Selling hand built 00 pointwork - any ideas?

gordon s

Over the last few years I have built over a 150 copper clad points, slips, crossings etc.  Every one of them has been built to suit a Templot plan to provide pointwork that flows in curves rather than the set configurations of Peco or other manufacturers.

Here's the conundrum.  I now have to build another 70 odd copper clad turnouts and the cost of C & L copper strips has basically trebled.  I've looked at SMP and they are OK, but I would prefer to stay with the C & L product, so am looking to raise some funds to finance purchasing new copper strip.

So the choices are just to bin them as they won't fit the new plan or sell them for a good price when compared to RTR prices.  A good price means lower than RTR prices, not with a premium....

On the face of it a simple issue, but ET has two basic rules that make life difficult.  The minimum radius on any turnout is 36" and most are much longer that normal RTR pointwork.  Generally they are C10 crossings and a typical radius will be anywhere between 48" and 60".  The other rule is that I try to avoid straight track where possible, so every item may have a curve on the main line, although many of them will be 30' radius plus and barely discernible.

All have been built in 00 bullhead rail and most of them have been built to 00-SF standards.  They are totally compatible with all modern RTR stock and have 1mm flangeways, so look as good as any similar product on the market.

Here is a photo set showing how I build my turnouts, so you can judge for yourself the build quality.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3422-eastwood-town-a-fresh-start/?p=677537

I am also fanatical about smooth running so made this short video to show my turnouts with Bachmann Mk 1 coaches.

The problem I have is not really knowing how to sell them as they are not set formations like RTR track, but could form the basis of a new layout design  or for a club who are interested in building several layouts.

I'm open to any ideas you may have in terms of how to sell them.  It seems such a waste to bin something that may bring enjoyment to others.

Any ideas?

• RMweb Gold

One idea I have is to upload the template designs to a site where people can download them to see if they fit into a layout, it might also be an idea to produce full-size prints as PDF files so that people can print them out and place them on baseboards.

Sadly that's not possible as I really have no idea which version of ET they came from or what part of the layout.  They've been at least five layout builds and each has had anywhere between 20-50 turnouts built.  Trying to identify the original Templot file would be impossible.

The nearest option would be to photo copy or scan the original full size.  That may have some mileage, although most are larger than an A4 print.

• RMweb Gold

Having sold quite a bit of stuff (P4&OO) over the last year or 2 there doesn't seem to be a surefire way of selling that works for everything. In the case of what you have Gordon I'd be tempted to lay the pointwork down on some white paper with a Rule, I'd show the overall length & width and possibly the trackcentres. For price your guess is as good as anyones, If auction I'd be tempted to start at a reasonable value and see what happens. I would list them all at the same time as if you get some interest then if one set doesn't fit then another might and a possible purchaser could well buy several items.

• RMweb Premium

Point builders advertise on Ebay. Not sure that prebuilt point work would achieve the prices they want but it would be worth following the route suggested by Chris p.above.

Baz

Morning Gordon, Have you considered Un-Soldering them to re use the PCB and most of the Rail? George T of this Parish has done that a few times and it has worked for him.

OR

And here's a RADICAL THOUGHT, re designing the New plan to utilise some of the existing Points?

Gordon

I would put up a post in your ET thread as you have done here stating you have turnouts for sale,

To start off with can any be reused on your new layout

Next I would start selling the smaller ones, by having a list in the buy and sell area on here and have a link from your thread

I would get a large piece of white or light coloured card marked off with a simple 3" grid, check the crossing angle (simple card template) give the length of the turnout and a rough idea of the radii (perhaps make a simple chart with differing radii which you could place the turnout on to get an Idea), Initially its a bit of work

Why not buy Andy Y a pint or two and have next years RMweb challenge as a diorama using one of your turnout(s). 

Thanks for your replies guys.  A few questions from the floor.... :biggrin_mini2:

Morning Gordon, Have you considered Un-Soldering them to re use the PCB and most of the Rail? George T of this Parish has done that a few times and it has worked for him.

OR

And here's a RADICAL THOUGHT, re designing the New plan to utilise some of the existing Points?

Thanks Andy.  Really not an option for several reasons.  Templot is a method of generating free flowing trackwork, so turnouts are designed to fit into a curve or straight piece of track rather than the traditional method of having pre formed curves or straight pieces of track and adding a turnout.  All of these turnouts have been built that way and the chances of finding one that exactly matches the new design are one in a million.

