Jamieson (Eames) Loco Kits and various brass coach building & restoration projects.

Guest Lyonesse

I was watching the large tank engine on ebay; didn't bid though.  All three locos are very well proportioned.  I look forward to further progress.

• RMweb Gold

I was watching the large tank engine on ebay; didn't bid though.  All three locos are very well proportioned.  I look forward to further progress.

Thanks, yes they are really quite good kits for their time. It always helps to have accurately cut parts to start with. 

Glad that you didn't! It's a delight and the bid was just 0.11p above the next and I was away at the time so I consider myself rather lucky!

Edited by Re6/6

The V2 in particular is a very good basic outline. I bought one in which the boiler and firebox assembly had been assembled very cleanly, so much so I handed it to Graeme King to see if he might want to use it as a master for his then developing resin V2 body. It was certainly an improvement on the clumsy Bachmann moulding.

• Like 2

John

That's an awful lot of work on the top engine. I bought an LMS 2P from the same stable with pretensions of building it, it wasn't until I started looking at adding rivet detail (and on the sides of the tanks there's lots) that it went straight to the back of the 'one day' queue.

I really wish you luck with that, it will be an exercise in patience for sure.

regards

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Drawings conundrum.

I recently acquired this Jamieson item. It has been very nicely built and painted. It will look even better by replacing the 'old school' chassis with a nice Comet (or Bradwell?) one and Ultrascales.

post-6728-0-70291900-1467712196_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-09729400-1467712229_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-68950500-1467712417_thumb.jpg

I have a puzzle inasmuch as 'one that I built (a lot) earlier' is 2mm or so shorter. It was built to the notorious 'Roche' drawings (some correct, others not!) which Jamieson must have used, but this one is about 2mm longer and matches the 'Beattie' drawing which, as far as I know, wasn't around in Jamieson/Eames time.

Roche.

post-6728-0-37360400-1467712436_thumb.jpg

Beattie.

post-6728-0-29882100-1467712528_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-27971200-1467712541_thumb.jpg

I guess that the 'Isinglass' drawings (which I don't have!) would be correct, anyway the two lengths from the same firm is a bit of a puzzle!

• Like 2

This is interesting as I obtained a built B1 body from Ray Rogers many years ago and whilst it appeared to be a Jamieson was clearly longer than the unbuilt kit one I had at the time. It would also appear that LNER 4200gal tenders were revised over the years as the one supplied with the V2 was too short whilst latter ones appear to be the right length.

• RMweb Gold

Why not line them up alongside the Hornby B1?

I wish that I had one to compare!

This is interesting as I obtained a built B1 body from Ray Rogers many years ago and whilst it appeared to be a Jamieson was clearly longer than the unbuilt kit one I had at the time. It would also appear that LNER 4200gal tenders were revised over the years as the one supplied with the V2 was too short whilst latter ones appear to be the right length.

Now that is very interesting if even more confusing! Thanks though.

My late father built many Jamieson kits. He just had that know how to make some absolute gems. He built a whole fleet of black V for a good friend of mine. Here a couple of images. The B1 built for the same friend awaiting painting. Look a bit sorry is a King, awaiting a strip down and repaint and finally one of the rarer castles (one of two running on my line). Rarer still, on my shelf, is a GWR DeGlehn compound. There is also a Hall, Lord Nelson, Schools, Industrial, pannier tank,2-6-4 tank, V2 and streamline Coronation amongst the collection he built.

post-9992-0-34516100-1467745336_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-76661300-1467745364_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-78681400-1467745365_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

My late father built many Jamieson kits. ....

Although they're very much 'old school' with some effort they do make into nice models. None of the nice 'slot and tab' parts of today just butt jointed seams where three hands come in handy!

I have this liking of nickel and brass locos!

Thanks for posting pictures your late father's engines. They have a 'certain something' about them.

I have one of the LMS 4-6-0 kits. Well most of it actually. Some castings etc were robbed for other models. However all the basic "cut" pieces should be there. I will never build it or do anything with it so if someone wants to give it a good home, they are welcome to it.

Kim

• RMweb Gold

That's a kind offer Kim. I would take it up but alas I know it would still be around after I've 'kicked the bucket'!

