GWR Drinking Water Tank Wagon Dia DD1

brossard

I've agreed to build the subject wagon for a friend.  It is a Dragon Models etched brass kit.  The build itself doesn't appear to present any particular challenge from what I can see.

However, this is not a usual vehicle and the period in which it will be modelled is late 1950s/early 1960s when it was in Departmental use.

The wagon itself:

34452066693_07012fe02e_z.jpgP1010001-004 by John Kendall, on Flickr

This is a page from the instructions.

The issue I can see is with the lettering.  I doubt that the mainstream players have a set of transfers for these and wonder if anyone out there knows of a source for them.  They're not difficult and I've a mind to have go at making them myself, but before I do I'd like to know if any are available.

Thanks

John

Edited by brossard

Hi John, Just as a point of interest and my own curiosity, did these tank waggons have baffle plates inside them to stop any surging of water occurring on braking and the like? 

Best

Guy

John,

No idea re the transfers, the vehicle is interesting, it looks like a "stunted" iron mink! A little voice in my head tells me someone else does a kit, but I've no idea who. Perhaps a search on the G0G traders' directory?

Guy

I suspect the vehicle only moved "full" or "empty", & probably not much in between, so surge would not normally be an issue. Then again, if someone did something illogical/unforeseen/daft, you'd have a few tons of water sloshing around, (half full might be 3-4 tons!) so my guess would be "yes".

Best

Simon

Interesting model to build.

As I'm starting out in 0 Gauge I will follow with interest and useful to know these kits are available.

I attempted to scratch build two in 4mm back in 1990 ! Not sure my efforts do it justice but from a distance ( as they say ! )

post-20303-0-90681400-1497288205_thumb.jpeg

post-20303-0-70165400-1497288232_thumb.jpeg

Never did get around to painting or lettering either.

Grahame

• Like 3

Good looking models Grahame.  At least you got one painted, that green seems about right.  Glad you are doing 0 gauge now, I only made the switch late last year and I'm happier in my modelling than I have ever been.

John

Good looking models Grahame.  At least you got one painted, that green seems about right.  Glad you are doing 0 gauge now, I only made the switch late last year and I'm happier in my modelling than I have ever been.

John

Hi John,

Thank you, erm.... that green is actually grey ! Its probably due to the lighting and a quick snapshot on my iPhone.

This 0 Gauge malarky ( said in the best possible taste ) really does capture the models and also I do like their  "presents ". You certainly know they are there !

ATB

Grahame 

Oops, awkward...  :drag: Yes, we'll put it down to the lighting.  I said green because departmental wagons were supposed to be dark green I think.  When I paint the kit I will use something on hand without worrying about whether it's official or not.  Weathering hides a lot.

John

The only reference I found for this wagon in the G0G directory was the Dragon model.  I did a search earlier and didn't get a website, but I have one now:

http://www.taffvale.wales/index.php

John

Thank you John, I too eventually found it ( bit of a faf to be honest ) but I do like the GW coaches.

I think that a GW Drinking Water tank wagon would sit well on my proposed country station and may, just may, have a go at scratch building one using my Silhouette Cutter. It might prove to be an interesting exercise !

Grahame

I hope you post details of the build Grahame.  It's good to challenge yourself.  I'm actually a bit of a contrarian when it comes to GWR.  I think there's too much of it and not enough of other company stock.  My 0 gauge builds have been somewhat eclectic and a mix of LNER, Southern and BR.

John

• Like 1

Well, I think plan A, commercially available transfers, has fallen flat.  Not a surprise really as this isn't a common prototype.

Yesterday,  with a view to doing Plan B using Letraset, I schlepped to the Art Supply shop and asked the girl where the Letraset sheets were.  Her face fell and she sadly told me that these had been extinct for 15 years.  I felt a right charlie.

Plan C is to do my own.  I have some Microscale sheets of white film transfer material.  White film is necessary because ink tends to be too translucent, especially yellow.  The problem with white film is accurately matching the base colour of the subject.

