Woodhead passenger train - help with identifying coaches

Pyewipe Jct

Hi all,

I was recently browsing for Woodhead photos and came across the following shot on David Ford's 'Dave's Yorkshire Railway Archive' Fotopic site:

http://davesyorkshir.../p59807094.html

It shows a westbound passenger train at Hazlehead Bridge in August 1967, and I wondered if anyone could confirm the types of coaching stock shown?

After the loco, it seems to me to be an ex-LMSR 57' Stanier 'Porthole' Corridor Brake Second (or Third, as built, presumably - possibly D.2161?), followed by a BR Mark 1 Corridor Second (I'm assuming it's not an Open, as there's no daylight showing through the windows), and another Mark 1 in BR(S) Green. For the latter, it would appear that there's a lighter strip above the windows, indicating it's either a Corridor First, Corridor Composite, or perhaps a Corridor Brake Composite, but can anyone identify the type more accurately?

Also, as an aside, does anyone know the origins of the various BR(S) Green Mark 1s seen on the Woodhead route in the late '60s - were they transferred to the Eastern or London Midland regions, or did they work through from the south?

Any info, corrections or insight would be much appreciated,

Kevin

Also, as an aside, does anyone know the origins of the various BR(S) Green Mark 1s seen on the Woodhead route in the late '60s - were they transferred to the Eastern or London Midland regions, or did they work through from the south?

This comes up regularly Kevin (as a further aside, it's amazing how many book caption writers mention it but without a proper explanation). Prior to the Bournemouth electrification, the SR exchanged many of its coaches for other Regions' Mk1s which were more suitable for conversion for inclusion in 4REPs and 4TCs; most if not all ran without reliverying (just new prefixes) until withdrawal, being dotted into various secondary formations along with maroon and blue/grey stock

I would think the one in the pic is a CK, BTW

There was certainly some green stock in the Manchester area in the late 1960s. It used to show up on Manchester Central-Cheadle Heath locals for example. Not every day though, in case anyone is modelling Didsbury or Chorlton!

From what I recall, the Woodhead often contain 'odd' coaches. Unfortunately in my youth I was not much interested in coaches or anything else that didn't have steam coming out of it, so I don't recall precise details. Some of the trains were quite short too. 5-6 coaches.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I was recently browsing for Woodhead photos and came across the following shot on David Ford's 'Dave's Yorkshire Railway Archive' Fotopic site:

http://davesyorkshir.../p59807094.html

It shows a westbound passenger train at Hazlehead Bridge in August 1967, and I wondered if anyone could confirm the types of coaching stock shown?

After the loco, it seems to me to be an ex-LMSR 57' Stanier 'Porthole' Corridor Brake Second (or Third, as built, presumably - possibly D.2161?), followed by a BR Mark 1 Corridor Second (I'm assuming it's not an Open, as there's no daylight showing through the windows), and another Mark 1 in BR(S) Green. For the latter, it would appear that there's a lighter strip above the windows, indicating it's either a Corridor First, Corridor Composite, or perhaps a Corridor Brake Composite, but can anyone identify the type more accurately?

Any info, corrections or insight would be much appreciated,

Kevin

I have had a look at my original scan of dad's slide, the second coach is clearly a Mk1 SK (compartment second).

I think the third coach is a Mk1 CK (corridor composite). If you look at the photo below there is the left hand end door, 2 large windows, 1 small window and then another door (the "1") is just visible on this second door.

post-5613-004515000 1289850983_thumb.jpg

Edit - I didn't notice the circle on the photo - a photoshop tool -sorry!

I hope someone with more carriage knowledge than me will correct me if needed.

David

Yes, a 'porthole' BSK leading, then a Mark I SK and CK. There are also late 1960s photos of green Mark I stock in Scotland. However, I believe all the Bulleid seconds transferred to the ER and ScR were repainted maroon prior to transfer (at least that is what is asserted in the new Michael Welch book on SR coaches).

Thank you very much for all the replies and extra info - and especial thanks to Dave and his dad for the photos in the first place, of course - it's reassuring to know that I wasn't too far off to begin with :D

Could I ask if anyone knows how long the green livery lasted in normal service on the ER/LMR? I've found the following shots of Woodhead trains from the end of December 1969 (i.e., just a few days before the cessation of passenger services) that show a rake of blue/grey and maroon coaches with a BR(S) green BSK tagged on the end (probably the same train shown in Crossfell's first photo - thanks for that), so the start of 1970 appears a given, but how long after that might they be seen (sadly away from the Woodhead by then, of course)?

http://photos.m-t-p..../p13960245.html

http://photos.m-t-p..../p13961418.html

Cheers,

Kevin

Could I ask if anyone knows how long the green livery lasted in normal service on the ER/LMR? I've found the following shots of Woodhead trains from the end of December 1969 (i.e., just a few days before the cessation of passenger services) that show a rake of blue/grey and maroon coaches with a BR(S) green BSK tagged on the end (probably the same train shown in Crossfell's first photo - thanks for that), so the start of 1970 appears a given, but how long after that might they be seen (sadly away from the Woodhead by then, of course)?

I recall seeing one in the formation of a Euston - Glasgow relief that I travelled on - it was the year that the doubleheaded 50s had started on the regular trains, so that would be the summer of 1970. I'd like to think some lasted into '71 but any later would be pushing it, I think

Archived