• RMweb Gold

Hi all

I need some cows to put in my layout's http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1131-wenlocks-blog/ cattle dock.  I picked up these rather nice castings from Duncan models at a show recently.  Now I've assembled them and put them next to some figures they look a bit on the large size to me.  They are supposed to be 7mm scale and are 35mm tall to the shoulder and 60mm from nose to tail.  Scaled up this works out as a cow that's 5 foot to the shoulder tall and about 8 foot 6 inches from nose to tail.

A search on the web provides lots of information about cows weight, but nothing much on the size of prototype cattle!

Here are a couple of pics of the beasts in question!

post-5869-0-15410200-1444640817_thumb.jpg

post-5869-0-68920900-1444640833_thumb.jpg

I'd appreciate any advice regarding the size of these animals, before I spend time painting them.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

Firstly, I would say that it depends on the breed you are trying to represent.

Secondly, I certainly don't remember bending down to pat a cow!

So it looks to me (next to your figures) that they are about right, but are you

going to place them next to people, or on their own in a field?

Those look spot on....there are some in the field next to the house I'm in and they wander towards me when I emerge, so I had a look.

Painting.......the "weathering" around the rear and under the tails is very noticeable.

Firstly, I would say that it depends on the breed you are trying to represent.

Secondly, I certainly don't remember bending down to pat a cow!

So it looks to me (next to your figures) they are about right.

Agree.

If Highland cattle, they are probably a bit tall (or your men are short!). If Jerseys, they are too buxom (Jerseys have a rather emaciated look)

OOps … edited to add 'otherwise seem OK to me'.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys, some "interesting" responses there! :)   Father Dougal always makes me smile!  The models are supposed to represent  British Shorthorn cattle, as my layout is set circa 1905, whether cows were bigger or smaller 110 years ago is also  something I know nothing about!

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys, some "interesting" responses there! :)   Father Dougal always makes me smile!  The models are supposed to represent  British Shorthorn cattle, as my layout is set circa 1905, whether cows were bigger or smaller 110 years ago is also  something I know nothing about!

Dave

Are they cows or bulls Dave?

• RMweb Gold

Are they cows or bulls Dave?

Hi Mike, they have fairly impressive udders so we are definitely talking cows. I guess if they do turn out to be too big, with a little judicious surgery I could turn them into bulls!

Had you thought of checking the breed society webpages (there's a website for more or less everything out there)?

http://www.shorthorn.co.uk/dairyshorthorn/

On average, I believe that cattle - especially some breeds of beef cattle were a bit smaller but I reckon those castings are about right, though I wonder about having them as fixtures in a cattle dock. My reckoning is that they would be unlikely to hang around in one for all that long. Better off in a field perhaps?

Adam

Like Adam it tooks me a couple of Googles to answer this, for Shorthorns and many other breeds. The models may be a bit tall for shorthorn, but there were plenty of very large ox in the past, the walls of the halls of residence at Rothamsted Experimental station were lined with paintings of huge animals from the 18 and 19C.

I am not an animal biologist but I suspect it is unlikely that a cow in milk would be transhipped on the railways, except if it was a full farm move. They would have been dried off. I don't think there would have been any problem in full grown older animals being sent, there were not the age limits on slaughter for human consumption that we have had in recent years because of BSE.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Had you thought of checking the breed society webpages (there's a website for more or less everything out there)?

http://www.shorthorn.co.uk/dairyshorthorn/

On average, I believe that cattle - especially some breeds of beef cattle were a bit smaller but I reckon those castings are about right, though I wonder about having them as fixtures in a cattle dock. My reckoning is that they would be unlikely to hang around in one for all that long. Better off in a field perhaps?

Adam

Hi Adam, yes I had a trawl through the net and found loads of information.  I now know their average weight, milk yield, colouring and temperament, but still don't know exactly how tall or long they are! 

I suppose I could put them in a field, but I still quite like the idea of putting them in the cattle dock and using the excuse that everyday is market day in Sherton Abbas :-)

What a great thread and good answers.  We currenlty have cows outside - they usually arrive around midmornng to snack on the shrubs around our boundary!

Two pictures I took this morning - these are just around one year old so still have some growing to do.

21926127278_49e91fc6b6_c.jpg

21927105689_6380430f53_c.jpg

Two observations - modern cows wear yellow ear tags and look to have been de-horned.

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Gold

What a great thread and good answers.  We currenlty have cows outside - they usually arrive around midmornng to snack on the shrubs around our boundary! Two pictures I took this morning - these are just around one year old so still have some growing to do.21926127278_49e91fc6b6_c.jpg21927105689_6380430f53_c.jpg    Two observations - modern cows wear yellow ear tags and look to have been de-horned. Regards Ray

That's a truly splendid view you have from your house Ray, those hills look delightful!

Next time the cows pop round for a mid morning munch on your shrubbery, I'd be thrilled if you could pop out and sneak behind one with a tape measure! :-)

Best wishes

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I (or my camera?) seem to have a certain fascination for cows. And horses, but that's another thread! 

Most fully grown specimens I've come across vary from about four to six feet tall, with Friesians and Holsteins being two of the larger breeds - some of them can look me in the eye - and Jerseys & Dexters two of the smaller breeds I'm familiar with. 

These three photos are from Corfe Castle, a mixture of cows & heifers, with a train thrown in for perspective & scale... 

post-16840-0-77902200-1444680367_thumb.jpg

From memory, the [very inquisitive] youngster standing was about 3'6" tall across its back, maybe 4' when it held its head up. The adults I think were about five feet - at one point I thought I wasn't going to get any frames of the Swanage trains as the cows were angling for a taste of my sandwiches & were between me & the line. 

post-16840-0-26062500-1444680373_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-15483600-1444680375_thumb.jpg

And two youngsters (back to bullocks!) - I think those fence posts are about 3'6" high. 

post-16840-0-09250200-1444680405_thumb.jpg

Horns, from what I've been told, mostly disappeared in the 40s & 50s, but are having something of a comeback in the last 20 years. They are a good place to grab an animal but can be a devastating weapon if the animal is disturbed, intent on mischief or a bully to its fellows. If you model a bull in one of the larger scales, don't forget a nosering. 

Archived