HGK class 77 (Mehano H0) vs UK class 66 (real)

• RMweb Premium

I have a Mehano model of the HGK class 77 loco (photos below), and I wonder if there are any external differences between this and the batch of 250 class 66 locomotives supplied to EWS?

I know Mehano did a batch of these in EWS livery some years ago but I've been searching for too long and decided to buy this one (brand new) and accept a repaint one day ... or indeed accept it as it is. It's a nice-looking model and I get the feeling the red colour is close to that of the DB Schenker machines.

This is Mehano model number 58589.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-74723900-1464882678_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-56249600-1464882698_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-69384100-1464882716_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep that's the later low emissions variant that Freightliner and most others got but not DBS. Their EWS liveried one, which had the correct lights and doors according to photos I've seen, was a bit too dark on the red and the yellow was too bright so it looked a bit odd to my eyes.

As far as I know the horn housing above the front window would need cutting back too as it protrudes a little too far for a UK variant but it's not a major problem as is.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

I think the buffers are different too. Also I can find photos of locos with rear view mirrors, but so far only UK DBS ones.

I've never found a Mehano EWS model to look at, but in this photograph (British H0 society) the lamp clusters look like the same moulding, with some black paint around them. This would make sense to me, thinking about the primary "mainland" market Mehano would be wanting to serve.

I didn't photograph the ends very well before so here is one more photo. Thanks for the replies.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-76756600-1464902376_thumb.jpg

Edited for photo colour balance.

Edited by 47137

• RMweb Gold

Ok it looks like the lights are a halfway house between the two from that shot, I've never studied the models end closely ;) They are a tiny bit big for the EWS version but not quite big enough or Offset right for the later version. Like you said it's very close though. The only definitive spotting feature that's obvious is the extra door in the low emission variant. It would be fine in Freightliner or DRS livery ;)

• RMweb Premium

The lights are a continental version,gb had some like it

66750 & 66751 still have the "Euro" lights and rectangular buffers. Although they are the earlier 4-door non-low-emission variant. The other ex-Euro 66s that GB acquired that are 5-door low emission (66747-749) had their light clusters modified to the UK variant.

(Noted from a few quick photo references)

A few notes on the 66 thread and a few postings below it.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

I'm very happy - I bought the model on the strength of it not having the roof-mounter air conditioner, and because HGK were the second customer after EWS and I hoped the detail differences would not be too great - and they aren't.

The former Dutch locomotives operated by GBRf seem like a good match. I've found a photo of 66748 running in plain grey livery (about half way down this page), before the application of the main bodyside lettering. I think they look good in grey.

- Richard.

I assume you are modelling British HO? Because the HO model is waaaay smaller than the 4mm version and would look odd on a 4mm layout.

I have a Mehano one on my German layout in DLC grey and it is a superb model.

steve

• RMweb Premium

I assume you are modelling British HO? Because the HO model is waaaay smaller than the 4mm version and would look odd on a 4mm layout.

I think the best answer to this is "hopefully". I rediscovered the scale last Autumn.

I am setting up the clearances at bridges and station platforms on my layout ("Shelf Island") to accept 00 models as well "just in case", but I now possess more British H0 rolling stock than 00 so I really should be more optimistic. I want a mainline locomotive for air-braked trains (there is the Fleischmann Warship for older stock) and the HGK said "buy me" :-)

- Richard.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

That's a fine job on the repaint.

steve

All of the credit for the repaint goes to Andi. I will own up to highlighting the edges of the cab steps in yellow and adding a little paint to the faces of the wheels, but that is all. I'm sure I'll use Andi again.

Richard.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Lima made a OO gauge HGK class 66, via DOM Models.

Its quite hard to find.

I've found one on eBay ... I guess this is a happy coincidence

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-class-66-HGK-DOM-DE62-Models-limited-edition-1901/372476259201?hash=item56b950ab81:g:sgcAAOSwElxby2MX:rk:3:pf:0

I would have never imagined a market for this in 1:76 scale in Germany.

Incidentally, "66747" is still going strong, now fitted with an ESU LokPilot decoder.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Like 1

Hi Richard,

Glad to hear that your 66747 is working well! I have three of the Mehano 66's and they are all excellent runners and one sounds good too.

I can only imagine that the DOM (Lima) HGK 66 was produced before any of the other H0 scale class 66 models came along - it must have stuck out like a sore thumb in European modellers collections! Kind of like the Bachmann NS (Dutch) liveried Austerity, I guess.

Good luck to that guy trying to sell his 1/76 version - maybe a British 00 gauge modeller might fancy an overseas model!?