Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ray Mansfield Model Railways

Gordon Connell

I recently bought a Hornby Britannia from Ray's eBay site, which came damaged. I was keen to keep it as it was a rare one, but he basically shut up shop and wouldn't respond to emails or the Paypal dispute. 2 weeks later Paypal decided in my favour and I got a partial refund. It never ran well and I had to sell it for parts.

My advice - steer clear. The cost savings just aren't worth the hassle!

I recently bought a Hornby Britannia from Ray's eBay site, which came damaged. I was keen to keep it as it was a rare one, but he basically shut up shop and wouldn't respond to emails or the Paypal dispute. 2 weeks later Paypal decided in my favour and I got a partial refund. It never ran well and I had to sell it for parts.

My advice - steer clear. The cost savings just aren't worth the hassle!

I once ordered some Hornby CDA wagons from him. The price was good, but they took a while to arrive and a polite enquiry as to their whereabouts was met with a severe earbashing!

I have bought a few things off him on ebay, haven't had any probs with the stuff, delivery times varied.

Would buy off him again.

I've known of Ray Mansfield models for a long time, going back to my early 7mm days and although you can get some good bargains, if you have a problem he doesn't want to know.

Unless you see your purchase beforehand I would be very careful.

• RMweb Gold

Bought once off ebay.

Described loco as near mint, arrived with various bits hand painted.

Would not touch with a barge pole again.

What makes me laugh is that on a lot of his ebay auctions he says no returns, see photo for details.

And the photo is of the box with the loco inside, how can you judge what you are getting if you cannot see it, unless he does not want you to see.

Makes me think he has a brother called Rodney !

I bought a few items from him - he sent the wrong items, when replaced he sent only 50% of the items paid for, never answered e-mails after only sending out the 50% replacements, never sent a refund (unfortunately I paid by cheque then). The use of the words don't touch .... ... proverbial bargepole apply.

Have known this person for quite a long time,from way back in the Ongar days, in a word - DON'T.

Yes, he ran the Train Trading Post / Tracks at Sawbridgeworth with Pete Marshall. Never had a problem because in those days you could actually go to the TTP and see what you were (thinking of) buying.....

• 2 weeks later...

Avoid Ray Mansfield at all costs - from the times I have delt with him, his interpersonal skills are appalling, he does not know how to stick to agreed times scales, and if there is a chance of blaming anyone else for his own incompetance he will take it.

Checking his e-bay feedback can be an entertaining way to spend a lunch break.....

Yes, I've noticed his eBay feedback as well. If he feels like someone has given feedback that doesn't quite do justice to the magnificent quality of his retail services (!!!), he posts to have a pop about it!

Surprising really, given that all he ever posts is '100%'. No detail, that's all you get.

Oh so tempting to take the risk, but it really is worth just paying £10 extra and getting it from somewhere reputable.

What a great way to end an afternoon.

Buyer: Slow to arrive and quite blunt in emails unfortunately

Seller: WAS NOT SLOW HE CAN NOT READ STATES 10 WORKING DAYS THIS CAN=14 DAYS INC W/ENDS

Buyer:Took a while but superb item well worth the wait

Seller: IT TOOK NO LONGER THAN THE DELIVERY TIME STATED FOR THIS ITEM BUYERS SHOULD READ

Byer: OK DEAL

Seller:MIND HOW YOU GO DONT GO OVERBOARD OK DEAL

All capitals always help emphasise the point for great customer service.

A lot mentioning 'damaged in post' as well so I wonder whether they really are, or just insufficient packaging?

• 11 months later...

Thanks for all of this, I was recently looking at his website and a couple of locos interested me. I sent an email enquiring as to their availability and got nothing back........seems I'm not alone, no problem I'll take my custom elsewhere.

Wow, I'm glad I popped here and checked for reviews, I was thinking about buying something from there.

It seems he's opened up a new shop as well:-

http://www.raymansfieldmodelrailways.com/10440/info.php?p=1&pno=0

It would appear he now has a shop which is at the Maltings Sawbridgeworth, The same place, well same maltings, that 'Tracks ' used to be. Not been there yet, not sure i will, But if you dont live too far away it may be worth a visit,....or maybe not. Could be entertaining.

• RMweb Gold

Bought off him once, never again.

Loco had some naff hand painting on it which was strategically hidden in the ebay picture.

What makes me laugh is that he tries to hide/protect himself behind the statement "Bought as seen"

Sometimes his single picture is the loco in the box, how can you see it !

You can only really state "Bought as seen" if you take a picture of the item at every angle.

He has more than one ebay trading account I think too.

There is an account under another name, maybe wife at same location with same style pictures, same feedback attitude and same spelling mistakes.

Obviously trying to get away from all the negative feedback on his main ebay account..

I saw him once years ago at a swap meet/exhibition and he looked that miserable not many were daring to go to the stand, probably as well lol.

Don't be tempted by any cheap prices, its not worth it.

Have obtained some details of the shop at Sawbridgeworth. The address is....Allen House, The Maltings, Station Road, Sawbridgeworth, Herts CM21 9JX. The leaflet states opening hours of 10.00 - 5.00 Tuesday to Saturday....11.00 - 2.00 Sunday. Not sure he will be running the shop, it may be his son or relative. To be fair it may be good, the area desperately needs a model shop. and you can see before you buy....

I bought off Ray twice off ebay, no problems either time, quickly dispatched and all arrived safe and sound, I know his ebay feedback is something to be disired, but i have no complaints from my 2 x dealings.

He did use other aliases on ebay, "laura mansfield" now no longer a registered user and I think something like "ray -and some numbers- in harlow", but I see he is back on "raysgreatdeals".

As Cilla Black's "Graham" says "the decision is yours !!!

Archived