The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

In the early '70s, working shifts in the Control, one was aware of the building's caretakers, who also worked round-the-clock. One, rejoicing in the name of Enoch, was very fond of using the electric floor-polisher.

And is there honey still for tea the floor polished still in Control?

• Like 2

Morning all

Musicians with tinnitus? One Dave Swarbrick (Fairport Convention) played the electric violin for years, and I believe he was warned that if he carried on the effects would be dreadful. Perhaps it's like having a partcularly nasty poserphone to your ear day in, day out, and damages all sorts of bits.

Swarb also had severe breathing problems involving lung transplants. Despite his obituary appearing in the Telegraph several years ago he is still with us and still fiddling.

Ed

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, the weather is awful if it isn't lashing it down it is blowing a gale. We need to get rid of a lot of excess stuff but this isn't the day for it.  I might try a bit of modelling as the weather may dampen Mrs B's enthusiasm for shopping. Have a good day if you can.

• RMweb Premium

I find the walk from Ronaldsway Station to the Airport amazing. Victorian to 21st centuary in a few hundred yards. I managed to include a trip on the railway in my business expenses claim.

Don

Oh, thank you for supporting our railway!  The walk you describe of course is a potted summary of our little island.  Victorian and 21st century side by side.  Being laid up currently I have not been able to take advantage of the extra trains the bus strike has promulgated - there's a 21st century bit!  A pal sent me some nice shots of 'Hutchinson' last week to tease me.

• RMweb Gold

And is there honey still for tea the floor polished still in Control?

The Control was on a sort of 1st floor extension of 10-storey Essex House, Croydon, built in 1962. Control moved there from Redhill, where it had been established about the time of Dunkirk, in 1969. The BR Divisions were abolished in 1984, so the building was emptied. A few years later it was demolished. Interesting to reflect that Essex House was one of the first high-rise buildings in Croydon, but within 25 years had lost its viability as bigger and better buildings arose on all sides.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Moghrey mie indeed DD failt eriu, and to the rest of you non Manxies, good morning :D   Mind you, given the amount of time it takes me currently to get what passes for a shower and dressed, it would soon be fastyr mie. (good afternoon!) :lol:

A windy, windy night doesn't seem to have done too much damage, and has cleared the garden of the hated sycamore leaves.  Good job done!

Slaine lhiu.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I won, I won, I won - £10 and £58 pounds, not enough zeros really but better than a slap with a wet fish (just, but that's another story)

£10.0000000000000

£58.0000000000000

There, Iv'e put some more zeros on for you.

Just put the cheque in he post.

• Like 1

Morning all, wet n windy around here. Off to see grand kids shortly. Spent to long last night kit detailing so was very late to bed, then had long chat with my "Snow-bird" in Florida, which was good.

More later maybe,

Have a good un,

Trev

• RMweb Premium

I won, I won, I won - £10 and £58 pounds, not enough zeros really but better than a slap with a wet fish (just, but that's another story)

That'd be much of what I guess you would have to pay for a RTR UK outline loco!

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

I've been very remiss in not posting lately but what with houseful of offspring & their offspring things have been extremely hectic. They departed yesterday to plague visit the "other" grandparents so we have now returned to normal. Would you believe I'm missing them already?    :yes:  

I hope every one had as good a Christmas as we did.

We visited aged MiL in hospital yesterday to find that in addition to her long list of ailments she is now suffering from gall stones. She is still talking about returning home soon yet I fear that this is very unlikely but she continues to amaze us with her determination to survive.

I have now got a chance to play with trains so am now off to put a chip in my new Bachmann Class 03 shunter (present from the Boss who took note of some of my subtle hints!) :locomotive:

Have a good day

Bob

"so am now off to put a chip in my new Bachmann Class 03 shunter"

A villager friend rang the doorbell a couple of days ago.

"Did you know you have a big chip on your windscreen?"

I didn't but went to see and there it was.

One of McCain's finest.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I know I choose to live abroad, but really - Xmas cards still arriving. Four today, one from a former boss, one from a couple whose house Deb used to clean, one from a friend of Deb's who's broken her hip - and one from a Baroness, with a House of Lords card & envelope.

Slightly less than an hour on phone to MIL, who is at least very grateful for my call every week. She suggested I might want to get married again - not every 90-year-old MIL might think that way.

DD does seem to have adventures on his doorstep - first kisses and now food!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Post delivered today?  How peculiar!

I was rather late rising today - but 'tiredness' is listed among the side effects of the latest pill I am consuming and which I started yesterday (now just into double figures on pills per day, but then I suppose it helps keep iD and his  fellows in business).  Oh and yes - the local Tesco received their first delivery of Easter Eggs on Christmas Eve and they are presumably on display now, I shall ask my stocktaking expert although I think she's far more interested in final amendments to her PhD thesis this week.

The trials of elderly relatives in care or suffering illness can be very trying for their offspring and in laws but do have their lighter moments sometimes.  In my case MiL was accommodated some years before her death in a very nice residential home on the outskirts of Plymouth and very quickly befriended another elderly lady.  Both of them were suffering dementia and, such was the quality of the home, were quite convinced that they were staying in a hotel to the extent that every afternoon they carefully checked with the staff to make sure that their rooms were still reserved for them.  Another change was that she forgot she had given up smoking and then, briefly, started again.  A terrible illness but it can have its lighter moments in its earlier and less troubling stages.

Have a good day one & all, I'm told we will shortly be off to Waitrose.

Just off to the 'Lunch'.

It's blowing a gale with a side order of wet.

The bird feeders are almost horizontal but are still populated with a batch of Long Tailed Tits!

Now to tackle the tree-lined glades which act as roads around here, hoping that they stay upright.