Mystery Photo's Southern region 1970's & other Rails in England

I've been scanning a collection of Kodachrome 35mm slides and this caught my eye.  Alas, I've no idea where this is or if it still exists like this today somewhere in Southern England at a guess.

I'm sure the wealth of knowledge on here will recognise it instantly and put my lack of geography to shame.

The track layout looks like a Pway section managers nightmare with multiple diamond crossovers but just look at that diverging through line leading into the sidings and the section signals so close to the junction without catch points.  A veritable nightmare LOL

As for the telegraph Poles with their lateral supports and bracing bars not seen that modeled too often. Prone to strong prevailing westerly winds perhaps?

PS: I've got more.. a lot more, this isn't finished by a long shot  :)  TIA

British%20Rail%20Sidings%20Junction%20En

(Ely)

I expect there will be quite a few of us looking forward to the challenge of trying to put a location to the picture.

If you are going to add multiple pictures in a post it wouild be helpful if you could number them as it will help identification.

In that last batch the first photo with the Hymek in the foreground is probably taken from a train passing Swindon Works

the sidings are curving round to the north alongside the route to Gloucester.

cheers

• RMweb Premium

First post : definitely Ely.

Second post : 1 = Swindon works;

2 and 3 are on the same train with 2 = as it approaches Blatchbridge Junction (splitting home signal in front of the bridge set for the route via Frome suggesting this is taken on a Weymouth - Bristol DMU) and 3 = on the section between Clink Road and Fairwood Junctions with the Westbury white horse up on the distant hillside for a point of reference.

4 = I believe may be on the approaches to Manchester Piccadilly from Stockport somewhere around Ardwick Junction

5 = currently has me foxed though theat gantry will be recognised by someone.

• RMweb Gold

Is no. 4 somewhere between Birmingham and Wolverhampton?

As Merv says dropping down Ditton bank between Runcorn and Ditton - BOC sign visible on the left so I'm pretty sure.

Edit to replace "I think" with "pretty sure"

• RMweb Gold

The track layout looks like a Pway section managers nightmare with multiple diamond crossovers but just look at that diverging through line leading into the sidings and the section signals so close to the junction without catch points.  A veritable nightmare LOL

]

The double slips provide the trapping.

Edit

Diagram for Ely Dock Junction

https://flic.kr/p/bXcpuu

• RMweb Gold

Top 1 is Swindon works, east end, in the vee of the junction towards the Gloucester line.

No.2 is Approximately the site of Fairwood water troughs approaching Fairwood Jcn (the signalbox visible in the distance to the left of the line) with the Up Home Signal off for the Up Main Line towards Westbury.

No.2 Is a bit more difficult but I'm fairly sure that it is the accommodation overbridge east of Fairwood Road between Fairwood Jcn and Westbury South - that is the only overbridge in the area which would give that view of the White Horse from the front end of an Up train.  The line curvature beyond the bridge is only right for that one while the signal position on the Down Line immediately beyond the bridge fits for only that one (Westbury South's Down Main Starting Signal) or for Berkeley Lane overbridge east of Clink Road Jcn (Clink Road's Down Home Sgnal) but the direction of the line at the latter would not have Westbury White Horse in that position (and you couldn't see it anyway because of the cutting).

(No.2 is definitely not Blatchbridge Jcn - the bridge is wrong [the B3092 overbridge at Blatchbridge is metal, not stone] and in the wrong place in relation to the signalbox while assuming the picture dates from roughly the same date as the top one the splitting signal had been a colour light for some years.)

Thanks for all the replies they've been a great help putting locations to the photo's. Had a look on Google Earth to see what the locations look like today.

As promised here's a couple more for your perusal and thoughts. Cheers

British-Rail-Southern-Engla.jpg

taken in 1971 CL0001 (Eastbourne)

British-Rail-passing-Type-4.jpg

Type4 on passenger service at unknown location running on OHLE equipped line 1971 CL0002

BR%20BrushType%204%201662%20IKB%201Z81.j

Brush Type 4 Isambard Kingdom Brunel D1662 working 1Z81 Special 1972 CL0003 (Newton Abbot)

Class-47-IKBrunel-D1662-197.jpg

Closer view with UID locos in background 1972 CL0004 (Newton Abbot)

CL0001 might be Eastbourne? The photographer appears to be in a 4-Cor, then on their uppers after 33 years.

Thanks Duuders Just been on GE in glorious 3D and your quite correct it's Eastbourne and the ironic bit regarding the units being on their uppers that road bridge in the foreground the unit is about to go under is Upper Avenue! 

CL002 looks to be just north of Winwick Jct - taken from the WCML of a NB service heading to Earlestown. With a BCK it is probably not a North Wales to TP North service but in 1971 who knows what stock they used.

Picture 3 is difficult, because I can't think of places where Peaks ran 'under the wires' in a rural setting.

Good call jonny777, I'm now thinking somewhere on the WCML and the Peak is a diverted service during engineering works.

Bearing in mind BR had a lot more traction at their disposal with Drivers passed on larger fleets of traction and greater route knowledge than the fractured railways companies of today.

I'll consider all possibilities. 

CL002 looks to be just north of Winwick Jct - taken from the WCML of a NB service heading to Earlestown. With a BCK it is probably not a North Wales to TP North service but in 1971 who knows what stock they used.

I'm with you on that, I was in the middle of replying to jonny777 and just missed your post.  

CL0002 is Colwich, that is Meadow Lane going under the Stoke line and the Peak is on its way to Stafford.

In which case it has acquired two sets of power lines and lost a canal. Also the catenary looks to be more early 70's Mk3 than early 60's

• RMweb Gold

Was Winwick wired in 1971 ?

Looking at the photo enlarged there appears to be a road under bridge just in front of the peak which would rule out Winwick - http://binged.it/1MwYviR

The railings on the near bridge show the bridge to be railed for longer than the current bridge  - http://binged.it/1MwYnQv

http://www.traintesting.com/Highspeed_pan.htm - look for Prometheus, 7th photo down.

From photos Winwick was clear of wires in 1970

Archived