Costleigh - 4mm layout - mainly BR Blue

RandyWales

Hi all...

The images below show progress on the large warehouse at Costleigh (Cheapside).

It's taken me an age to decide how to build it, especially the windows.

It's constructed using Wills roundtopped window sheets, but I've substituted the larger window brick-arch (included in the pack) by using two quarter arches from another Wills pack butted together. (The larger arches were used on the fifteen feet of retaining wall on the other side of the layout),

I'm very pleased with the paint finish.

The building is constructed around a perspex shell, hence the see-through appearance at present.

There will be a Wills corrugated asbestos canopy along the frontage.

Randall

post-6897-049910900 1287001340_thumb.jpg

post-6897-085041000 1287001351_thumb.jpg

post-6897-011896600 1287001365_thumb.jpg

Hi...

Thanks for the kind words...much appreciated.

That's an impressive sized building, It will dominate the scene when it's finished just like the real things do.

Buildings that dominate the scene seem to have become a bit of an obsession of mine, as that was the main theme on Maenol Mine - my 7mm Microlayout.

The inspiration for this came from Walford Town which had an impressive warehouse built by Richard Harper dominating one end of the layout.

....The weathering looks very good, would you mind telling us how you did it?

I could say that it took many hours of painstaking work and rework, but that would be light years from the truth....

There is one coat of thinned matt black enamel paint on it. (80 thinners/20 paint) - Honest.

The hard work is in the preparation, and it's become my favourite technique when using Wills brickwork. Well worth the effort, as it saves time and disappointment.

After the building frontage was assembled (but before the frontage was fixed to the perspex shell), I worked damp DAS modelling clay (white) into all the mortar courses.

After it dried, I cleaned up the excess. All the large lumps should be removed, and any areas where the clay lays too thick should be rubbed down exposing the red brick beneath (but not too much - leave some clay intact on the surface. Some areas have more, others less). The final result is just a matter of guesswork, really. The thinned matt black paint was then brushed over the whole frontage with a 1/2" paintbrush, seeping into the courses and being absorbed into the surface clay. Make up plenty so that you use the same consistency throughout. Don't be too precise, and you shouldn't have to wipe anything off. Just leave it to dry naturally. Prior experimentation on scrap will give you a good grounding.

The result is a mixture of colours - reds, oranges, whites, greys but not much black.

Regards

Randall

Thanks Phil...

I've been wondering what organisation would occupy such a building, in such a location. As well as the VDA's, I have Newspaper vans and I'm looking at buying Express Parcels,too.

I recall NCL - National Carriers Ltd, (with the yellow signs and vehicles) but I doubt they would have been in existence in the Railfreight era except for, maybe, an unrefurbished building? My powers of recall of such detail always lets me down - everything seems to merge into a soup of memories. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Randall

the warehouse is coming on a treat

Thanks TT....

....and Mrs RW has provided the inspiration for the idea of a Bonded Warehouse for the distribution of wines and spirits....

Not sure if there ever was a prototype that was rail-served, but I suppose I could chalk this up to Modellers Licence?

I've painted the canopy, and will be distressing it over the weekend.

I need to start putting in the window frames too - all 54 of them (well 51, now).

Randall

Hi again...

Some spare time this evening, so I added the window frames.

They all had to be trimmed first - the second and third floors having an entire lower pane section removed.

It took less time than I thought it would - must be the batch-building effect.

This building has been constructed in distinct stages, making it less laborious.

The next stage is (Ratio) guttering along the edge of the canopy.

I'm hoping to pick up some packs on my visit to the Cardiff Exhibition tomorrow.

See some of you there, hopefully?

Randall

post-6897-010911400 1287778860_thumb.jpg

Hi again...

Some spare time this evening, so I added the window frames.

They all had to be trimmed first - the second and third floors having an entire lower pane section removed.

It took less time than I thought it would - must be the batch-building effect.

This building has been constructed in distinct stages, making it less laborious.

The next stage is (Ratio) guttering along the edge of the canopy.

I'm hoping to pick up some packs on my visit to the Cardiff Exhibition tomorrow.

See some of you there, hopefully?

Randall

post-6897-010911400 1287778860_thumb.jpg

Have got to say that building looks better each time you post

Colin

Have got to say that building looks better each time you post

Colin

Thanks Colin...

Perhaps I'll soon be able to finish laying the track....talk about chicken before the egg....

Today, I purchased some Ratio guttering spues at the Cardiff show as forecast, so that is my next job (paint them first).

I can also see the window frames need a bit of work to tone them down, too (and then the glazing...).

And the weathering of the canopy....

I've also got some corrugated sheet for the roller doors.

I'm on a mission!

Randall

Hello Randy :)

I totally agree with the others, the warehouse looks great and you have finished it off very well. It looks like you can turn your talents to OO as well as O, the finish on those bricks looks extremely realistic.

Missy :)

Excellent finish on the bricks and building as a whole, looks like so many of the buildings that used to be around the East End of London and docks area. Bet some developer will have there eyes on this already, let's see swanky bars and flats upwards of £250k each as soon as it's empty !!!!

Sxhall

Hi again...

Grateful thanks for the kind words...very much appreciated.

.....let's see swanky bars and flats upwards of £250k each as soon as it's empty !!!!

I'm afraid Costleigh is stuck in a Blue Diesel time-warp...We'll never get to realise the potential of our portfolios...:(

Randall

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hows Costleigh coming along? Not seen any posts for a while now, was enjoying watching this one grow quality of the warehouse is superb.

Hi again...

Eleven months since my last post...another extended period period where nothing got done!

Indeed, the warehouse remains untouched from the previous pictures.

However, my interest has picked up again recently, so I thought I'd share the progress of the last few weeks.

This time I was anxious to progress the exits from the scenic part of the layout, and this is how I've hidden the sharp curves at one end.

The first two images show the new station building at Costleigh New Cut.

It is inspired by Tinsley South by Steve and Chris Saxby in MRM No2 (Spring 2005)

The third image shows the bridge and buttresses at one end of the scenic fiddle yard.

It's good to be back...

Randall

post-6897-0-99341400-1317414833.jpg

post-6897-0-29068700-1317415420.jpg

post-6897-0-34135800-1317415461.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi again...

After another extended period of absence, I've got a few images of Cheapside to share.

This week, I have progressed the civil engineering around Cheapside - once again Wills English Bond brickwork.

The first image shows the bricks "in the raw", and the rest show things after applying mortar (DAS clay).

The next stage is a coat of dilute black paint after which the retaining walls should look like the warehouse (hopefully)

Randall

post-6897-0-94071700-1336937610.jpg

post-6897-0-55557000-1336937623.jpg

post-6897-0-74020200-1336937645.jpg

post-6897-0-82534000-1336937659.jpg

post-6897-0-52917900-1336937669.jpg

post-6897-0-98028900-1336937676.jpg

Archived