GWR route classifications

Philip1812

It's well known that GWR locos were allocated a colour code, depending on their axle load, to indicate which routes they could work on. Equally all sections of the GWR main line (and presumably lines of other companies over which the GWR had running rights) were classified as double red, red, blue, yellow and unclassified, to indicate which locos could work them - with the added complication of dotted red and dotted blue routes where an overweight loco could run at restricted speed.

When carrying out research on a location, it's not too difficult to find the colour code of a particular section of line; it's usually mentioned in passing in a broader reference book about the particular line in which you are interested. However, I have not been able to find a definative list of all the lines of a given colour code, except for the double red routes which are easy to trace.

I have three questions:

1 Can anyone point me towards a book which does contain such a list of all lines and their colour codes? (Better still a colour coded map.)

2 Am I correct in assuming that the GWR had allocated colour codes for routes of other companies over which they had running rights?

3 Did the route colour classification system extend to goods yards and sidings etc, as well as the running lines?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Trying to take your points in order -

1. I have never seen a map in a book although I know that the GWR did have a Route Availability map for locos with the routes lines coloured in as appropriate - I have only ever seen one and the chap who had didn't like the idea of me removing it from his office wallsad.gif

However there was a Route availability book published in BR time although it didn't sort the routes by colour - but they were mentioned in it. It is possible that the GWR issued a book but I've never seen one although I have got a GWR Loading Gauge booklet (which is structure clearance for stock).

2. Of that I'm not sure but presumably the restrictions were published in some form or another. I do recall that GW operated joint lines were definitely on the GW system map.

3. That's a difficult one as basically it didn't but there must have been some way of advising the information. I am inclined to the view that it was most likely included in a circular issued by either the Chief Engineer or the Motive Power Dept (or possibly jointly) but despite years of rifling exploring cupboards and mooching though bookshops I have never seen anything like that from GWR days.

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned by the Stationmaster there was a Locomotive Route Availability booklet published latterly by BR(W) but prior to that the information was published in the relevant working or service timetable (note: not the appendix but the actual timetable).

But regrettably what was in the Service Timetables was far from complete and quite inconsistent when comparing one with another - I've just had a run through some of the 1939 books and for most routes it doesn't give a clue what their RA colour is while for others it refers to locos by class and for others there is no reference at all; typical GWR wink.gif

But regrettably what was in the Service Timetables was far from complete and quite inconsistent when comparing one with another

And not often updated either given that I've just found a reference to 4-4-2Ts of the 22xx variety in the 1951 Cardiff service timetable!

Talking of inconsitencies, the 1963 Locomotive RA book I have makes particular mention of 9Fs being banned between Hereford and Shrewsbury however there is photographic evidence of them on the 'North and West' and Pontypool Rd had an allocation for a very short time and there is no mention of them being prohibited in earlier working timetables.

• RMweb Gold

And not often updated either given that I've just found a reference to 4-4-2Ts of the 22xx variety in the 1951 Cardiff service timetable!

Talking of inconsitencies, the 1963 Locomotive RA book I have makes particular mention of 9Fs being banned between Hereford and Shrewsbury however there is photographic evidence of them on the 'North and West' and Pontypool Rd had an allocation for a very short time and there is no mention of them being prohibited in earlier working timetables.

Typical of that sort of thing (although the Pontypool Road engines would have had work eastwards via either route of course. However even more amusing on this one is that the Loads Book published at the same time gives a load for 9Fs between Shrewsbury and Pontypool Road in both directions with the footnote 'Only to work on Parcels, Milk, or Passenger trains at speeds not exceeding 60 mph'

Alas this sort of confusion carried on long beyond then and the 1974 (or thereabouts) RA Book contained the fascinating note along the lines of 'locomotives are allowed over a particular line or siding if they are not prohibited from that line or siding unless they have not been tested'. And of course you usually only found out something hadn't been tested when it hit something or derailed - as we did with a Class 46 which got itself into problems up at Cranmore. (after that we always used one of them for clearance tests because if they would fit you knew any other loco would fitwink.gif)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments. I'm rather glad that my original question was not a naive one with an obvious answer!

Since starting research on this topic, I've found a lot of photographic evidence of locos without any painted weight restriction circle on the cab side, and many more pics where the position of the circle does not match the information in the HMRS Livery Register for the GWR. I get the impression that the system was rather more "word of mouth" or "accepted practice" than the management of the time would like to think.

However even more amusing on this one is that the Loads Book published at the same time gives a load for 9Fs between Shrewsbury and Pontypool Road in both directions with the footnote 'Only to work on Parcels, Milk, or Passenger trains at speeds not exceeding 60 mph'

That is one of those statements open to interpretation isn't it?

Does it mean that they could go as fast as the driver liked on freight?

