McDonald & Dodds

John Harris

Did anyone see last night's "McDonald & Dobbs"?

The plot featured Brunel's 'Box Hill" Tunnel, and a version in miniature.  As the model railway is so central to the story, the McDonald & Dodds production team actually built a model railway to film with, part of the storyline is all about a model railway a character has in his home, which is a replica of the Bath countryside and one of Brunel’s tunnels, where the body is found.   The layout was the size of several snooker tables.

It's not a bad detective series, a bit lighter than the unrelenting gloom of "Vera".

jch

Edited by John Harris
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Phil Parker changed the title to McDonald & Dodds

There was also an impressive collection of what looked like G scale locomotives and rolling stock in cabinets around the model railway room.

The layout was obviously created to suit the story and plot, the (railway) lines did not seem to join up.

jch

Edited by John Harris
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi,

Does anyone know which real tunnel was used for the filming?.

My guess is the Bluebell's Sharpthorne tunnel as it appeared to be dripping water from the roof and had some concrete sleepers. Also its UK preservations longest tunnel which might help in trying to double for Box Tunnel. It had bullhead rail but many preserved lines use that.

* I think the twin tracks in long shots were CGI (but not as bad as the green screening behind the balloon basket in the previous episode).

Funny how the design on model railways in TV shows is becoming a trope. Hinterland was the only TV drama where I've seen a modern standard scenic model railway but that was where the countryside shown helped with informing the plot.

Regards

Nik

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, NIK said:

Funny how the design on model railways in TV shows is becoming a trope. Hinterland was the only TV drama where I've seen a modern standard scenic model railway but that was where the countryside shown helped with informing the plot.

Regards

Nik

Hinterland was the only one where the detective actually knew something about model railways, too, correctly identifiying the loco as a Bachmann City. I think the explanation was that his brother had been a railway modeller.

9 hours ago, NIK said:

Regards

Nik

There was a modern standard 00 layout on an episode of Father Brown a few years back. Unfortunately that series is set in the 1950s....

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

There was a modern standard 00 layout on an episode of Father Brown a few years back. Unfortunately that series is set in the 1950s....

Discussed on another thread.

Hi,

Now that a rare type of meteorite has been found in Winchcombe there may be a plot for the third series of Macdonald and Dodds. Someone plans the perfect murder by bonking someone on the head with a meteorite. The dead person has been left in an open space near Bath and is found via their phone and a helicopter search.

Plot twists could include why the new UK meteor tracking array didn't pick up the fireball and the strange state of the magnetism of the supposedly pristine meteorite.

No railways need be crowbarred into the script, one can have too much of a good thing.

Regards

Nick

• Friendly/supportive 1

It's quite impressive as a bespoke piece built for a TV production.  It also follows in the Gerry Anderson/Derek Meddings tradition of any model built for a TV show has to have Dapol/Airfix kit parts creatively re-used, in this case the turntable kit sides inverted as a bridge at one end :)

Hi,

There is a non working model of Bath gasworks in the Museum of Bath At Work.

It is festooned with railway tracks including a circuit going round the gasometer, with sidings off including to various chemical processes.

I was very tempted to make a model of it if I could get hold of a copy of the plans. Might have been able to use RTR industrial steam locos id I made it in OO, but it would be a biggish layout.

Regards

Nick