Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

patront saint of railways?

• RMweb Premium

Beat me to it... 

And further edit:

Searching further, I've found:

"It may be a little bit of a stretch, but you might consider St. Philip.  Historically, the Church used to invoke his name in the blessing of all sorts of vehicles, since he was associated with the conversion of a certain Ethiopian eunuch, who gave Philip a ride in the chariot he was driving.  Since standard gauge is associated with the distance between wheels of the Roman chariot (I may be wrong on this) it would seem that there is a least a somewhat loose connection between Philip, chariots, and standard gauge track! "

and more sensibly perhaps?

http://www.photorails.eu/blog/2010/01/18/st-amaro-the-patron-saint-of-railway-workers-macinhata-do-vouga-railway-museum-jose-manuel-antunes/comment-page-1/

St Isambard!

St George (Jackson Churchward)

The two of you chose my suggestions - unless there is some suitably obscure Cornish saint. They seem to have quite a few down there.

In the spirit of 34C's clever suggestion Google found me this where

How about St Emeric? As he was St Stephen's son.

(All credit to Trog whomever he or she may be.)

Well, the Patron Saint of Model Railways (and Railtrack) would be ;

The Apostle Saint Jude Thaddeus is "The Miraculous Saint," the Patron Saint of "lost causes" and "cases despaired of".  

When all other avenues are closed, he is the one to call upon, and his help often comes at the last moment.

What about St Pancres, or St Rollox?

Well, the Patron Saint of Model Railways (and Railtrack) would be ;

The Apostle Saint Jude Thaddeus is "The Miraculous Saint," the Patron Saint of "lost causes" and "cases despaired of".

When all other avenues are closed, he is the one to call upon, and his help often comes at the last moment.

I'm not sure about St Christopher after he was removed from the General Calendar in 1969 and a quick rootle through the various indices of patron saints/patronal festivals doesn't indicate anybody specific.  The Machinata do Vouga Museum have an exhibit suggesting that St Amaro is the patron saint of rail workers although without spending hours in a library researching it, and certainly the tradition of him being a patron saint of travellers (and there are several) would support this. 

Joseph is the patron saint of engineers so he's got that side of things sussed (engineer as in tools not engineer as US term for Driver), now for the operating side I would suggest that you could look to Eligius who is the patron saint of farriers but when you look at it he was a metal worker before doing the religious thing.  He is also patron saint of coachmen which is where we get the term "Guard" so this is quite a logical step when you think about it.

I had this discussion on Twitter with the Reverend Richard Coles (although specifically for railway staff). The closest we could find was St Eligius, patron saint of metalworkers and also of horses and those that work with them. The train, of course, was referred to in its early days as 'the iron horse'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Eligius

• RMweb Gold

For the DEMUs on the South Eastern and Central Divisions of Southern Region, the patron saint was undoubtedly St Leonard, where miracles were daily perfomed at his West Marina church in keeping the blooming things running.

Archived