2750's Workbench - LNER 1935-1939

Guest 2750

Evening gentlemen smile.gif

I thought I would post my latest weathering attempts, although I've been posting as a blog, I thought I do a topic instead to show the rest smile.gif

I have weathered before, but with powders mostly....and a nasty episode with model mates sprays....but lets not speak about that wink.gif

Anyhow, a year ago I bought a airbrush/compressor set from ebay, and a few days ago I started weathering with the it. My main inspiration has been TIm Shackleton after watching, and rewatching his RIght Track DVD.

My first attempt was on a J39 I picked up at Doncaster, she was mostly airbrushed using Matt Black, Metalcote Black and Matt Leather, the results have been quiet pleasing, I then used a brush with thinners to streak the boiler side.

photo4-7.jpg

photo2-12.jpg

photo2-13.jpg

My next loco was a model of Woolwinder which i wanted to have a working look...but not OTT, this required a lot of streaking on the loco itself and with advice from our very own Jamie, I used a cotton wool bud to buff the loco and give it a shine.

photo1-12.jpg

photo5-2.jpg

I've been working on coaching stock today, once I've got some photographs taken, I'll post them smile.gif

Special thanks also to our own Tim Easter, who has also given me a wealthy amount of help wink.gif

Cheers

Tom

Guest LNER Tom

I did my first real attempt at weathering this week as well (class 40) excellent weathering jobs and I most agree the Tim Shackleton dvd is a fabulously informative and inspiring dvd to watch

Cheers big_daddy_ray

Here is one of my coaches done today, I do realise I may have been a little OTT with the weathering...shall we just say it's one that wasn't washed often ;) I think the look itself is ok :)

photo1-14.jpg

photo2-16.jpg

Guest LNER Tom

Hehe cheers Phil, glad your liking it.

Here is my most recent weathering job, A2/2 Mons Meg

Weathered with Airbrush, did some streaking with White Spirits and this evening I've been buffing with a cotton wool bud, to bring out the shine. See what you think :)

DSCF1894.jpg

DSCF1891.jpg

DSCF1890.jpg

Guest LNER Tom

Thanks chaps :)

No secrets ;) very simple, apply with airbrush, then wipe off, thats really all I'm doing (downward strokes of course ;) ) as a friend on here keeps telling me...'It's not what you put on, it's what you take off' ;)

Next loco, Bachmann K3

The weathering I based this on, was a picture of 61907 at Colwick Shed, generally quite grimey boiler bands quite obscured, yet the tender lining is that bit more clear.

Anyhow see what you chaps thing, tried to make the lower half have a tinge more of muck colour, only slight...Johnson's Klear on the motion to give it that greasy look.

photo5-5.jpg

photo4-12.jpg

photo2-20.jpg

photo3-17.jpg

EDIT

Two friends have both given me their honest view on here, and they are right that she doesn't quite look the part...not to worry, Mr Easter is going to talk me through the next stage of sorting her out ;)

Guest LNER Tom

So the K3...A .case of Tom getting carried away but it's not the end of the world, more a good starting point....to quote a fellow modeller, it's not what you put on, it's what you take off....mircosol on order.....watch this space.

So to cheer myself.... I weathered a loco I don't think I have revealed on here so far....A1/1 60113 'GREAT NORTHERN' which was built for me few months back.

This was her new as she looked when she arrived.

DSCF1876.jpg

And this is the results tonight

A New England loco at this point, not given top duties now, so not the most cared for of locos, but not run down.

photo2-22.jpg

photo3-19.jpg

photo4-13.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom, liking your technique. I wanted to comment on your coach, if I had produced this I'd be happy. I would think like this about how much to put on, in the case of this coach, imagine setting off from Kings Cross in fairly clean condition on rainy winters day in the late fifties/early sixties, you are passing through industrial areas as well as country side, there's plenty of soot not only from the the locos but from industry and also the general muck kicked up from the track!! By the time you arrive in York, let's say, this coach may well be dirtier than the way you've portrayed it. Weathering a model is really capturing a look that on the real thing is transient, i.e. drive through a rainstorm and some muck will wash off only to have a new layer deposited further up the line :blink: . Carry on the way you're going and you won't go far wrong, just remember to aim for some uniformity within a rake of coaches (I'm sure I did'nt have to say that):) . Cheers Phil.

Guest LNER Tom

Hi Tom, liking your technique. I wanted to comment on your coach, if I had produced this I'd be happy. I would think like this about how much to put on, in the case of this coach, imagine setting off from Kings Cross in fairly clean condition on rainy winters day in the late fifties/early sixties, you are passing through industrial areas as well as country side, there's plenty of soot not only from the the locos but from industry and also the general muck kicked up from the track!! By the time you arrive in York, let's say, this coach may well be dirtier than the way you've portrayed it. Weathering a model is really capturing a look that on the real thing is transient, i.e. drive through a rainstorm and some muck will wash off only to have a new layer deposited further up the line :blink: . Carry on the way you're going and you won't go far wrong, just remember to aim for some uniformity within a rake of coaches (I'm sure I did'nt have to say that):) . Cheers Phil.

Hi Phil

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated :)

You make very good points regarding coaching stock...like you say it's not just soot from the locos the coaches will be passing through, and the much from the track etc :)

Ok chaps remember the K3, that was...well...rather mucky.....thanks to Mr Tim Easter and his advice....We have managed to bring the loco back from the brink of depravity....to something looking well used ;)

See what you think

DSCF1930.jpg

Guest LNER Tom

Cheers mirreles31...the stuff is a dream come true...brings of the old weathering off a dream, and not in an overly active solvent way either!

