Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a prototype photograph exactly

I know we have how realistic are your models thread, I just wondered how about coping a real life photograph exactly, maybe we could have it a competition.

I know unless you are modelling an actual station you are limited but I am sure locos rolling stock and smaller items may work well.

For example I have been building some telegraph poles and tried to get the same angle on the model as the prototype, and the idea popped in my head, I am sure it has been done in the military modelling world.

What do others think?

David

post-186-126753602575_thumb.jpg

post-186-126753646197_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I suppose I'm trying to do that for Ophir, Colorado, on the old Rio Grande Southern, which expired in 1951.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/i?ammem/fsaall:@FILREQ(@FIELD(DOCID+@LIT(fsa2000018873/PP))+@FIELD(COLLID+fsa))

If that link works, you should get a small but necessarily old image. The shed on the right is for the PWay trolley, as the 3' gauge track, on a continuous curve, passes right by the photographer, who is probably standing on Bridge 45B. The station (depot in US parlance) was also the local post office in later years, and the same lady ran both the PO and covered the duties of station agent, possibly not being paid for the latter. The big ugly building beyond the station is the downhill terminal, called a "tramhouse", for an aerial ropeway descending from the mines higher up the mountain. Mountain? Yes, this station is 9236 ft up!

The O gauge (US O gauge is 1/48th scale, not 7mm) hut and the station building are pretty much complete - built from kits by Banta - and the scratchbuilt "tramhouse" really only needs windows, of which there aren't actually many. I also have some other items out of the picture, including the bridge 45B. Off to the left of the picture is the main problem with all this - trestle bridge 45A is 440' long, which scales out at just over 9'!

• RMweb Gold

A very interesting idea David. I like your initial entry which emphasizes that it doesn't have to be a large scene, but can be individual items.

Any photos featuring people would be tricky though...

• RMweb Gold

OK my attempt

A very fine attempt, but - not the sort of thing one usually says to a chap! - I'm afraid you need a bigger chimney! It dominates the original pic, and yours looks slightly lost by comparison. Very fine modelling, but not quite the full effect you are after!

• RMweb Gold

the problem of 2mm modelling what is correct looks all wrong

Ah! The acid test of good modelling! I had no idea it was 2mm! Really superb! Try mocking up a larger chimney and see if it cuts the mustard? Everything else you have made in that shot looks precise and square. Getting the camera angle right must be much more difficult in 2mm, too. Worth a quick try?

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here's my attempt at modelling something real...

post-7025-127487511794_thumb.jpg

post-7025-127487513759.jpg

Still needs more gutters and downpipes, and a few signs and boxes on the walls, but I'm quite happy overall.

Stu

• 4 weeks later...

Archived