Palbrick wagons from K's kits.

I have had three Keyser kits for the BR Palbrick wagon sitting in the 'to do' drawer for far too long. The arrival of some suitable CCT transfers spurred the building effort. Very crisp whitemetal castings requiring a minimum of cleaning up, they went together very well with superglue.

A lovely winter day here in Perth saw them sprayed up, and the Cambridge transfers applied. A quick sealing coat of 'pledge', and three ex-works wagons ready to go, ( just awaiting couplings).

Unlikely to be made r-t-r in the near future!

post-294-0-28523200-1440487569_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-93163800-1440487610_thumb.jpg

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 17

It might be an idea to fix some pieces of old vacuum pipe (or at least guitar strings) inside each door panel. The prototype usually seemed to have two or three at a 45-degree angle on each panel to reduce damage to both bricks and panels in transit. It seemed to be common, from the photos I've seen for the wagons to run empty with panels reversed, and dunnage on the outside.

It might be an idea to fix some pieces of old vacuum pipe (or at least guitar strings) inside each door panel. The prototype usually seemed to have two or three at a 45-degree angle on each panel to reduce damage to both bricks and panels in transit. It seemed to be common, from the photos I've seen for the wagons to run empty with panels reversed, and dunnage on the outside.

Or then again... I have a small project to construct a rake of Palbricks, but have only got as far as the chassis at the mo'. From my research (conducted with the aid of the Yahoo BR wagons group), it seems that the hoses were only applied to Palbrick Cs, which had 8 shoe brakes and a rather narrow body. This is certainly born out by all the pictures I've looked at.

Adam 

Genesis used to, but it's no longer available and was quite hard work to put together.

palwag.jpg

Interesting that both they and K's chose the prototype with the short ends, which was very rare and only built, I believe, in penny numbers. Was that the only one for which a drawing was easily available?

Edited by jwealleans

Does anyone else make a Palbrick kit?

Nice models aren't they.

Crownline did at one years ago. Body good, chassis (on the one I saw at least) was from a Coopercraft Cattle van and thus totally wrong. I have a notion that Genesis Kits might have done one [EDIT - see above] once too. There's a good drawing of a Palbrick B in Bartlett et als' wagon book.

Bill Bedford certainly has had one as 'pending', and indeed still does. I darsay it might be quite good when it appears. http://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/wagons/br_wagons4.html

The 2mm Association does a kit for a Palbrick B/C as a twin pack: http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/info/?prodnum=2-564

Adam

Edited by Adam

Interesting that both they and K's chose the prototype with the short ends, which was very rare and only built, I believe, in penny numbers. Was that the only one for which a drawing was easily available?

Please amplify what you mean by short ends. The K's has full height ends as all of the production wagons. Yes, the Genesis kit made into the rarer early conversions.

The Ks kit has the end with the screws solid, whereas they only had planks where the screws were, and they also had an internal U shaped channel to push the pallets together http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/palbrick/e38214b1c The Ks kit can be modified by cutting away the surplus planks, I know I did it 25 or more years ago.

C's which had the rubber hose inners on some dedicated to one traffic flow had 6 screws (not 4) IIRC.

Paul Bartlett

• 2 years later...

These are now available from ian@nmacdonald.co.uk as etched nickel-silver kits. Just bought two after seeing article in this months Hornby Magazine.