Anyhow few more pictures of the K3 taken this morning

DSCF1941.jpg

And here with the light catching the loco, I'm pleased how the light shows the dirt that's got itself in the areas the cleaners didn't get...and the streaking effect particular on the tender.

DSCF1943.jpg

See what you think :)

DSCF1891.jpg

Fantastic job on that bucket but what's that blurry dark thing in front of it? :P

Seriously, the K3 isn't far off… it's looking promising and I quite like locos on the 'brink of depravity' myself and there aren't enough of them around! Generally, have you thought about removing the boiler handrails before weathering? I reckon it would make boiler streaking easier.

Guest LNER Tom

Evening gents

further tweaking to the K3 this evening......use of powders to blend the boiler in some streaking that was a bit to obvious from this evenings meddling...addition of rust around the cylinders and slight marks on the smoke box plus linescale stains.

I think it looks better, but with how I'm feeling this eveing, I'd trust your observations gentleman :)

oh and numbers removed to represent a 53A Hull loco.....thanks Mr Easter ;)

DSCF1956.jpg

DSCF1958.jpg

DSCF1963.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom, no rest for wicked eh! Am liking this even more now the rusty cylinder fronts look good one of my favourite garnishes. Be careful with limestaining less is more as they say, unless you are working from a photograph, if so 'paint what you see'. Is this a renumbering exercise to a loco that ran close to home? Also thanks for some inspiration I got my K3 out this evening and it is running in at the moment I've had it about 6 or 7 years and due to only having a 6ft plank for a layout I never got round to it. It's on my rolling road which I got for spraying the wheels and motion on steamers. The K3 might be an up and coming project or it'll get put in the queue!!!:blink: Just a thought your K3 is pretty run down or shall we say filthy how about a smokebox door burn (not too much), I added one to my 2MT gives a bit of character.

Guest LNER Tom

Hi Tom, no rest for wicked eh! Am liking this even more now the rusty cylinder fronts look good one of my favourite garnishes. Be careful with limestaining less is more as they say, unless you are working from a photograph, if so 'paint what you see'. Is this a renumbering exercise to a loco that ran close to home? Also thanks for some inspiration I got my K3 out this evening and it is running in at the moment I've had it about 6 or 7 years and due to only having a 6ft plank for a layout I never got round to it. It's on my rolling road which I got for spraying the wheels and motion on steamers. The K3 might be an up and coming project or it'll get put in the queue!!!:blink: Just a thought your K3 is pretty run down or shall we say filthy how about a smokebox door burn (not too much), I added one to my 2MT gives a bit of character.

Hi Phil

Hmmm smoke box burn is an idea, but as it happens I'm trying to use a picture from Eastern Steam in colour by Hugh Ballatyne.

So... I decided to give her some dulling down with the airbrush....less patchyness....was going well until the airbrush caught an open tin of paint.....SPLASH! went the paint firing blobs of paint all over the model and me!!!!! I had literally just finished with her to! :angry:

Anyhow...I got the thinners out...got the blobs off, and started again.

Here is the final results...and I think I'm happy....rather coated with Grime, but hopefully not too much that it's OTT...boiler band still showing through.

DSCF1965.jpg

DSCF1966.jpg

That's enough for tonight! :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom, still looking good despite the crisis, all's well that ends well as they say (don't know who 'they' are but hey!). You are right of course don't burn the smokebox door if you are working from a photo, I freelanced the front of my 2MT as my reference photo was a 3/4 rear shot. Are you gonna put a number on the cabside or am I missing something about this particular loco? Cheers Phil.;)

Guest LNER Tom
Are you gonna put a number on the cabside or am I missing something about this particular loco? Cheers Phil.;)

Indeed....if you check the earlier pics, she had a number, but as a 32A Norwich loco...I couldn't really see her being in the York area often....so after Tim pointed me to this picture on flickr of 61847 which had the same tender...and appeared to be a 53A Hull Dairycoates...it seemed a better choice.

She is also the first loco I have renumbered with press fix numbers, rather than water slide. Not as difficult as I thought actually, and I'm pleased with the results for a first go :)

photo1-24.jpg

photo2-27.jpg

Guest LNER Tom

DSCF1969.jpg

See what you think guys.....Tim has pointed out an error mind....unsure.gif i can live with it....but who can see it... laugh.gif

Smokebox number yet to be added, and possible tweaking to the smokebox colour, dull it down a bit :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom, this looks excellent, all the better for a daylight shot. I'd leave the smokebox it has a nice warm tinge to it. Well done with the number getting them straight can sometimes be tricky. I renumber some of my locos as running around the Sheffield area thats why I renumbered the Clayton on my thread. I used to live near Darnall Shed (gone now) where both steam & diesel lived. Darnall was also used to look after 'visitors' (it was not far from sheffield Victoria Station) so plenty of might have been possibilities (A1s & A2s etc) when I get round to building my 'big' layout which will feature Darnall (ex GC/LNER). Spotting things wrong with other people's models is something I try to avoid, can't see anything unless you mean the missing front steps & drain cocks which I was presuming you had yet to fit, I do this often usually seeing it after the photos are taken! Was busy weathering myself yesterday have a glance at my thread if you havn't already. :rolleyes: What's next? Phil.

Archived