Rather like in later years when the guard was instructed that he should ride in the cab of ECS workings - which cab (front or back) and did that include empty HSTs?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments. I'm rather glad that my original question was not a naive one with an obvious answer!

Since starting research on this topic, I've found a lot of photographic evidence of locos without any painted weight restriction circle on the cab side, and many more pics where the position of the circle does not match the information in the HMRS Livery Register for the GWR. I get the impression that the system was rather more "word of mouth" or "accepted practice" than the management of the time would like to think.

Take care because on many older photos the RA 'circle' doesn't show up well and photo emulsion plays a part in that as well - and of course lots of smaller locos didn't have them anyway. But yes, the position did vary - almost certainly according to aesthetic likes or dislikes of the Foreman Painter, hence variation between works and between gangs at the largest works. But woe betide any shed Foreman who put out the wrong kind of loco on a job.

• RMweb Gold

That is one of those statements open to interpretation isn't it?

Does it mean that they could go as fast as the driver liked on freight?

Rather like in later years when the guard was instructed that he should ride in the cab of ECS workings - which cab (front or back) and did that include empty HSTs?

The bloke who wrote it no doubt knew exactly what he meant - it's just a shame that other folk might notlaugh.gif Generally however with Instructions you should begin at the beginning and take that as meaning what it says until you come across the bit which alters it. And with some older (in particular) Instructions you need to understand the way punctuation was used at the time it was written - that could make a big difference. And then of course some stuff was deliberately ambiguous in order to ensure that whatever you did you were right, or wrongwink.gif

• RMweb Gold

There used to exist, in Pontypridd Junction Signal Box, a large, poster-sized route/colour indication daigram, which covered all of the GWR-worked routes. It was GWR in origin, but I can't remember the year of printing.

This would have been there around 1974-75.

Regards,

Ian

Much of the information is here: Wikipedia

I would read that with care as it contains some (usually obvious) errors and omissions.

Much of it appears to have been lifted wholesale from what is in the RCTS books.

If it's wrong, you can fix it - the beauty of Wikipedia.

I've looked at that page before and didn't notice anything that was obviously wrong - at least to me anyway. I do remember some discussion somewhere about a Pannier tank (I can't remember the class) that changed it's designation mid-life. This could have been the 57xx class listed at the bottom of the page. I'm sure there are other examples.

• RMweb Gold

There used to exist, in Pontypridd Junction Signal Box, a large, poster-sized route/colour indication daigram, which covered all of the GWR-worked routes. It was GWR in origin, but I can't remember the year of printing.

This would have been there around 1974-75.

Regards,

Ian

Must be a 'modern' addition then as it definitely wasn't there in late 1971 (unless my attention was too closely devoted to the lever frame and block instruments to notice it?). If it was 'poster sized' (but what shape?) it doesn't sound like the one I mentioned above in Post No. 2 in this thread.

• RMweb Gold

If it's wrong, you can fix it - the beauty of Wikipedia.

I've looked at that page before and didn't notice anything that was obviously wrong - at least to me anyway. I do remember some discussion somewhere about a Pannier tank (I can't remember the class) that changed it's designation mid-life. This could have been the 57xx class listed at the bottom of the page. I'm sure there are other examples.

I'm not sure how you alter things in tables (or indeed in anything in particular) in Wiki. But there is definitely incorrect information there about the 47XX (which were banned from quite a lot of 'Red' route mileage) and some omissions regarding changes to routes permitted for 60XX but the bit about the 57XX being changed from' Blue' to 'Yellow' is absolutely correct.

• RMweb Gold

Must be a 'modern' addition then as it definitely wasn't there in late 1971 (unless my attention was too closely devoted to the lever frame and block instruments to notice it?). If it was 'poster sized' (but what shape?) it doesn't sound like the one I mentioned above in Post No. 2 in this thread.

Hello Mike,

IIRC it was about A3-ish. I was quite taken with it, as I'd not seen one before. In fact, I've not seen one since!

Regards,

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mike,

IIRC it was about A3-ish. I was quite taken with it, as I'd not seen one before. In fact, I've not seen one since!

Regards,

Ian

Sounds like a reprint, the original one I saw was quite a bit bigger than A3 and framed with a sheet of glass covering it as well - great shame our local PerWay Supervisor wouldn't part with it.sad.gif

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Following the lowering of the spots in WWII to be above the numberplate, was there any reversion to placing them higher up on the cab sheets after WWII?

I'm glad you said that Miss P because that's where they are on my model of Newtons 9717 thankfully ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

From a perusal of pics of preserved Panniers in post-WWII condition, the spots have been kept in their lower position, i.e. they have not reverted to their former high position. 

Hi Miss P,

Aha! I miss read your post. Oh well!  There staying there now ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 year later...

Archived