Wagon tarpaulins the easy way

Big improvement. I would still try your best to avoid big creases like the one on the right end of the right hand wagon; sheets tended to have a lot of weight of their own and once laid over a load would lie fairly flat. One of the things I notice again and again about them is that their sides fall concave under this weight, especially when over a sheet rail, and that's a pretty difficult effect to get in these small scales.

post-34294-0-89431100-1533289807.jpg post-34294-0-38649000-1533289808.jpg post-34294-0-15578900-1533289809.jpg post-34294-0-91263800-1533289809_thumb.jpg post-34294-0-89731400-1533289806_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My first thought though is to do away with lines entirely and make up a sheet that the wagon wears like a hat

I did that some time ago and it worked quite well. The sheet is stuck to the clingfilm with PVA and the visible film then trimmed away once it's set. The lack of visible ropes bothered me, though.

gwopen1_zpsdfa93284.jpg

gwopen2_zps24ec34d8.jpg

gwopen3_zps0279dcb0.jpg

gwopen4_zps9be91fec.jpg

In the last set or removable loads I've done, the load is very low so the sheet is shown as draped over it within the wagon and either tied or weighted inside, out of sight.

GC_D6_open.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

With these the material is completely saturated through with PVA/water when dry they become a hard self supporting hollow shell...........which I think Martin is after?

I didn’t do too well with the Roger Smith tarpaulins

post-34603-0-98688200-1533312382_thumb.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The current issue of Model Rail has an article about using the wrappers from Tunnock's Caramel wafers for tarpaulins. I tried it out on a Peco ng wagon. I've painted it Tar black, it could do with some weathering.

attachicon.gif105.JPG

One wrapper should do six wagons.

I’ve had a go with the Tunnock’s wrapper, needs weathering -

post-34603-0-66246000-1533312301_thumb.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

I’ve had a go with the Tunnock’s wrapper, needs weathering -

Not so sure you would have those folds around the shape of the object underneath- as has already been said the sheets were heavy, and pulling them tight to secure the ropes would result in an angle (in the case of the wagon in the picture probably 45 degrees down to the wagon side) to allow rain to run off and to avoid wind getting underneath

• RMweb Gold

Not so sure you would have those folds around the shape of the object underneath- as has already been said the sheets were heavy, and pulling them tight to secure the ropes would result in an angle (in the case of the wagon in the picture probably 45 degrees down to the wagon side) to allow rain to run off and to avoid wind getting underneath

I wouldn’t want anyone to think I’m ignoring their suggestions, I am trying (very trying) I’m just struggling to get it right without tearing the sheet

post-34603-0-01784000-1533313218_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

If you can find a copy, it's worth looking out for 'Freight Wagons and their Loads on the Great Western Railway and the Western Region of British Rail' by J H Russell. There is a lot in there showing the correct way, and the wrong way, to secure all sorts of loads to different sorts of wagon.

When it comes to sheets, my good friend, the Reverend Lewis, did me some 'Coil A' wagons (a type which carried a fixed sheet) using a painting technique called 'Impasto', where thick layers of paint are applied with an artist's palette knife.

A suggestion I've seen is to use teabags, which are obviously designed to retain their strength when soaking wet. Soaking in dilute PVA might still allow them to be stretched without tearing.

I've not tried it myself as for O Scale wagons I'd need catering-sized teabags!! But maybe easier in the smaller scales?

The ultimate challenge would be the sagging sheet with a puddle of water in it. I've never seen that modelled! ;)

After a bout of illness that left me in no mood for modelling, today I decided to have a stab at things. I went right back to basics and used simple writing paper cut to match the size of some 4mm David Smith wagon sheets I have (85mm x 60mm). Even though these are pregrouping sheets I found them very big; enough that the sides hung down to the solebar on both sides of a 5-plank wagon and that the ends hung over almost to touch the buffers. This was with the sheet laid flat across the wagon, and it was this - the simplest possible arrangement - I was aiming to represent as shown in the photo of Birmingham - the top pic in post #28.

The paper I used came as a few sheets of protective padding in the bottom of a box of books from Lightmoor. Its cream coloured and to me has the texture of very fine cartridge paper. It certainly isn't printer paper. It has a dull matt finish and is fibrous if you look under magnification.

It is thin as well and was easy to bend over the wagons into a simple hollow box shape so that it can be lifted on and off as needed.

I like my loaded model wagons to be heavier than my empties so the "load" was a largish steel nut glued to a cap of card about the size of a postage stamp. This card top gives a sense of a packing crate or similar under the sheet. By repeated pressure and handling I got the sheet to sag in the middle down to the load top which was the effect I wanted to achieve.

The drawback with using paper is it's lightness means the sides hang away from the wagon side. easily remedied if I used wire or thread to simulate lines tied down but not possible for a removable sheet.

I like that it doesn't have the big overscale creases others are struggling with and it at least has a sense of tautness about it. I have two wagons with sheet rails that I'll tackle next.

post-34294-0-58478100-1533330497_thumb.jpg  post-34294-0-66480100-1533330498_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Two more different effects. First rolling up the paper in a tight ball and rolling it in my palms and re-doing this several times. This destroys any integrity in the paper and (surprisingly) makes it dimensionally significantly smaller. The result is quite a nice crumpled look and a ragged fraying to the lower edge. I have got one big overscale fold at the left end but I think a spray of paint will help this.

And last taking the paper and folding it and refolding it and rolling it a few times to try and induce the look of a newish sheet that's only done a few journeys. I think this is one of the better effects I've got so far but in all these the lack of securing lines is very obvious - though I will just have to live with that.

post-34294-0-74097600-1533332452_thumb.jpg  post-34294-0-68578700-1533332454_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chuff

I am really enjoying seeing how you are experimenting with different methods, please don't be discouraged I think I might be in a gang who are learning along with you.

I very much agree, this is developing into a great and informative thread. I have yet to see anyone who got 4mm tarps completely right, so all experiments are much appreciated.

I didn’t do too well with the Roger Smith tarpaulins

They aren't the only ready made tarps out there. Stephen uses those from wagonsheets.co.uk. Examples on his thread here, and contact details in his post here.

Edited by Mikkel

Today's attempt over a pair of wagons with sheet rails - a 5-plank and a 7-plank. Tried the "virgin paper" method and the crumpled method. I'm also trying to get that characteristic concave sag of the sheet as it hangs between rail and wagon side. I think subtlety in everything is the watchword. I'm fairly happy with all these results, the problem being durability. I can see these "paper hat" type sheets just falling apart after 10 to 20 'wearings'.

post-34294-0-95916500-1533395532_thumb.jpg post-34294-0-89627900-1533395534_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Today's attempt over a pair of wagons with sheet rails - a 5-plank and a 7-plank. Tried the "virgin paper" method and the crumpled method. I'm also trying to get that characteristic concave sag of the sheet as it hangs between rail and wagon side. I think subtlety in everything is the watchword. I'm fairly happy with all these results, the problem being durability. I can see these "paper hat" type sheets just falling apart after 10 to 20 'wearings'.

attachicon.gifDsc00947.jpg attachicon.gifDsc00948.jpg

I can’t decide which one I like most because they both look equally as good!