RMweb

Idle Speculation and the Hornby Announcement

Caledonian

Guess i came into this rather late, but heres mine for Hornby, And although id be stretching the 3 wish's bit, how about either 3 wish's for each catagory, or include buildings?

Wessex Trains Class 153329 & 153369 - Done as a pack

Any 153 In First Great Western Local Lines Livery

Irish Rail 201 Class in Intercity Livery - even if they could do just a re release of the model with better traction motors id be happy - 67 ish

Coaches

Irish Rail Mk3s

First Great Western Green and Gold Mk3s - not just ordinary mk3s, but also a RFM and BFO certainly wouldnt go amisswink.gif

And finally on the rolling stock side, Virgin Trains Pretendolino Mk3s and DVT

But One thing we dont get asked my manufactures, is what about buildings...Afterall, for those of us who have a layout, surely buildings are in some cases, as important as the rolling stock we run?

Certainly mine would be a largeley GWR based range, which is fortunatly coming out by Bachmann, but is like something like a few station buildings next, say something like St Erth or Truro.

But why stick to just one area, id like to also create a fictional layour based upon Ireland/Northern ireland, but until recently, the only rtr manufacturer to produce irish models has been Bachmann.

But aswell as this, what about differing the range of non railway buildings? Afterall, pretty much non of the Skaledale range would be any god to me modelling the west country or the southern end of the cotswolds are they? just as much as if i was to model somewhere in Scotland.

And finally why stick to just one period, when theres quite a good range of railway architecture, ranging from the 1900s and before, to the 1920/1930s buildings of the Southern and Charles Holdens buildings of the London Underground, right the way up to the modern and refurbished buildings of today, such as the new Network Rail 'Modular Station' designs of Corby and Mitcham Eastfields..

So More buildings required please rolleyes.gif

Would love to see a trans pennine full 6 car unit, Was it trix who did the ends of one in an odd scale? I forget now. Also a blue pullman? Hornby have been there once already with that one, and they do still ocmmand a high price despite there always been plenty for sale. I'm not sure owners of blue pulmans would pe especially pleased if a new one appeared though.

Copied from pat hammands site, some interesting news?

"All I will say for now is that I went into the meeting believing that we were going to be told that 2010 will be a 'catch-up' year and came away delighted with what I heard. There is to be no slowdown in Hornby's development of new subjects and replacement of old models with retooled ones. Indeed, the programme that Hornby have planned for the next 18 months is one of the most exciting so far and demonstrates a company with confidence about the future. Furthermore, you will not have to wait long for some of the planned new models as we were able to handle and photograph models at were already well advanced in their development."

lol, that was not there a few seconds ago!

Just beat me to it...

well, we're promised both new subjects and re-tooled oldies, so here's my five, slightly revisited:

1. GWR Dean Goods (re-tooled with loco drive)

2. 2P (retooled with loco drive and produced in S&DJR livery)

3. B1 new

4. 0-6-0 tank engine - possibly an older one (J83?) re-tooled

5. Just a wild card - a Crosti-boilered 9F to make use of that new chassis

My guess, is that "retooled" points more towards things like B17, B12, and maybe even the 101, and that some of this is the "supplementary announcement" from last year that never happened - ie a new LNER engine will be one of the early items. I think they are more likely to retool an existing LNER 4-6-0 than launch into a completely new one , leaving the old ones unimproved

The "new subjects" are anyone's guess - I think it sounds like they are bolder than we might have expected

Interesting news from MREMag. If they're following the usual Hornby pattern (of old stalwarts slipping out of the catalogue to be replaced the next year) I'd go for these:

4F

2P

We've had loads of hints about LNER, so I'd guess new models of one -- or both -- the following:

B12

B17

Personally I'd love a D16, and given the "saturation" in the more common models maybe it's time something like that was produced?

And I don't buy this argument that it's the turn of other regions because the Southern has "had too much": I think, like all good businesses, Hornby will also be seeking to build on its Southern success. I'd speculate they'll finally produce an SR-era EMU -- maybe:

2BIL

Though I wouldn't be surprised at more SR steam, maybe something a bit left-field (maybe they've noticed Bachmann's apparent neglect of their Lord Nelson class?). Or maybe it's time for a new Class 73? And -- revealing the full level of my ignorance -- I don't know what proportion of model locos are sold to "hard-core" modellers versus the "softer" end of the market -- depending on the scale of the latter market, and given that Hornby's distribution network there is overwhelmingly better than Heljan's, maybe there's a market for a new 33?

