Mk1 Restaurant Buffet RB

gordon s

Just catching up with the Hornby announcement yesterday and apart from the obvious A2's and the W1, I was wondering about the Mk1 Restaurant buffet. I see three regions are available (nearly said catered for...) but no Eastern region version. Did they ever run on the Eastern Region as it may save me a few bob if the answer is no....

If they did, were they considerably different to the MR version?

• RMweb Gold

Not a complaint as such, more of a coach oriented peeve!

Of all the catering coaches to pick, Hornby do the one of which there already is a half decent model (it has it's faults, but it's quite acceptable).

I realise from a commercial point of view that it is long lived and multi - liveried so is a sensible choice.

Although this will be an improvement on the existing model, it's a missed opportunity IMHO.

Mike.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Depends which Diagram this Hornby one is; I haven't checked but I think it is a D24. If so then there were ER vehicles but I have misplaced my Ian Allen ABC Coaches that has the numbers. Sorry.

P

D24 ER:  E1663 - 99 & E1714/5. The Prototype E1700 was slightly different to the rest and there were some detail differences amongst the others I believe?

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Not a complaint as such, more of a coach oriented peeve!

Of all the catering coaches to pick, Hornby do the one of which there already is a half decent model (it has it's faults, but it's quite acceptable).

I realise from a commercial point of view that it is long lived and multi - liveried so is a sensible choice.

Although this will be an improvement on the existing model, it's a missed opportunity IMHO.

Mike.

RKB (D25) would have been good?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Depends which Diagram this Hornby one is; I haven't checked but I think it is a D24. If so then there were ER vehicles but I have misplaced my Ian Allen ABC Coaches that has the numbers. Sorry.

P

All regions received Diagram 24 RB

1701-1713, LMR from new.

1663-1699, 1714-1715, ER from new. Many of this batch were later prefixed with NE, I am unsure which were new to the ER and which to the NER.

1716-1724, 1756-1772 SR from new

1644-1657, 1725-1732, 1739 -1755 WR from new

1658- 1662, 1733 -1738 ScR from new

Over the years many were transferred across the regions.

Confusion arises with RBs as quite a few RFs and RUs were converted to kitchen buffet cars later on. There were no major changes to the RBs. RBR meant they had been refurbished with fluorescent lighting.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

D24 ER:  E1663 - 99 & E1714/5. The Prototype E1700 was slightly different to the rest and there were some detail differences amongst the others I believe?

Many thanks for your input. So if I understand correctly, the Hornby model is a D24 and they did run on the Eastern Region. I wonder why Hornby didn't offer an 'E' to go with the M, S and W versions.

Is it just a case of renumbering or were there significant other differences?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

1701-1713, LMR from new.

1663-1699, 1714-1715, ER from new. Many of this batch were later prefixed with NE, I am unsure which were new to the ER and which to the NER.

Confusion arises with RBs as quite a few RFs and RUs were converted to kitchen buffet cars later on. There were no major changes to the RBs. RBR meant they had been refurbished with fluorescent lighting.

Also, didn't RBR indicate a refurbished interior with fixed seats?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, gordon s said:

Many thanks for your input. So if I understand correctly, the Hornby model is a D24 and they did run on the Eastern Region. I wonder why Hornby didn't offer an 'E' to go with the M, S and W versions.

Is it just a case of renumbering or were there significant other differences?

Don't take my word for it being a D24 as I haven't really looked carefully at the Hornby pics. They ran out of Es having just had their Christmas Parties?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Thanks guys. "Over the years many were transferred across the regions" would suggest I could use the Midland version without renumbering. Were they all maroon or was the Southern version green?

Just seen four more replies, so will check those....:yes:

Make that five...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Might have been, the Longworth book doesn't state that so I will look in the Parkin book to check.  

Just get on and finish S1552 or is it S1553?

I have just been digging through them and admiring the verdigris on the brass sides...………...

Parkin is snuggled up next to me here...….

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, gordon s said:

Thanks guys. "Over the years many were transferred across the regions" would suggest I could use the Midland version without renumbering. Were they all maroon or was the Southern version green?

Just seen four more replies, so will check those....:yes:

Make that five...

SR Green. Pretty sure Bachman did one? There was another from way back...….not Dapol but the other lot!

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

1701-1713, LMR from new.

Thanks Clive. The Hornby pic shows 1671 on the GWR. Any ideas as it doesn't appear in your list. Were they just numbered without a regional prefix?

422557858_Screenshot2020-01-07at12_03_45.png.f17310a0b4aa8c706b89f7731c488f12.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Thanks Clive. The Hornby pic shows 1671 on the GWR. Any ideas as it doesn't appear in your list. Were they just numbered without a regional prefix?

422557858_Screenshot2020-01-07at12_03_45.png.f17310a0b4aa8c706b89f7731c488f12.png

Looking at the coach next to it in WR livery with commonwealth bogies and the ETH connector I would guess it is a preserved one used on railtours. in the days the WR was painting its coaches chocolate and cream they had no locos with ETH.

1671 is part of the big ER batch 1663 to 1699, the Longworth book doesn't show a withdrawal date.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Looking at the coach next to it in WR livery with commonwealth bogies and the ETH connector I would guess it is a preserved one used on railtours. in the days the WR was painting its coaches chocolate and cream they had no locos with ETH.

1671 is part of the big ER batch 1663 to 1699, the Longworth book doesn't show a withdrawal date.

Thanks Clive. Apologies, I had number blindness. Blooming' obvious now that 1671 would be between 1663 and 1699......Doh!

It was only yesterday that we were talking about not seeing things when they were right in front of you.....:D

Strange that Hornby chose a pic of the Eastern version, the only one they haven't listed in their first batch.

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Thanks Clive. Apologies, I had number blindness. Blooming' obvious now that 1671 would be between 1663 and 1699......Doh!

It was only yesterday that we were talking about not seeing things when they were right in front of you.....:D

Strange that Hornby chose a pic of the Eastern version, the only one they haven't listed in their first batch.

Hi Gordon

Even stranger they chose a photo of one used for railtours to illustrate a 1960s coach.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

24 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gordon

Even stranger they chose a photo of one used for railtours to illustrate a 1960s coach.

These coach diagrams have been going round in my head..

Unless I'm mistaken, based on the images they have used (which I hope they have asked permission for) i see diagrams 23,24,26 

and thats just looking at doors and windows, i daren't look at roofs :blink:

Rgds

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, westie7 said:

These coach diagrams have been going round in my head..

Unless I'm mistaken, based on the images they have used (which I hope they have asked permission for) i see diagrams 23,24,26 

and thats just looking at doors and windows, i daren't look at roofs :blink:

Rgds

Mark

Such fun (not?)

P

• Like 3