Idle Speculation and the Hornby Announcement

Caledonian

Indeed! The calendar with Horby Magazine is images from recent layouts featured in the nagazine, so the chances of this giving any hints as to Hornby's 2010 announcements is, um, zero. :blink:

According to my friemndly local modelshop, who is very well established and a full on Hornby agent, the 2010 line-up can be found carefully hidden in full view on the 2010 calander included in the december Hornby Magazine!

He was shocked when he saw it but apparently it has full colour pics straight from the 2010 range.

• RMweb Premium

:D Well for starters the Calendar is included with the January issue, not December!

Must've taken the layout owners some impressive degree of mind reading to include the right locos in the photos, presumably taken months ago.

:D Well for starters the Calendar is included with the January issue, not December!

Must've taken the layout owners some impressive degree of mind reading to include the right locos in the photos, presumably taken months ago.

I just copied and pasted it - Simon R's words, not mine!

And with respect, it's all abit of fun isn't it? ;)

• RMweb Gold

According to my friemndly local modelshop, who is very well established and a full on Hornby agent, the 2010 line-up can be found carefully hidden in full view on the 2010 calander included in the december Hornby Magazine!

He was shocked when he saw it but apparently it has full colour pics straight from the 2010 range.

Indeed! The calendar with Horby Magazine is images from recent layouts featured in the nagazine, so the chances of this giving any hints as to Hornby's 2010 announcements is, um, zero. :blink:

I guess it could be coincidence, as surely the callender would have been finalised long before the Hornby press day. that said, given that some (all?) Hornby retailers now have the 2010 lists, you'd expect that what the shop is saying is true.

Going to make for a very interesting announcement 'modern image' wise.................

• RMweb Premium

Just to be 100% clear here - the calendar included with the Hornby magazine is NOT the official Hornby 2010 calendar, like I said it's a calendar of very nice photos of very nice layouts that have featured in Hornby Magazine, taken ages ago I would imagine ( Chris Nevard probably knows the dates...).

Isn't the official Hornby calendar inculded with January BRM normally IIRC.?

• RMweb Gold

Isn't the official Hornby calendar inculded with January BRM normally IIRC.?

Yes, and indeed it does feature 'full colour pics straight from the 2010 range'. As always the BRM calendar only features old toolings in new liveries (that's if you don't count Skaledale and the Oxford Diescast items) From it all we can do is deduce a couple of things which Hornby will not be doing this year: they are not fixing the Gresleys, and they are not upgrading the 61XX.

NOTICE TO MODERATOR No.2 AND LA GRANGE - 'How many threads does this need?'

A little bit put out that my Hornby 2010 thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/5349-Hornby-2010/ was locked.

I do make a reasonble effort to ensure that I do not start a duplicate thread.

As I am working full time I do not have time to spend all day browsing through the whole site, therefore prioritise on the Products Section.

This thread is not under Products/Hornby Section http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/forum/6-Hornby/ therefore it is an unrealistic assumption that I should have known that it was already running.

Can I please suggest that this thread is transferred to the Products/Hornby section as that is where it should belong.

• RMweb Premium

Im sure I've never seen a prairie produced by Hornby although probably wrong but I am hoping we get a decent electric like a 90 and some decent mark 3 carriages

Presumably this is the ex Airfix Prairie that Hornby acquired, I think it's been available from Hornby at some point in the last few years.

I've got one for you lot.... It is released at 12GMT is it not.... it is killing all those on this side of that line that we have had to wait up to 12 hours into Christmas day before we get to know....(wheres the emoticons for a serious tongue in check!)

You could always take a flight to a convenient Pacific Island (just over the IDL), then you would get the news at mid-day on Christmas Eve. :D

The one time the US Pacific Time zone really works out for me is that I get to see Hornby's new range at 4:00pm on Christmas Eve! Being able to review the new range at noon on Christmas day seems relatively civilized to me.

NOTICE TO MODERATOR No.2 AND LA GRANGE - 'How many threads does this need?'

Jonathan, I honestly don't think it merited a separate thread.

This topic started as a generalised speculation and would not necessarily have been appropriate for the Hornby area, possibly it is now but it wouldn't have been at that time (otherwise it would never have been passed for the MM&M area).

