Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Help identifying loco kit???

• RMweb Gold

It looks like one of the old K's Bodyline kits for an MR 3F 0-6-0T with the round topped boiler.

It was designed to fit on the Hornby Dublo ex SECR R1 0-6-0T chassis, which has the wrong wheel spacing.

David

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Traintresta said:

Does anybody know what locomotive this is? ...

Leaving the factual replies behind, I might propose 'whatever medium size round top boiler side tank 0-6-0T you might want it to be'...

There's plenty of metal to carve into, and with a different smokebox door, boiler fittings, buffers and other characteristic parts it formed a good basis for production of all sorts of late C19th machines. (Among what choice there was, this kit represented a relatively cheap item to start from.)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Leaving the factual replies behind, I might propose 'whatever medium size round top boiler side tank 0-6-0T you might want it to be'...

There's plenty of metal to carve into, and with a different smokebox door, boiler fittings, buffers and other characteristic parts it formed a good basis for production of all sorts of late C19th machines. (Among what choice there was, this kit represented a relatively cheap item to start from.)

That is not a bad idea.

Thanks for all the replies.  I missed the 3f thinking that the step down in the top line of the side tanks wasn't a very MR feature. Guess I dont't know my midland engines very well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Traintresta said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I missed the 3f thinking that the step down in the top line of the side tanks wasn't a very MR feature. Guess I dont't know my midland engines very well.

I think that feature was peculiar to the 3F tanks and is what makes it recognisible.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Should scrub up well enough with a Bachmann Jinty/1F chassis, which would have the correct wheels, coupling rods, and wheel spacing.

It does look to be a very well made kit so I think I'll keep it but I'll make my own chassis out of brass, using gibson wheels and a high level gearbox.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2