Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

I agree, Kintbury John's black cab window surrounds have certainly enhanced the look.

BTW, in my previous post, i listed the three options as A,B and C, but something's gone wrong and B has appeared as an emoticon and C as circa ???? Tried editing, but no luck, have reported to Mods. There must be gremlins about. BK

Hi Chaps - I think I've got it sorted now. The worrying thing is when I first inspected the coaches, the one which should have been on the motor bogie, shouldn't actually be able to fit onto the non-motor bogie section, and was bowing slightly. I should have taken a photograph, but I just went for it and dismantled the two to swap them over. The lugs are really fiddly, take care when removing the coach bodies chaps - I didn't break anything luckily, but it is not as easy as it says in the instructions!

By having the coach body on the wrong coach, mine would not have worked, because as far as I can tell from looking at mine, and the instructions, the wires from the coach roof (where the DCC chip is meant to be fitted) have to be pressed into a socket in the motor compartment. Mine wasn't: it was neatly stowed (just about) between the aisles of the seats in the wrong carriage. All of the coaches have wires in some form from the roof/body to their chassis, so it took five minutes of careful checking to make sure all was well once the switch happened.

So, some photographs then, now that all is well with the unit!

post-1656-0-37262400-1316084311.jpg

post-1656-0-39662500-1316084319.jpg

post-1656-0-62330200-1316084333.jpg

This was the offending coach, which was originally on the chassis of the one below!

post-1656-0-62247500-1316084347.jpg

...and this one was on the motor bogie. Confusing? Yes!

post-1656-0-21333300-1316084363.jpg

Now that it's in one piece, working, and I have time to examine it - I'm actually a lot happier with it in the flesh than I thought I would be. But I can't find out where these "missing" door handles are. There's a single missing door handle on one side of the non-powered centre coach, but that's about it.

John M Upton's excellent modifications are something I am going to have a go on, and definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, a new set of wheels for the motor bogie. The traction tyres squeal when decelerating or accelerating, I cannot live with that forever!

So in conclusion - it's better in the flesh than it is in photographs. However, it does need a lot of remedial work - the bogies are all, as Brian said earlier, "wrong" - but I'm feeling more confident about my ability to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse this morning after surviving the earlier shenanigans, and seeing John's modifications.

If someone could advise me on the correct two digit code for "Dartford - Charing Cross via Sidcup", it would be much appreciated and would round off the morning with a correctly diagrammed 4VEP running round my little circuit!

EDIT: for name mistake!

Edited by S.A.C Martin

I agree, Kintbury John's black cab window surrounds have certainly enhanced the look.

BTW, in my previous post, i listed the three options as A,B and C, but something's gone wrong and B has appeared as an emoticon and C as circa ???? Tried editing, but no luck, have reported to Mods. There must be gremlins about. BK

Now sorted Brian, the software converts the b ) (without the space) into B) and the ( c ) into ©

Sorry to hear about your problems S.A.C., but at least you've managed to correct the assembly problem, the missing door handles is a new pain. Have you now got the correct chassis with the right steps per vehicle?

I feel sorry for any retailers caught in the middle of this, if any have read these posts about the incorrectly assembled bogies, they may fear a number of units being returned.

If you were a retailer, what would you do?: Would you:-

(a ) Return all unsold incorrect VEP stock to Hornby?

(b ) Try and rectify the VEP bogie problems yourselves?

(c ) Keep quiet and do nothing?

Cheers, Brian.

I must admit, I'm now considering the magnitude of hacking up 90+ DTCs...

Thanks for sorting out the edit problem.

I have to say on the plus side, the VEP liveries on both the plain blue and the NSE are beautifully executed and the colours are very good. I would model the blue and blue/grey period, although the rendition of NSE stripes is very appealing.

Cheers, Brian.

• RMweb Premium
"Dartford - Charing Cross via Sidcup"

Certainly.

40 when running via Park's Bridge (Lewisham avoiding line)

50 when running via Lewisham

Add 2 when running beyond Gravesend to Gillingham (42, 52)

Add 4 when running to points beyond Dartford to Gravesend (44, 54)

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm left wondering if it is the same Hornby who produce those superb Pullman cars with working table lamps and magnificent detail. Four of those cost less than a Vep and while they also don't include a motor what does a basic Limby unit actually cost?

l'm left wondering if Hornby have fired their entire QC team ?, or, even if they had one, in the first place ?