I'm not sure what merit the above post has with 'notice' given in capitals and bold, the equivalent of shouting in internet terms.

All of us work full time too but find time to shove a broom up our backsides and try and keep the place as tidy as possible when time permits; apologies if we're not meeting your needs.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, and especially given I was the one who wrote it down wrong in the first place! :lol:

It's an age thing :lol:

Now for the good bit - is there actually something not yet announced but in the Hornby 2010 calendar - like a Pullman perhaps (I don't know but someone suggested it might be a new one)?

Now for the laugh - while out shopping today (for my Bachmann 3MT 2-6-2T) I happened across a Hornby rep and offered to 'look after' his briefcase while he was busy elsewhere in the shop. 'Not worth it' said he, 'we are getting our 2010 range briefing on Thursday so the earliest you might find the catalogue in there is Friday'.

btw the bad news is - in that particular retailer - that he had more 4 CEPs on advance order than he has 'Castles', but then he did seem to have lost my pre-order for 'Ince Castle' off his 'puter so I'm left wondering about that one.

in that particular retailer - that he had more 4 CEPs on advance order than he has 'Castles',

I've not yet placed my order for Tintagel Castle - until I know what livery it will appear in. All I've seen so far is "GWR Green"

At this point I'm wondering how many Castle liveries will be in the 2010 catalogue. There are the four from 2009 (including the Pete Waterman Earl Cairns) and these should be included since they have not been available in 2009, and naturally there would be at least three "new" liveries for 2010.

With all the Pullman cars they have I wonder if Hornby will produce the Brighton Belle (5BEL).

Seems to fit in with their Pullman strategy and the original is under restoration presently.

Possible. IIRC the Hornby Dublo/Wrenn Pullmans have morphed into the Pullmans we see in the Railroad range today, so presumably somewhere along the line Hornby will have acquired the rights to the old HD/Wrenn 5BEL design along with all the other Pullman coaches from that range, from there it is but a short step...

If they do I might have to sell my Wrenn one in order to finance the purchase of a new Hornby one. Any takers? But seriously on that note, I have taken my Wrenn one out to shows when we exhibit Nictun Borrud in its circular format, and we were gob-smacked when we discovered just how much it was worth for insurance purposes. If they do go down this route anytime soon there could be a glut of Wrenn/HD ones on the market - and a lot of annoyed collectors.

Elliott

• RMweb Premium

Hornby Prairie has been in production a number of years and has undergone some good updates during this period. It would be nice to see it upgraded to new tooling, but I would rather see a 2-8-0/2-8-2T produced to give us at least one GWR/BR heavy haulage loco, Of course a new 28XX would be most welcome too.

• RMweb Premium

Possible. IIRC the Hornby Dublo/Wrenn Pullmans have morphed into the Pullmans we see in the Railroad range today, so presumably somewhere along the line Hornby will have acquired the rights to the old HD/Wrenn 5BEL design along with all the other Pullman coaches from that range, from there it is but a short step...

Elliott

I'm pretty sure the Railroad Pullmans are the Hornby pre super detail ones i.e. much newer and dimensionally better than the old HD ones. Lord knows where the 5BEL tooling ended up, unless it went up in flames at Dapol?

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure the Railroad Pullmans are the Hornby pre super detail ones i.e. much newer and dimensionally better than the old HD ones. Lord knows where the 5BEL tooling ended up, unless it went up in flames at Dapol?

The Railroad Pullmans are indeed the mid-70s Hornby ones. As to the fate of the Dublo Pullmans and Wrenn 5-BEL it might be worth emailing the people who bought what was left after the Dapol fire: http://www.gandr-wrenn.co.uk/

ETA: It would appear that it was not the tools which were destroyed in the fire, but the records and remaining stock. The current company produced a single new ex-Dublo Pullman - 'Phoenix' - in 2001.

Are people really serious when they suggest resurrecting 30 and 40 year models for modern day production ? blink.gif

Surely any plans to revisit those subjects will involve all-new tooling to present day standards?

After all the relatively small target market expects much better quality and fidelity than we had several decades ago.

Archived