Phatbob

• RMweb Gold

Last weekend saw the debut of my “new” exhibition layout, “Bodmin Generally” at the Furness MRC show in Barrow in Furness.  “New” is in quotation marks as the layout has in fact been around a while and has been exhibited before a few times “Daarn Saarff” (I now live in Warrington).

The layout is based on Bodmin General, but is not a precise reconstruction, hence "Generally", rather than "General".  It was built by my friend Brian Stenning and purchased from his wife after he sadly passed away.  The layout is now in my care and operated as running in the summer of 1963 using my own rolling stock.  I picked 1963 as the WR had moved to diesel hydraulic traction by then, but the SR were still using steam.  A great excuse for both types of traction on the same layout.

The following paragraphs were written by the builder, Brian Stenning who sadly passed away in 2014. 

I wanted to build a Western Region layout based on a prototype station.  Preferably, a small branch terminus, and after searching for a suitable track design I finally decided on Bodmin General around the late 1950s, early 1960s period.  I have adapted the track plan to suit the board size and whilst I have tried to make the buildings as near to the prototype as I could, with my limited modelling skills, I soon realized that I would have to settle on buildings that are similar but not exactly prototypical – hence the name Bodmin (Generally).  I hope the purists will forgive me.”

The base-boards are constructed of 9mm MDF on 2” x 1’’ softwood frames.  All trackwork is PECO Code 75 on a cork base and ballasted with granite chippings.  Points are controlled electrically with PECO point motors.

The station building is constructed using at least three Ratio station building kits suitably adapted, whilst the signal box and goods shed are also slightly modified Ratio kits.  The engine shed is scratch built using, in the main, Wills materials, as are the platform, retaining walls and the bridge.  Woodland Scenics materials have been used for the majority of the landscaping.

• Like 2

My next layout will be bases like yours on Bodmin General, but in preservation era, so I can run both GWR and SR locos in varying liveries. I too thought of a bit of kit bashing for the buildings plus altering the goods yard slightly, as the turnouts and crossings will be hand built I have decided to build it to EM gauge, I have mostly kit built locos with Romford/Markit wheels so a quick chassis rebuild and axle replacements is all that's needed

Great set of photos and more would be interesting, thanks for the thread

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A few more photos taken at the weekend.

The bubblecar is one of mine and is fitted with sound. However this layout is conventional DC.

post-1557-0-17299500-1508272431_thumb.jpg

Some  of Bobs Hydraulics

post-1557-0-21232500-1508272356_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-84088600-1508272519_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-17468900-1508272550_thumb.jpg

Another one of my locos on one of the SR workings from Wadebridge. Bobs 02 will be a  regular visitor on Bodmin.

post-1557-0-75326800-1508272453_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hmm.

Incorrect track gauge for the scale.

Wrong rail profile, mostly.

Wrong size and spacing of sleepers and timbers.

But frankly, who cares? This is really well executed, and lovely to look at. I looked at how carefully the track has been laid, and I bet it runs as well as it looks.

Bittersweet for you, I am sure, but it is always wonderful to see a friend taking on the mantle for a deceased modeller. I imagine you are very proud to be able to do this.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Last weekend saw the debut of my “new” exhibition layout, “Bodmin Generally” at the Furness MRC show in Barrow in Furness.  “New” is in quotation marks as the layout has in fact been around a while and has been exhibited before a few times “Daarn Saarff” (I now live in Warrington).

The layout is based on Bodmin General, but is not a precise reconstruction, hence "Generally", rather than "General".  It was built by my friend Brian Stenning and purchased from his wife after he sadly passed away.  The layout is now in my care and operated as running in the summer of 1963 using my own rolling stock.  I picked 1963 as the WR had moved to diesel hydraulic traction by then, but the SR were still using steam.  A great excuse for both types of traction on the same layout.

The following paragraphs were written by the builder, Brian Stenning who sadly passed away in 2014. 

I wanted to build a Western Region layout based on a prototype station.  Preferably, a small branch terminus, and after searching for a suitable track design I finally decided on Bodmin General around the late 1950s, early 1960s period.  I have adapted the track plan to suit the board size and whilst I have tried to make the buildings as near to the prototype as I could, with my limited modelling skills, I soon realized that I would have to settle on buildings that are similar but not exactly prototypical – hence the name Bodmin (Generally).  I hope the purists will forgive me.”