My guess is Hornby will "complete the set" and provide some new GWR coaches for all those brand-new GWR locos to haul. But I know very little about the GWR so happily defer to other people's speculation.

My final guess is that, depending on the sales figures for the reworked Lima 87, Hornby may also produce a new electric loco -- maybe an 85, or maybe a new 90?

Oh, and no-one's produced a brand-new Class 37 for about 5 minutes, have they?

Paul

nooooo! I'd have to have one of them for Summat angry.gif wink.gif laugh.gif cool.gif

Still think after the way people have raved about the new Railroad 9F chassis, that a super-detail Crosti 9F could be on the cards, but to be honest I'm not bothered, its all a happy bit of pre-christmas froth

• RMweb Gold

Just took a look at Chris Leigh's comments in the 'Model Rail' thread for this month's issue. He alludes to five releases, two of which didn't surprise him in the least, one of which was very nice but 'not entirely unexpected', and two of which were 'complete curve balls'. Hmmmm.

Then there's this:

I've had some successes with my suggestions - the Class 153 (after about 4 years) and this coming year there will be something else that I suggested several years ago. I'm not suggesting that I can sway anything, merely that it doesn't do any harm to put forward things which I know modellers want. Hornby sometimes respond to a well dropped hint!

CHRIS LEIGH

Hmmm again.

Going back to first principles , in a normal year we would expect 3 steamers + 1 D+E traction item + a range of coaches. An LNER loco retool looks a very good bet , so we need to find 2 kettles and something D+E.

I can't see any new diesel locos, electric locos are unproven, so that points to MUs . Hornby don't have a modern spec Modernisation Plan DMU. Bachmann will soon have two. A 3rd rail EMU is an obvious possibility - either a Maunsell one to go with SR steam, or a modern one to go with Eurostars and Javelins

This suggests at least one, possibly both of the other steam engines are new subjects. I'm not sure if a Compound counts as new , but surely Hornby must be trying to build on their 0-4-4T/4-4-0 developments?? Johnson 0-4-4T? exNER G5?? Did Caley 0-4-4Ts work in England??. MR 2F or 3F 0-6-0??

If there's a GW loco , this pattern suggests it's not a retool. Dukedog??? 72XX ??? 54xx/64xx??. 43xx??

Coaches - we're agreed they are either GW or BR aircon

Some interesting steam age wagons??

• RMweb Gold

For the 'no surprise' I'm going to go with a B17 and GWR coaches. For the 'not entirely unexpected' release I reckon we're looking at a D10/D11. For one of the 'curve balls' I'm going to suggest an LMS Garratt because if I remember that Model Rail interview aright, it was Chris Leigh who first suggested it to Kohler. For the other one I agree that an EMU is a fair bet; either a 'Nelson' or a 375.

Pity the search engine on the Hornby website isn't as leaky as it was last year. :)

... Furthermore, you will not have to wait long for some of the planned new models ...

That's the best news, as it hopefully means Hornby consider they are through the worst of the logistics problems that were inflicted by the Sanda Kan failure.

This potential customer is already totally (and cheerfully) broke in prospect, by combined assault of Bach's Presflo, A2, O4, class 105 and mk1 TPO; Heljan's class 15 and 23, Hornby's six wheel bogie Pullmans. It will almost be a relief if there is only one LNE oriented item in the Hornby announcement... Regarding the Southern thing, Hornby deserve nothing but praise for having expanded what is available there, correcting a very marked long term imbalance. Every time I run the Q1 on a transfer freight, it strikes me that this is a model we wouldn't have hoped for RTR just ten years past.

I think we will see a change from the current Hornby models of express passenger types and i will put my money on at least on 0-6-0 or 4-6-0 Freight type from the south and i also think a retooled 4F would be on the cards and am i wrong in thinking that it shares the same cab of the S&D 7F 2-8-0?

Archived