The list to build is,.... well,.... lengthy... 25% completion would be realistic for me!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Although not 'Jamieson' this is one of my treasured possessions bought from the late SW 'Steve' Stevens-Stratten, editor of the much missed Model Railway Constructor.

I was invited to his office in 'Terminal House' (the then Ian Allan HQ in Shepperton) in the late 60s and he showed me two engines that he was disposing of on behalf of a friend's estate that nobody seemed to want. One was a brass scratchbuilt Manor with the chassis falling off and this gem which was painted in Caledonian blue with Devon and Cornwall Railways motif. The chassis was believed to be a modified HD one with Romfords. The livery probably put people off seeing as it was Stanier 3-cylinder loco (ex LT&SR line). Anyway the princely sum of £10 was handed over later for the two. No mean sum to an impecunious young oik at that time! It must have been the beauty of the pair and the opportunity to acquire scale hand built models when my best engine was a re-wheeled 3-rail Hornby Dublo Castle.

ln later years l've shown it to a couple of 'elder statesmen' of our hobby and the opinion was that it was either scratchbuilt or it could be from 'Hamblings' who apparently did produce some brass 'Jamieson style' kits, or scratch aids as we would call such things now.

Anyway it does have the makings which should look rather nice after a Comet chassis kit is built to put under it. It's in the drawer where it's been for a few years now ready and waiting with those lovely Ultrascales!

As an aside does anybody know which areas/regions that they were sent to after the LT&SR line was electrified?

post-6728-0-09066700-1477917534_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-40056900-1477917552_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-75893800-1477917562_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Whilst never being in any of the Jamieson lists I have seen, I am led to believe you had the Hamblings/Eames plus at least one other company producing kits which were very similar to Jamieson, from the little I know Jamieson were made from N/S sheet, I have seen other makes use brass.. The steps are not Jamieson style, also neither are (from what I can see) the chimney and top feed.

The great thing about these kits is that you could add additional detailing like boiler bands, beading, lamp irons, wash out plugs etc and change/add commercially made parts. Nothing wrong being a kit as the builder seems to have added extra detailing. Though without looking underneath (and this may not be conclusive) it could equally be scratch built. Which ever it is there is no detracting from being a lovely model, fitting a Comet chassis would enhance it and be a fitting tribute to the builder

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John.  lt does have the Jamieson style square (around 1mm) under the tanks and the forward 'running plate' but it does look a bit smaller in section than Jamieson so more puzzlement....!

post-6728-0-19544500-1477922892.jpg

post-6728-0-80867600-1477922915.jpg

Edited by Re6/6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Being an obsessive for brass and nickel-silver restoration, rebuilding projects and kit building l've added coaches to the thread.

First up is this wreck which is a Pendon Partkit GWR 70ft all 3rd Concertina (Diag C27). These came as just etched sides and ends with cast whitemetal doors. All the rest had to be sourced separately.

lt is just a shell and in a poor state having suffered neglect and had been thickly hand painted.

post-6728-0-49413800-1481055218.jpg

post-6728-0-95875400-1481057116.jpg

post-6728-0-06884400-1481055453.jpg

...so out with the Nitromors.....!

post-6728-0-60825300-1481055604_thumb.jpg

This is what is hoped for!

post-6728-0-52456600-1481056577.jpg

• Like 3

Being an obsessive for brass and nickel-silver restoration, rebuilding projects and kit building l've added coaches to the thread.

First up is this wreck which is a Pendon Partkit GWR 70ft all 3rd Concertina (Diag C27). These came as just etched sides and ends with cast whitemetal doors. All the rest had to be sourced separately.

lt is just a shell and in a poor state having suffered neglect and had been thickly hand painted.

attachicon.gif001a.jpg

attachicon.gif004a.jpg

attachicon.gif010a.jpg

attachicon.gif011.JPG

attachicon.gifConcertina.1a.jpg

Good luck with that.

attachicon.gif001a.jpg

attachicon.gif004a.jpg

attachicon.gif010a.jpg

attachicon.gif011.JPG

attachicon.gifConcertina.1a.jpg

I remember Pendon bringing these out, always wanted one as the concertina coaches are very distinctive, pity they ceased production. perhaps one for the 3D print boys