The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

however oppo also gave me a rather nice bottle of 20 year old whisky plus a small hip flask a week or so back (and herself gave me a nice little funnel of exactly the right diameter yesterday).

It fits your mouth? There's clever. Edited by BoD
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

My point was aimed at this person , not cyclists in general

I agree with your sentiments entirely but ...

using that sort of language

Re-read your own post. Let's just move on.

Yes, that's the one, BoD.

I particularly noticed it because it came from someone not the least interested in Railways but who called recently when I had a diorama under construction on the kitchen table.

It's the thought that counts.

The kiss was appreciated, Pete, because it was delicious (as is the person who gave it).

We also have a Hunt near here on Boxing Day - also Cyclists, he wrote, typing carefully.

Enjoy the remainder of the holiday. The days will get lighter now - slowly.

Ah! It wasn't the battle of the Mods and Rockers then Tony.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, that's the one, BoD.

I particularly noticed it because it came from someone not the least interested in Railways but who called recently when I had a diorama under construction on the kitchen table.

It's the thought that counts.

I find my calendar very useful.

First I mark the holidays, then I highlight the weekends with local exhibitions or interesting railtours.

It hangs in the study and often helps me through the evenings, both light and dark.

Railway related photographs are an added bonus.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2

Snowing rather heavily here right now. Supposed to change over to rain this evening but I dunno. Wind expected to pick up to 60 mph gusts which isn't good news. Don't gloat because this system is expected to head out east over the Atlantic tomorrow morning. Then another system to follow with more crap this Saturday...

Roll on Summer.

Best, Pete.

Odd isn't it? Listening to Mid Week on R4 and no one one there from the BBC staff had heard of the war of 1812 or the burning of Washington by British forces in 1814.

I though everyone was taught about this in the UK?

Best, Pete.

Never mind the UK, Pete, not many people in Canada knew about the war of 1812 before this year. 

There were lots of adverts for exhibitions etc for the 200th anniversary of 1812 if you visited Canadian websites this year. 

That's because the government decided to make a big thing of it - they spent a lot of money on advertising. Not everyone is happy about it. Apart from the cost, it's seen by some as part of a campaign to change the image of the Canadian armed forces who, for a long time, have been seen mainly as 'peacekeepers'.

An interesting book about the war is "The Civil War of 1812" by Alan Taylor. He argues that it wasn't the simple 'us against them' it's usually presented as - it was really the final sorting out of the American revolution, within the USA and Canada, as well as between them.

• RMweb Gold

An interesting book about the war is "The Civil War of 1812" by Alan Taylor. He argues that it wasn't the simple 'us against them' it's usually presented as - it was really the final sorting out of the American revolution, within the USA and Canada, as well as between them.

What about the Aroostook "War" of 1838/39? I found out about that when researching the history of Maine when I was thinking about an ON30 potato hauling themed railroad.

• RMweb Premium

But for us that probably means the same amount of rain, similar temperatures, the only difference being more daylight to enjoy it all.

yes but it means outdoor cricket - a slighter safer game for me to umpire than 6 a side indoors over winter   ... :-))

Dd, Battle of Benfleet 894. Not on the English school curriculum but when we went to  Denmark and mentioned where we lived the hotel receptionist knew about the significance of the 9th century event. There is a big metal sculpture of a dragon ship prow glaring across the road towards the Conservative Club!

One of the main paths through our park is a shared footpath and cycle way. Most times it isn't a problem, though  I've seen poor behaviour from pedestrians and cyclists. Some dog walkers can be a bit naughty as well, standing on the footpath with about a dozen dogs blocking the way!

Crossed with BoD's post, but I think I'm saying the same thing, though naughty people generally aren't treated quite as roughly as the Danes were in the 9th Century!

Wasn't there a time (17th - 18th century?) when smuggling was rife in your area, Tony?  I believe the Dutch were responsible. The local militia came up with the cunning plan of asking anyone who ascended "Bread and Cheese" hill where they were....if they replied "Broot und Kas hill" then it was orf to jail with them. A bit hard on genuine 18th century Dutch tourists, though. :/ 

Having typed this out it has all the credibility of a Blackadder cunning plan. 

• Like 1

What about the Aroostook "War" of 1838/39? I found out about that when researching the history of Maine when I was thinking about an ON30 potato hauling themed railroad.

Tony, what I meant in the comment about the Taylor book was that there were a lot of side issues in the war of 1812. Not everyone in the USA was committed to the idea of republicanism, and there was tension over that. A lot of the settlers in Upper Canada were Americans who had moved into the area after the American revolution, and were not keen on fighting for the Brits. At places along the border, there were very friendly relations (and profitable ones - think smuggling!) between Canadians and Americans which people were not keen on disturbing. So not everyone immediately lined up in the 'us against them' way it's often portrayed - in some places they never really did.

Yes, there were disgreements after that on boundaries. In fact, there are still several areas where the boundary is still not agreed. AFAIK, the last case where it came close to blows was in the 'Pig War' of 1859. (If you look at the Wikipedia entry, note the second last sentence in the 'Resolution' section.)

