif

looking forward to the wagons..do you have any more pics of the locos

martin

Thanks, I am painting two of the locos this weekend, will post some better pictures when they are done. I have also started to build to more foreign style locomotives, I knew this would happen I get half way into something and then make something else!

• 2 weeks later...

I like these conversions, very nicely done, but could you possibly give us the parentage of each of the loco's. I recognise some of them and I'm sure some folks will know all of them, but for those who don't it would be very useful to know where to start looking.

You have actually spurred me on to ressurect a Smokey Joe project I started in my life before Port Wynnstay Models. I got as far as a new Hunslet style cab, filed down the sides of the tanks to more like a Hunslet shape ( there is a lot of meat on the sides of the saddle tank) and replaced the wheels and axles with Romford wheels and extended axles with outside cranks. The next job was dummy outside frames and new cylinders and rods, but it stalled there and its sat in a "to do" box for the past 15 years. None of the work past the tank mods were really needed, but I got carried away and the wheels and axles were in the bits box.

Mind you, I started an 8 foot x 1 foot quayside layout in 0-16.5 as a quickie 7 years ago and thats only about half done as well!

Phil T.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tim,

Those little locos look great, but how do they run ? Are they good for very low speed shunting ?

I need such a loco for Wheal Tiny, but it has to be capable of very slow speed.

Cheers

Stu

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

Thank you for all the comments, I am sorry not to have replied but a house move, bad internet connections and a holiday have prevented any modelling progress and replies.

I am painting the loco's this week and have decided to give them a good weathering, I will post these as soon as I can. I have also begun a couple more tank engines only because I found some very tatty remains of 2 locos whilst moving. I have started a couple of wagon bodies but still require some frames which I am bidding on ebay so they should also be completed soon.

The 4 locomotives run well, each one has its own particular quirks, The newer Hornby chassis are certainly better at running at low speeds but I have found a good service and a run in seem to improove their performance.

As to the parentage of the 4 locomotives the quarry hunslet is a Hornby desmond or smokey joe, it has a new plastic card running plate and slots neatly onto the 0-4-0 chassis. The two locomotives one with half cab and the other full are the Hornby industrial 0-4-0 with area from the back of the boiler removed and then the rest of the loco extended. The tram loco is a triang/Hornby 0-4-0 this has had the cab removed a saddle tank fitted on the boiler and side skirts fitted.

I have begun a more prototypical hunslet with outside frames but with everything going on over the last few months I felt I best tackle it when I have more time and patience. I would love to see pictures of your smokey project Phil

I have free quite evening ahead so its out with the modelling equipment and get these things finished otherwise they never will

best

T

Well, after giving the car an MOT, sorting out numerous jobs, I have been able to get back into the work I had previously started.

I have attached a number of images of my Hunslet type Locomotive and other Industrial 0-4-0 narrow gauge Locomotive. I decided the livery would be plain black with brass details, red bolier bands, bufferbeams and coupling rods. The locomotives have been given a good weathering to give the impression of a hard life, this was done using acrylic paints and lightly brushing with a stiff brush. The enclosed Cab Locomotive is going to be given a penryn style lined black livery and the Tram Loco will be given a livery similar to the LBSCR, these still need to be completed. I have numbered the locomotives 2 and 6, these are just hand painted onto small squares of plasticard, I have not decided weather to name them yet, but perhaps in the future

I have also included some pictures of some of the wagons I have scratch built for the railway. These are made from matches and plasticard with some old 00 wheel sets I had lying around. They are similar in design to wagons that were found on many welsh quarries to carry undressed slate. I plan to build at least 20 of these, each with different loads. The other wagon is a scrap wagon, made from plasticard using some old 00 gauge coach wheels sets, I have built 2 of these, although a little high they resemble ones used in quarries. Other wagon stock consists of box van bodies and open sided wagons that fit onto standard 00 gauge wagon chassis. These are unfinished at present but will be painted and weathered like the rest.

I aim to start a blog with links from this area as I am begining to build some new hunslet tank engines, These will be slightly smaller than the one previously made, as I feel the cab is a little long. Each locomotive will be slightly different and painted to represent some of the numerous hunslets in preservation

please let me know what you think, and have alook at my layout which is also taking on shape, photos will be posted and info later on today link Hockenhull platts railway

best

Tim

post-8204-127159220783.jpg

post-8204-127159222101.jpg

post-8204-127159223636.jpg

post-8204-127159224986.jpg

post-8204-127159226281.jpg

post-8204-127159227722.jpg

post-8204-127159228998.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

If you are new to narrow gauge modelling then I would recommend joining the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association. The web site is here http://www.7mmnga.org.uk/ They have a 'Getting Started' handbook which is very useful as it covers things like simple conversions from standard OO locos. They also produced a series of books with numerous drawings in. Depending on your particular interests, there are many kit manufacturers using resin, plastic, white metal, etched brass and a few are listed below - with apologies for any I have missed

American On30 ready to run and various kits from EDM Models http://www.ngtrains.com/

Festiniog and freelance models in resin from Port Wynnstay Models http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Port_Wynnstay/portwynnstay.htm

Freelance loco conversions and rolling stock from Smallbrook Studios http://www.smallbrookstudio.com/page_1201118902437.html

White metal loco kits and plastic kits for UK and USA from the Chivers family http://www.slimrails.co.uk/indexhome.html

14mm gauge Industrial from David Janes at KBscale http://www.kbscale.com/

Etched brass quarry locos from EDM Models and the former Agenoria range http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/EDM_Models/Penrhyn/hunslet.htm

White metal loco and rolling stock kits from Wrightlines - limited availabilty and not on the web

White metal loco kits and plastic kits plus track from Peco - not shown on their web site but available from the Association or some model shops.

If you get the chance, then I should get to Expo Narrow Gauge exhibition at Swanley (Kent) next month where most of these will be represented. The next big show is at Shepton Mallet in February and then Burton upon Trent in May. Member's days are Bradford November and Derby January. I'll be at all of them :D

Good Luck

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry but I haven't been on here for a while. I am quite active on NGRM website which I strongly recomend joining. I would be happy to share the drawings if you would like them but they are very scruffy and probably don't make much sense!

here is a link http://ngrm-online.com/ worth a look and has helped me along the way

best

Tim

• 1 month later...

Archived