SR B4 0-4-0tanks in Industrial use

Dapol have displayed engineering samples of its soon to be released SR B4 0-4-0 tanks and I know that a number were sold into industrial use, but I only know of the ones sold to Stewarts and Lloyds Bilston steel works (known as Springvale works).

5 b4s were bought by the Bilston works in 1949 (the locos having been built in 1893, and all were named in SR service).

post-20690-0-09944500-1502278912_thumb.jpg

Cherbourg

Dorset

Sussex

Brittany

Guernsey

The locos were subsequently withdrawn in 1952 when the works took delivery of some Yorkshire Engine 0-4-0 Diesel electric locomotives, but seem to have hung around and not being scrapped until 1958.

The only photo I have is of one of the locos (Sussex) taken in 1949 soon after arrival.

When I used to visit my grandmaothers house in the 1960s I could see the blast furnace (called Elizabeth) and at night when it was charged you could see flames from the top.

Does anyone have photos of the other B4s at Bilston and know of the other examples of the B4s sold into Industrial use?.

Hopefully the Da[pol B4 will be a welcome addition to the range of RTR locomotives for the Industrial modeller.

David

Edited by Norton961
  • Like 1

One was sold to the Skinningrove Iron Company at Skinningrove on the North Yorkshire coast. It was named Jersey and was, apparently, well regarded by the crews. I'll check the date but seem to recall it was bought by the company shortly after WW2.

• Like 1

Another [identity tbc] was used in the construction of Yelland power station (between Fremington and Bideford, north Devon), opened in 1955. More details when I get home and can lay my hands on the relevant copy of the IRS handbook.

The Southern e-mail group webpages record a significant number withdrawn around Nationalisation and I suspect that most entered industry: http://www.semgonline.com/steam/b4class.html - note that 'Sussex' and 'Dorset' seem not to have been LSWR/SR names.

Adam

Edited by Adam

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have photos of the other B4s at Bilston and know of the other examples of the B4s sold into Industrial use?.

David

ex-BR 30096 (ex-LSWR No. 96 Normandy) ended up at PD Fuels (Corralls) Ltd in Southampton where it was renamed Corrall Queen.

I saw this on the Dapol stand at Ally Pally earlier this year and thought it looked very good.  They were showing the chassis dismantled and the wheels looked excellent (if of course they were the same as the production ones!)  I rather fancy the version with the 'cut away' cab front but don't want to buy a complete loco just for the body.  Quite happy to make my own chassis, cylinders etc. so I wonder if Dapol will sell bodies only?

BTW, Geoff Kent has one (from a kit) running in industrial use on his 'Black Lion Crossing' EM layout.  It will be at EXPO EM North in September.

• RMweb Gold

ex-BR 30096 (ex-LSWR No. 96 Normandy) ended up at PD Fuels (Corralls) Ltd in Southampton where it was renamed Corrall Queen.

The only two photos I took of the B4 at Dibbles Wharf in Southampton.

adjusted%20-%20b4corrals2.jpg

b4corrals1-%20repaired.jpg

(Post edited - Earlier issue corrected. Forum would only connect direct to image not through the album file)

Edited by john new
  • Like 7

If you want to go welsh 147 went to work for the NCB at Waenavon (AKA Waun Wen) at the Lion disposal point between Blaenavon and Brynmawr following withdrawal in 1949. It was then sold to the Blaenavon Co in 1951 wher it was named Blaenavon. Scrapped in 1958.  

The following is taken and reworded from from 'Skinningrove Iron & Steel Works' Cliff Shepherd, IRS 2012. There are a couple of photos of the loco at work in the book.

Skinningrove Iron purchased 'Jersey' from Bells of Doncaster (who presumably had acquired it from British Railways) on 21st March, 1949, for £1500.00. During it's move north it was noted on Leicester Central shed.

On arrival at the works, the vacuum brake was removed as was the firebox brick arch. It was thought the latter wouldn't survive the rough and tumble of steelworks life. Later, the tank mounted toolbox was also removed.

Low water and fuel capacities (10cwt coal and 600 gallons water) limited it's range so it worked sidings and operations close to shed facilities. It seems to have spent some time working bogies of scrap up onto the open hearth melting shop gantry.

A driver commented that you could feel the loco's power.

It was scrapped in April 1962, presumably at the works and fed to the furnaces it once served.

It had been valued at £160.2s.6d. on 30/9/61 with a later scrap value, for internal accounting purposes, of £261.00.

I wonder how much the Dapol model will cost?.....

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 1

Further to the East Yelland power station contract. The B4 was LSWR/SR 101, bought in 1949 by Taylor Woodrow. Interestingly it wasn't the only steam loco used in that job: Staverton Builders Ltd used a Barclay 0-6-0 saddle tank, w/n 1844 of 1924.

Adam

Wm. Pepper used one of these at Darton screens. It was bought from BR by the Ministry of Fuel and Power, in 1949 and scrapped in 1961. There is a photo in Industrial Steam (Ian Allan, 1994) in a black livery with red valances, buffer beams and rods with the word "PEPPER" in yellow on the tank sides.

• RMweb Premium

A useful book about the B4s, published 1988, with photos of post-BR use and a table of locos in industrial service. Buy if you see it!

post-14654-0-92924500-1502379738_thumb.jpeg Can't rotate iPad photo!

post-14654-0-68088600-1502379759_thumb.jpeg

Dava

• Like 1

Book arrived, excellent. If you want to model any of the locos sold into industrial use this book is a must. It turns out that Sussex when sold to Bilston had a Drummond boiler with safety valves in the dome. Most of the other locos sold had an Adams boiler with seperate safety valves.

There is a photo in the book showing 3 of the Bilston locos stored out of use I. 1956.

David

I think the furthest north escaper must have been 103, which ended up shunting the Blue Bell open cast disposal point at Backworth in Northumberland [literally just around the corner from me] I'm assuming it got the local dark blue NCB livery, before being scrapped in 1953, but does anybody have a photie? Its listed, but not illustrated in Main Line to Industry.

I think the furthest north escaper must have been 103, .......but does anybody have a photie?...

The B4 Dock Tanks book contains a photo (by Frank Jux) of 103 looking very scruffy with large D.O.C.P. in stencil font on the tanks and small 103 on tank in front of cab front - suggesting no repaint.  Photo shows stovepipe chimney and earlier Adams style boiler (dome to front).

Edited by Osgood

The B4 Dock Tanks book contains a photo (by Frank Jux) of 103 looking very scruffy with large D.O.C.P. in stencil font on the tanks and small 103 on tank in front of cab front - suggesting no repaint.  Photo shows stovepipe chimney and earlier Adams style boiler (dome to front).

Great, thanks for that. Sounds like and easy transformation.  :)

So - after March 1950 and before scrapping in 1953 this happened:

attachicon.gifB4 Backworth.jpg

Absolutely splendid and exactly what I wanted. Thank you to both of you. Now all I need to do is wait for Dapol to deliver

Interesting that you can still see the SOUTHERN showing underneath the D.O.C.P.