Nah - it's generic - I have a Corgi diecast Hurricane made in China that has two left hand undercarriage struts !!!

As I've said before - let's hope Chinese tanks suffer the same problems when they decide to get all imperial..... ;) :D

• Like 1

Hi,

I've just been reading through this topic.

Forgive if it has been said before, but as this VEP model uses a Hornby class 73 motor bogie, it would inevitably be doomed to sit too low on the track - even if the sides had been the correct height. A class 73 and VEP motor bogie, in reality, had 40" diameter wheels, which scales out at 13.3mm. I suspect that the Hornby wheel diameter will be a lot less.

Not that visible perhaps, but that would make the VEP motor coach sit too low, thus forcing the designers to reduce the ride height of the other coaches. So one answer to the problem is to buy a set of Ultrascale replacement wheels for a Hornby Class 73. The motor bogie moulding would probably need a small amount of fettling to give clearance for the flanges, but the conversion should take no more than 30 mins. Then raise the other bogies to match and things should start to look better!

P.S. A Bachmann 4 CEPs' ride height can be adjusted by careful bending of the bogie pick-up contacts which protrude into the chassis.

Colin

• Thanks 1

The bogie frame is a new mould, it is different to the 73 bogie frame. Am not at home to measure the wheel sizes but I seem to think the wheels for the motor coach looked quite 'chunky', they certainly didn't look too small. I'll take a photo of it later alongside a 73 (unless someone else can beat me to it!)

Edited by kintbury jon

The bogie frame is a new mould, it is different to the 73 bogie frame. Am not at home to measure the wheel sizes but I seem to think the wheels for the motor coach looked quite 'chunky', they certainly didn't look too small. I'll take a photo of it later alongside a 73 (unless someone else can beat me to it!)

Hi Kintbury jon,

I'd be interested to see a comparison and I must say my comments were based on a post which said the VEP motor bogie was derived from a class 73 one.

Colin

Edited by Colin parks

But I can't find out where these "missing" door handles are. There's a single missing door handle on one side of the non-powered centre coach, but that's about it.

I was only quoting off the 'Rail Express' review.

From memory it was only the one handle.

I seem to recall however that it was noted as being on the MBS (not the trailer) to the door in the extra passenger saloon (one side only).

This is still poor quality control/quality assurance.

Edited by jonathan452

I didn't know VEPs ever graced the Loop. Can someone please educate me about when this was?

There was definitely one set used down our line in the early 90s on a regular basis - I remember it, and the graffiti like it was yesterday! (Sidcup was more EPB territory, from that I'm researching).

It's amazing, I lived right through the 90s and never thought to stop and see what was being used at the time...! I've also found a few shots of VEPs at New Eltham in and around 1993 so they had to come through Sidcup at some point.

EDIT: Just to clarify that it wasn't a regular occurrence - for the period I'm looking at, it was the 465s that were in the ascendency, with a smattering of the other types, including a 4VEP.

EDIT 2 - 465 not 455.

Edited by S.A.C Martin

Umm - 465s? They, the "Networkers" were the brave new face of suburban South Eastern in the early '90s, retiring the EPBs - and doing away with guards. 455s got into Charing Cross on the Caterham/Tattenham Corner services.

Yes, you're quite right. I'll edit accordingly.

I'm not doing well in this thread today. :(

• RMweb Premium

For those looking for the parts I used for my VEP ends, it is the sprue of end fittings that Replica produce for their MLV model but would work equally as well on any of the traditional BR(S) slam door units.

http://www.replicara...ies/accessories

Towards the bottom of this page, Ref RA110.

The buckeye coupling in particular is much more realistic looking than the rather small piece Hornby have supplied (seems to have been on the same crash diet as their horns!) Simply pull out the existing draw bar hook, trim the end of the Replica coupling and push it in with a small dab of glue.

The horns just lift off, then a small drill bit to open out the holes ever so slightly then refit the Replica ones.

The window edges are done with a fine permanent marker, very simple to do. In fact Hornby's advert shows the NSE VEP (and incorrectly the blue one) has carrying this feature and all black cap front end VEP's should have them but yet for some reason the production version has omitted them!

Better picture which shows the replacement coupling:

post-6910-0-22001800-1316103467.jpg

By the way, should the inner ends of the DMCsoL's have a full set of steps to the roof? I thought these got chopped off long before last NSE livery came along like most Mk 1 stock?

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1