Metcalfe Yard

sb67

Steve - How did you do your puddles?

Hi Adrian.

I used a method described in Gordon Gravetts book, modeling grasslands. They are microscope slides painted murky colours on one side. This is then glued, paint side down, into a slight recess in the groundwork. The groundwork is then built up around it to whatever size and shape you want. The slides are pretty small and a bit fragile but cheap enough from e bay.

Hope that helps.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks.

(I tried perspex and it did not work. So I can see the sense in using thin glass)

Theye are very thin and if they break are a bit dangerous but perfect for smaller puddles.

Steve.

Hello Steve,

I am most likely stating the most obvious but in the sole interest of safety: microscope slides (thin, fragile slides) splinter and cut well and are not for use when small kids are around ... also for the same reason do not put your meals down right next to them when you working with them.

No offense intended but if unintentionally given: my apologies in advance. I have seen ungood things happen.

Best Regards,

Christian

Hello Steve,

I am most likely stating the most obvious but in the sole interest of safety: microscope slides (thin, fragile slides) splinter and cut well and are not for use when small kids are around ... also for the same reason do not put your meals down right next to them when you working with them.

No offense intended but if unintentionally given: my apologies in advance. I have seen ungood things happen.

Best Regards,

Christian

No offence taken Christian, cant do no harm to err on the side of safety.

Steve.

post-24-0-73580700-1519046487_thumb.jpg

Planted my hut and just got to bed it in with a bit more junk etc.

post-24-0-63518200-1519046506_thumb.jpg

I also got given a present by my other half of this fork lift truck, I was very pleased just got to build another layout now as it's not really suitable for this one. ;-)

Steve.

• Like 11

This is so good! I'll be delighted if I get get even near this level of atmosphere on my layout!

Thanks Matt, I'm sure you will. Most of what I did was inspired by various threads on here, I'll look forward to seeing your work.

Steve.

Hi Steve!

Your layout looks great, I like it very much! Everything is very consistent and lovingly designed.

I will continue to pursue this, and I wish you continued to enjoy the design and operation of your layout!

Regards - Thomas

Thank you Thomas, I havent got a lot more to do with the scenery, just a few small details and maybe a few people. Next I want to concentrate on some stock and running it. I didn't give a lot of thought about operation and having had a go at a layout at a show I wish I had. I'll still have some fun shuffling wagons around though.

Steve.

post-24-0-80706100-1519831204.jpg

post-24-0-62901600-1519831227.jpg

post-24-0-78567900-1519831240.jpg

post-24-0-12947700-1519831176_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-01462000-1519831192_thumb.jpg

I've added a couple of figures having a chat and I recon now the layout's about done or as done as it could be, I'm sure I could find a few more things to put there. I'm really pleased as this would be the first layout that I've ever got to call complete. Next up I guess will be some rolling stock.

Steve.

• Like 15

Hello Steve,

This is looking just right (to me at least): very nicely done.

One still gets impressed with a sense of the spaciousness of the prototype. Liking teh figures, too.

IMO no need to put more items/cameos/motives/clutter now.

Best Regards,

Christian