Designing a new layout and being able to recall a template from an earlier design could be done, but the problem is that I have no idea of the template number attached to each and every turnout that I have built, so that would prove nigh impossible and in any case there would always have to be a compromise somewhere down the line and compromise on running quality is not something I would accept.

Stripping them down could be done, but the time spent would equal the time to build a new one in the first place and no matter how good you are, there is a lot of time and effort cleaning off paintwork and solder blobs, so really not worth the effort involved.  I would always feel the quality of the turnout had been compromised anyway, so my own brain wouldn't deal with that.

Gordon, just as an aside what thickness are the copper clad sleepers ?

Pete

1.06mm to match with SMP plain track.

Hello Gordon,

Is it not practical to recycle the copperclad timbers and rail to build some of your replacements? Heat a few up on a metal tray in the oven to dismantle them? An old hotplate or toaster oven maybe?

trustytrev. :)

Again not really practical as they all have insulation slots and have been cut to specific sleeper lengths to suit the turnout.  The chances of finding the right sleeper length with the insulation cut in the right place are few and far between.

That bloke who keeps rebuilding Eastwood Town is after a few....

Thanks Phil.  Good job I've shared a pint or two with you.....

OK.  For a variety of reasons, rework is something I'm not prepared to consider.  I think you've given me several ideas and I've already had several PM's from interested parties.  I'm happy to stand by the quality of these turnouts and just need to find purchasers who are happy to buy a job lot of say a mixed set of left and rights and then fit them into their new layout by more conventional means.

I've always said Templot is a fantastic programme, but each and every turnout is custom built.  The plus side is great free flowing trackwork, the down side is that like a made to measure suit, the resale options are limited.

I think what I will do is print off some Templot templates at say 36" (small radius), 48" (medium radius) and anything larger (large radius) and sell them in job lots of 10 at a time and see how they go.  Whatever happens it will be more satisfying to know they have been put to good use rather than going in the bin.

Of course if someone wanted to make an offer for the whole lot, I could be tempted......Could be the bargain of the century once I list just how many and what format.

Use what you want and sell the rest on eBay.  Sadly I don't have the time or I'd do it myself.

I think what I will do is print off some Templot templates at say 36" (small radius), 48" (medium radius) and anything larger (large radius) and sell them in job lots of 10 at a time and see how they go.  Whatever happens it will be more satisfying to know they have been put to good use rather than going in the bin.

Gordon

I agree that selling them off in batches is a good idea, whilst for you adjusting an existing turnout is more trouble than its worth, for those who struggle with making the common crossings altering the alignment going into the common crossing hopefully will be within their capability, especially as you have done a such a good job soldering them up in the first place, as there will not be large amounts of solder on the timbers getting in the way

Good luck with both the sale and ET

• RMweb Gold

I think that one of the strengths of ET is the combinations of pointwork into formations. Surely better to sell these complete rather than as individual units.

If you have the trackplans of each layout, perhaps you could highlight these areas???

Funnily enough Joseph, I tried that once before.  The complete CAD print of ET terminus plus all the turnouts and slips to build it.  32 items of pointwork plus the full size plan.

Whether it was the wrong time of the year or what, there were no takers, so I put it all away.  It would make a good exhibition layout.

If anyone fancies building a terminus with lines out to storage get in touch.  It's 18' x 3' with a full size CAD plan and all the turnouts to suit.

£250 and it's yours......

post-6950-0-80714600-1479468831_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-58050300-1479469449.jpg

Thought I'd better check....

Nope, the width of the plan sheet is 3'.  From memory each of the platforms were 8' long to take 7 coaches and a Pacific.

Had to dig deep, but think this is the original file....

Bargain for someone..

post-6950-0-53690400-1479471889_thumb.png

ET terminus has been sold!  My very first design and always my favourite.  It will be great to see it up and running in RMweb at some time in the future. 

They'll be calling me John Lewis soon. 'Never knowingly undersold'...... :biggrin_mini2:

I've also sold 6 turnouts to one guy and a double junction to another, so that's three new customers from RMweb.  Great start to the weekend...

Thanks for all your suggestions and encouragement to put them on the market.  :drink_mini:

Archived