The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Must-see civil engineering sights across Europe

eastwestdivide

The winter months are approaching, so it's time to do a bit of research for next year's holiday jaunt to "The Continent". 

Can I ask the collective wisdom for suggested "must-see" impressive civil engineering sights or unusual transport systems? They don't have to be railway-related.

I've already visited many of the Swiss Alpine routes, and rack-and-pinion systems are ten a penny, so to speak, so I'm looking elsewhere.

For example:

Millau Viaduct (awkward but doable by very infrequent train)

Belgian canal boat lift and inclined plane (both in the vicinity of Charleroi)

Karlsruhe tram-trains (for comparison with Rotherham!)

Dutch coastal defences

Montzen/Moresnet viaduct (again, bowled out by bike problems before)

Semmering Pass

Multi-level stations like Antwerp or Berlin Hbf.

Train ferries (Italy-Sicily and Hamburg-Copenhagen I think are the only ones left)

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Currently I will just settle for the ending of the upgrade work on the A1 from Jct 51 at Leeming to Barton being completed rather than the job creation scheme it has become!

It was scheduled to be completed Spring 2017 but just as Spring was due to finish it was changed to winter and there has been a deafening silence from our local MP but can you imagine if it was Network Rail rather than the Highways Agency!

Mark Saunders

• 2 weeks later...

If you drive down to Rousillon region of France, you can take in the Millau Viaduct, and the Garabit Viaduct. Try Le Petit Train Jaune from Latour de Carol. The change of gauge at Port Bou across the border into Spain. The resort of Argeles Sur Mer is a fantastic place to stay with a stunning beach. Coullioure give the arty side of things. 

If you do drive it, I would recommend breaking the journey over night either at Orleans or Bourges.

It's a shame that it would need sub-aqua gear (and doubtless all sorts of permits) to dive the trireme sheds of Piraeus.

But a reconstruction of the very significant ship this complex supported may be seen. The evidence for the standardisation of a complex weapon system on a proven high performance template revealed in the trireme shed excavation is the real significance. Over two thousand years were going to elapse before this idea came around again and was applied on this scale (the Athenian navy maintained about 400 triremes).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympias_(trireme)

...Corinth canal

Twofer on offer there, there's the 'Diolkos' guided trackway system too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diolkos

• RMweb Gold

Two in Portugal to recommend.

The Eiffel bridge across the Douro at Porto (very similar to Garabit but with a roadway at low level and now trams at the upper level);

The road/rail bridge across the Tagus at Lisbon.

If you take up the driving via Millau to Southern France option (as per above), many other viaducts worth visiting such as Fades and also on the constructed but never opened line south-east from Le Puy.