• RMweb Gold

Spent several hours asleep this afternoon, cuddled up with Jill, who was also asleep, the ills finally caught up with us both.

The good news is we finished yesterdays bird off, phew!, at least we won't be eating chicken (our weapon of choice for Christmas dinner) for another 27 days.

I won't say much about Debs incident only that I hope the doglet is ok, giving air to the bad guys is something I'm slowly coming to realise just inflates their own egos, they probably told their mates that your dog attacked them, such history changers are present in all walks of life I'm afraid, they are not honourable people.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Evening all - bit more capon and pork demolished with salad this evening, plus some of the gala pie.  I'm suitably fed for the morning I hope as I'm not supposed to eat anything in the 2 hours before my testing commences at hospital.  All being well I should be back in the fold by tomorrow afternoon, fingers crossed.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

At places along the border, there were very friendly relations  )

On the Maine history site there is a photo of a warplane being towed across the Maine-Canada border by a farmer from the neutral US to Canada in 1940. Flying it over would have violated neutrality.

• RMweb Gold

I'm suitably fed for the morning I hope as I'm not supposed to eat anything in the 2 hours before my testing commences at hospital.  

Have you chosen a book to take along to read? I had all my reading sorted out once for a hospital test day and left my reading glasses at home!

• RMweb Gold

You should have kicked him of his f""""ng bike Debs , then stamped on the spokes .

How would that help?

It has turned midnight on a wet Saturday night. MW is driving home after an evening playing trains in Ludlow. Two young men are walking along the A443 in the rain and dark. MW stops to offer them a lift, and they clamber gratefully into the cab of the Land-Rover. It turns out they are brothers, farm boys from Frith Common walking home after a night out in Tenbury. A friend had dropped them at Newnham Bridge.

It soon becomes clear that the younger one has what we now call "learning difficulties". He is confused by being in a strange vehicle and becomes increasingly upset and agitated, kicking against the footwell and swearing at MW to be let out. Three in the cab of a Land-Rover doesn't leave much room for one to get agitated and MW is beginning to wonder if stopping was a good idea. The older boy is clearly concerned about his brother and tries to reassure him, putting his arm round him and holding his hand. MW stops by the bridge at Eastham and puts the cab light back on. They share his toffees and the three of them talk for a few minutes above the drumming of the rain on the cab roof. The younger one calms down a bit.

It's now about 1am and they ask to be dropped at the turning for Frith Common. But that still leaves a mile to walk up the lane, and it's still raining, so MW offers to drive them home. He finally drops them off at their farm gate and says goodbye. They both thank him and the older boy offers to pay for the lift with a bag of potatoes. MW thanks him but declines and wishes them well.

That was about 20 years ago. I still don't know who they were, but I sometimes think of them and I hope they are both doing OK.

Martin.

• Like 7

Good morning Martin. Were you really up that early or had you not yet gone to bed?

Yesterday was in the thirties and Tim came to erect my Christmas present oscillating fan on a stand

and my TV packed up! Tim thinks it is the decoder and not the TV.  Will find out today.

Cloudy, overcast and darkish this morning at 22C.

Good morning all.

Awoke full of energy and I'm already on the second dishwasher load of glasses.

Not all were used but they all need an occasional freshening up.

Discovered a very nice bottle of wine that I had been saving.

Someone (who shall remain nameless) had poured a couple of glasses out of it and put the bottle back.

Also discovered a chip in one of a set of crystal tumblers.

I have to be domestic once a year to uncover these acts of terrorism.

Looking forward to a bit of sun next July.

• Like 4

Good morning from a rather windy Torbay! (Without, I hasten to add before the sprouts comments begin!) The greenhouse is in bits. O/H quite upset too!!

DD: After finding a few chips on our crystal ware, I now wash all the good glasses by hand.

Not much to report here - we're relaxing before the onslaught of family on Sunday. (inc. a two year old and the new baby, of whom I wrote eight weeks ago)

Hope you all have a good day, especially the Stationmaster at the hospital.

• Like 6

Yes - I don't use detergent on them, Ashers.

The chip I mentioned wasn't done in the dishwasher. Can't be replaced either.

Hope our friends in the US are coping with the storms.

Seems to be Texas - Alabama and heading North East.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Full again after last night's dinner, so I already wonder what'll be on the menu today... It's quite windy outside and about 8°C, and no winter weather in sight for the time being.

Enjoy your day, everyone!

Morning all. Off to hospital this morning to see a man about why my little and adjacent fingers on my left hand don't work any nore. A real nuisance because I've not long bought a new guitar and can't play the thing.

Ashers, my Mum would have said that your greenhouse has been "up and down more times than a who..'s drawers!".

Ed

• Like 2

Slightly soggy here - AKA tipping it down. SWMBO's 60th today so we're doing what she wants - which is nipping out to a bookshop or three then coming home. Lunch out has turned into "you make me lunch here" which means that we can get exactly what we want.

Trust those who are starting back to work don't face any disasters.

Edited by Coombe Barton