50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

Still with Lower Darwen on the bufferbeam!, how long since it was allocated there?

Mike.

It could be one of two, 76080 & 76081, both were allocated at Lower Darwen from Feb 1957 to March 1965, when both were transferred to Sutton Oak ( the 8G shed code) then both went to Springs Branch in June '67. But 81 only lasted a month before withdrawal, but could still have been there in store, but 80 wasn't withdrawn 'till the December.  The WHTS website doesn't prove one way or another if 81 was at 8F at the time of closure or not.

Edited by bike2steam

There's quite a few 1968 photos in this thread of mine:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91758-chris-ts-photo-archives-updated-6th-march/page-3

Chris Turnbull

Very true, Chris.

I wouldn't imagine the site Administrator minding too much if you shared some of the 1968 steam pictures again on this thread - you have some super atmospheric shots in colour!

Here's another of mine from the Special of 1st June 1968 - loco changeover at Hellifield

post-24907-0-30163500-1515691653_thumb.jpg

Trevor

• Like 19

Good to see the Grand Scottish Tour No5 which I travelled on from Edinburgh.The return from Carlisle to Edinburgh was unusual to say the least,being via Dumfries, Kilmarnock, Stirling (where the 47 was replaced by a class40), Dunfermline Upper and the Forth Bridge!

Were any other site members on the Williams Deacon's Bank Club steam special from Stockport on 17th March 1968? Actually two trains were run on the same day due to the ticket demand. The route it followed and the different locos involved was incredible.

I was on the second train which ran as follows:

70013 Stockport to Bolton

70013+45110 Bolton to Accrington

45447+45110 Accrington to Skipton

70013 Skipton to Carnforth where there was a break for a shed visit

4472 Carnforth to Skipton

45447+45110 Skipton to Accrington

45110+4472 Accrington to Bolton

4472 Bolton to Stockport

Train No 1 used the same two Pacifics but different Black Fives!

Due to the bad weather and the final runs being in the evening I didn't manage to take many photos, but here are some of them:

post-24907-0-44190600-1515763738_thumb.jpg

70013+45110 between Bolton and Accrington. If anyone can identify the location I would be grateful!

post-24907-0-59603900-1515763764_thumb.jpg

Mayhem at Accrington with a loco change - that's 45447 in the background

post-24907-0-40373800-1515763798_thumb.jpg

70013 waiting to leave Skipton on the leg to Carnforth

I have already uploaded a shot (on post #1 of this thread) of 70013 leaving Carnforth later that afternoon, when the sun had come out, as it took its turn on Train no 1 (We followed on Train No 2 behind 4472)

Amazing!

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 14

I'm glad I avoided all the special trains, the crowds, and some of the idiots tagging along. But quiet days at places like Manchester Victoria, Lostock Hall, Rose Grove, Carnforth, and Patricroft were enjoyable but solemn visits. I did similar 13 months earlier with the end of steam on the Southern.

On 29th December 1967 a spotty 16 year-old could be found on Manchester Victoria frozen to death on a bitterly cold day learning how to use his new secondhand 35mm camera that Father Christmas had brought.  

At least you got some decent pics, I had to make do with an ancient box brownie all the way thro', never mind - a few memories. :sungum: 

@ Chris Turnbull

Really enjoying seeing the colour shots, Chris.

Re the view from the footbridge at Carnforth (post#61). A good view showing the correct size lumps of coal for those of us adding real coal to our models! I walked across that bridge loads of times but never thought of taking a pic in that direction.

Re 45156 at Rose Grove. Shows the tastefully painted front number to replace the missing number plate. A staff member or an enthusiast's handiwork, I wonder.

Keep 'em coming!

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 1

Here's some more for your delectation.

attachicon.gif680711 Hoghton 48493 K1.7.jpg

It was that distant wisp of steam which heralded the imminent arrival of a "steamer".  48493 at Hoghton on 11th July.  

attachicon.gif680417 Manchester Victoria 44803 3.9.jpg

I always found the billowing of the exhaust as a steam loco passed under a low bridge fascinating.  44803 at Manchester Victoria on 17th April. 

attachicon.gif680708 Carnforth 42085 5.10.jpg

A long line of 16T mineral wagons full of coal for the coaling stage typified a steam shed.  42085 in the foreground, Carnforth on 8th July.

attachicon.gif680710 Rose Grove 45156 8.6.jpg

This shows all the crap that could be found in a steam shed towards the end of steam - and who can blame the staff?  Out of work in a couple of weeks.  45156 at Rose Grove on 10th July.

Chris Turnbull

I noticed that the inside of the tender in one of your photos is painted white. Very bizarre!

I'm afraid that was what caught my eye as well; what a lovely selection of vans.

.. and to think all that variety would go c1972, leaving only the BR standards.

Paul, who also remembers steam being in a terrible condition - especially on the WR, which seemed to go from bright green to the grottiest possible in months - with the number plates replaced by scrawled numbers.

• RMweb Gold

In the November of 1963 I was on my way home to Cardiff from a shed bash with some friends of the Birmingham area, changing off a Peak hauled Bristol train at Gloucester Eastgate and crossing the long footbridge to Central expecting to find a class 119 or 120 cross country dmu for the Cardiff connection.  This, to set the scene, was a night of thick freezing fog and very 'atmospheric'.  The dmu was lying dead and cold in the bay platform, no lights on, and a 3 coach set of Hawksworths whose normal employment was on the Hereford route.  At the Cardiff end of this rake was a cloud of steam.  Investigation had to be quick, as departure time was approaching, but the source of the steam proved to be a 6959 Modified Hall.  That was as far as could be readily determined; this locomotive was missing some parts, including all the brass and copper including the cab window frames, the cab window, the chimney cap, the safety valve cover, and both name and number plates.  

The Gloucester crew were unable to enlighten us as to the identity of the loco, but told us it was a Banbury engine that had worked in on a freight earlier and had been stolen for this job.  It was, apparently, restricted to freight work.  We were able to identify it by borrowing a rag from the fireman and wiping the clag off a coupling rod boss, a trick we'd learned from Barry scrapyard with GW engines.  I cannot recall it now, but Toynbee Hall rings bells. 

I have never seen a loco in steam in such dreadful condition, yet the safety valves were lifting!  Steam was escaping from, well, everywhere, and there were locos in much better external and probably mechanical condition at Barry.  I felt sorry for the crew having to work in such conditions on such a night; once under way the thing lurched and crabbed to an extent that could be felt in the first coach; it must have been appalling on the footplate but they carried on heroically, running up to about 40mph.  They managed to supply us with train heating, though.  Not so much a locomotive as a cloud of steam with a banging noise in the middle.

The service was put out of it's misery at Newport, already 25 late, and we completed the last leg on a Hymek hauled Portsmouth-Cardiff.  This was to be my last pre-preservation run behind a WR tender loco.

• Like 10

Looking at the allocation of Toynbee Hall, I'm not sure the loco could have been the one you encountered. 

For starters, it never seems to have been a Banbury loco; and in November 1963 as a Neath based engine it had another 2 years to go before withdrawal.