The base-boards are constructed of 9mm MDF on 2” x 1’’ softwood frames.  All trackwork is PECO Code 75 on a cork base and ballasted with granite chippings.  Points are controlled electrically with PECO point motors.

The station building is constructed using at least three Ratio station building kits suitably adapted, whilst the signal box and goods shed are also slightly modified Ratio kits.  The engine shed is scratch built using, in the main, Wills materials, as are the platform, retaining walls and the bridge.  Woodland Scenics materials have been used for the majority of the landscaping.

Very nice. I didn't know Brian but his (also, sadly, now late) son Graham was a former colleague and good friend. I will follow your thread with interest.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice. I didn't know Brian but his (also, sadly, now late) son Graham was a former colleague and good friend. I will follow your thread with interest.

Thanks for that.

Graham was a very good friend of mine too.  He, others, and I spent many a weekend at shows operating one of Roundhouse's layouts, then enjooying each other's company and a few real ales "apris-exhibition". 

We've carried on without him, but he's much missed when we raise a toast to "absent friends".

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that.

Graham was a very good friend of mine too.  He, others, and I spent many a weekend at shows operating one of Roundhouse's layouts, then enjooying each other's company and a few real ales "apris-exhibition". 

We've carried on without him, but he's much missed when we raise a toast to "absent friends".

PM sent.

• RMweb Gold

A few more photos taken at the Furness show last weekend. Unfortunately I couldn't be helping this weekend at the Warrington show so Bob has been working on more of his locos instead of using a few of mine but that does mean that if you are visiting both shows then there will be a bit more variety on the layout.

One of the photos shows Mike modified slip coach. He is currently working on one for Bob to produce the later version after it was no longer used as a slip coach

post-1557-0-82265500-1508578535_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-20758400-1508578557_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-21730500-1508578582_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

They say that every cloud has a silver lining.  The cancellation of the Preston show last weekend left me with a free weekend at short notice.  So a few improvements got made to Bodmin Generally over the weekend, ready for the Macclesfield show this weekend.  Hopefully, my layout minions will appreciate the improved ergonomics in the fiddleyard.  Next job will, I think, be to imbed more magnets in the track for the Kadees couplinngs, now that I have more of an idea where they should be located.
Hope to see some of you at Macc this weekend. :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Macc show done and dusted.  What an excellent weekend it was. :sungum:
Splendid exhibition, great hospitality and an excellent feed from the dinner Ladies of Tytherington school. :imsohappy:
The modifications to the layout worked okay and I now have a couple more possible invitations to future exhibitions elsewhere. 
After another weekend of operating the layout the exhibiting team have come to a remarkably unanimous decision as to where the uncoupliing magnets for the Kadees need to go.  So that's the next job.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bodmin Generally is now set up at the Transport Museum, Manchester.  Now ready for a couple of days on show at MRX 2018.  I gather that there's a wedding on somewhere tomorrow and some footballing going on in that London, but I'm sure everybody will come on down to the show instead.
Please! :declare:

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bodmin Generally will be appearing at the York Show this weekend.  Do say hello.  We'll be at the North end of the second mezzanine floor, possibly sweltering in the heat in front of those big windows.  We shall see...................

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bodmin Generally is going to the Liverpool MRS show in the old church at Waterloo (that's Merseyside, not Lambeth) during the weekend after next.
Do pop in and say hello.  Always a good show.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a lengthy hiatus courtesy of "germageddon", Bodim Generally will finally be making it's appearance at the Preston show (

) over the first weekend in March.  Do pop in and say hello.  So long I get the modifications finished in time Bodimin Generally will be featuring fully working signals for the first time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been looking through my camera and have realised that i've not uploaded any of the images I took at the last York show.  So here they are.  The Hawkesworth "ex-slip coach" BCK was converted for me by Mike Peace using the RTR Hornby model of an ordinary BCK as a basis.

Bodmin banner wider pic.PNG

Bodmin cropped 1.PNG

Bodmin cropped 2.PNG

Bodmin cropped 3.PNG

Bodmin cropped 5.JPG

Bodmin cropped 6.JPG

Bodmin banner wider pic.PNG

Bodmin cropped 1.PNG

Bodmin cropped 2.PNG

Bodmin cropped 3.PNG

Bodmin cropped 5.JPG

Bodmin cropped 6.JPG