Brass strip for 4mm wagon tie bars

Hi All, 

Can anyone recommend some brass/NS strip dimensions for use as tie bars, for wagons in 4mm scale? A potential supplier would also be useful. 

I need these for a couple of wagons with 10' 6'' axle spacing, and I can't find anything available other than making my own. 

Many thanks

Paul A. 

• RMweb Premium

I used to use 1mm brass strip, but more recently I've taken to using 0.75mm nickel silver strip which I get from Hobby Holidays at shows that he attends.  The nickel silver is a bit over the top on a plastic wagon I suppose; I started using it because he didn't sell brass in that size!  On plastic wagon kits (Parkside etc) I file the keeps off the bottom of the W-iron to leave a flat surface and glue the strip on with Evostik.

0.9mm wire filed to half-round (with flats on the ends, on the front of the W-iron) works ok, and is stronger than full-flat section.

Flattening the wire with a light hammer on a steel block works very well. It's quicker than trying to file the wire accurately. Not that there's anything wrong with filing.

Archived