I've done transfers in the past using a cheap Samsung laser.  Results were very mixed but I did manage to get get a few usable transfers.  Mostly the machine ran too hot and it was a struggle to even get the sheet to feed.  I've since got a HP 8720 OfficeJet oil based ink jet.  The salesman assured me that it has the muscle to take heavyweight sheets so I'm curious to see how it does.  Certainly as a printer it has been flawless so far and I'm on my second set of cartridges.  Previous ink jets have dried out after only a few prints so I'm very happy with this one. 

I searched for this wagon yesterday on the interthingy and came up blank apart from a reference to a 4mm kit from Falcon:  http://www.falconbrassworks.com/details.php?code=WK113

The hundreds of people who have built this kit should be paying attention to this thread.  It's already provided more information than I've seen anywhere else (unless you have the Tourret GWR wagon book - and I don't).

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

The only reference I found for this wagon in the G0G directory was the Dragon model.  I did a search earlier and didn't get a website, but I have one now:

http://www.taffvale.wales/index.php

John

In the current G O Guild Gazette Scorpio Models advertise a DD2 water tank wagon kit as 'coming soon'.......they don't unfortunately have a website,

John

Thanks for that 247...,I've just checked the HMRS GWR Wagon Sheet.  I see the red lettering that would have been used for the wagon in grouping days - it would have been painted white.  However, the version I'm doing is late 50s and would be lettered as shown in post #1.

John

Thank you John, I too eventually found it ( bit of a faf to be honest ) but I do like the GW coaches.

I think that a GW Drinking Water tank wagon would sit well on my proposed country station and may, just may, have a go at scratch building one using my Silhouette Cutter. It might prove to be an interesting exercise !

Grahame

Grahame,

You can also get this from Powsides  

ID: 719 G.W.R. Water Tank Wagon. Diag. D.D.1

Cheers,

Mike

You can also get this from Powsides  

ID: 719 G.W.R. Water Tank Wagon. Diag. D.D.1

You can also buy just the BR red transfers as item 139. (which still doesn't help John who wants white ones!)

Dave

Edited by daifly

You can also buy just the BR red transfers as item 139. (which still doesn't help John who wants white ones!)

Dave

NO he doesn't. If it is the 1950s and in BR black then the lettering is yellow lining paint to BR spec. no 32A item 43 (colour to BSC 356)

Paul

• Like 1

NO he doesn't. If it is the 1950s and in BR black then the lettering is yellow lining paint to BR spec. no 32A item 43 (colour to BSC 356)

Paul

That's the problem with black and white photos. Perhaps I should have said "which still doesn't help John who *thinks he* wants white ones"!

Dave

Actually Dave, the instructions do say yellow lettering although they don't go to the level of detail of Paul.  The instructions also say the BR version was dark green, and me having bought a rattle can of Krylon Hunter green. :stinker:  Not that it matters too much in the end as the wagon will get weathered.  I do like to start with a correct representation though.

John

Actually Dave, the instructions do say yellow lettering although they don't go to the level of detail of Paul.  The instructions also say the BR version was dark green, and me having bought a rattle can of Krylon Hunter green. :stinker:  Not that it matters too much in the end as the wagon will get weathered.  I do like to start with a correct representation though.

John

I'd be *very* surprised if the BR livery as applied was dark green - possibly black with green algae growing on it after it had been in service for a while - but Swindon would have painted it black, with yellow lettering as per Paul's posting.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks John.  I've been mulling over why the kit notes should say green.  There is reference to Tourret's wagon book, so perhaps it comes from there.   To my mind though, yellow on green seems to work better than yellow on black.  Anyway matching black on my transfer sheet is easier than green.  BTW one of the first things I did was have a look at your range.  It even crossed my mind to see about some custom transfers.  However, as these are only letters, I think I can do them myself.

I recall several years ago building some GWR ballast wagons in early 60s condition.  My finishing was inspired by pictures I found on Paul's site - black with homemade white lettering.

Cheers

John

Edited by brossard