Highland Baby Sulzers

a highland baby sulzer view at the Kyle blocks here which i think was during the new road building closure period with a bus and ferry for part of the journey!

Logs link

must keep this top thread running..!!

Nick R

Nice work Nick, I reckon we could narrow her I.D down based on visible details, brilliant wet weather shot too wink.gif

Based on the fact that I'm currently building a 25/0, these are 24/1s as they have the extra fuel tanks which the 25/0s lack.

The 'extra' tank on a 24 is for boiler water, Neil, not fuel - 25/0s didnt have train heat so didnt have the water tank

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian

I'd realised after posting that it was a boiler water tank which the 25/0s lacked, but couldn't correct it due to the lack of editing ability on my ipad. :(

Full computer power currently elsewhere as on Hols at present. Still time to look at rats however.

Neil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can I bring a 26 in here, on account of it's interesting? 26046 with thick-grommetted 27 pattern windscreens, but pre-refurb:

http://www.flickr.co...157624412538230

From John Turner's Flickr site, well worth a look (and not just for the shots of mine he's got in there) ;)

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is this new? I'm not sure I've seen it before because several factors LEAP out at me.

1. It IS 1968, as captioned, I trust the presence of a 50 which gives caption credo.
  2. The boiler grille remains unplated.
  3. No Morrie Thou headlamps are fitted.
  4. Tablet catcher apparatus is still in place.
  5. A loco in this spec is precisely what I require to complete the identities of my current quartet, without resorting to buying additional detail parts.

http://www.derbysulz...124polmadie.jpg

EDIT: we have harvested this previously, but I hadn't made the above observations

Edited by 'CHARD

Having only just come across this thread, I hope you gents won't be too upset if I post a couple of photos I took way back in 1966.

First, D7611 on Fort William MPD on 5th September.

post-11812-0-63837600-1319732752_thumb.jpg

2 days later, 7th September, D5126 stands at Inverness station.

post-11812-0-32044100-1319732759_thumb.jpg

Hope these may be of some interest.

Is this the place to post a couple of photos of their BRCW cousins?

Graham

• Like 1

Oh great shot of D5126 there! I'd pop the BRCWs on here for now, it helps keep the thread fresh and saves starting a new one. Any more true HBS though, bring em on.

Any pics taken at Haymarket, St Margarets or Carlisle sheds, please post on the Waverley Route Cathedrals of Power thread!

Thanks for sharing!

Having only just come across this thread, I hope you gents won't be too upset if I post a couple of photos I took way back in 1966.

First, D7611 on Fort William MPD on 5th September.

post-11812-0-63837600-1319732752_thumb.jpg

Hope these may be of some interest.

Is this the place to post a couple of photos of their BRCW cousins?

Graham

Fascinating pic Graham and thanks for posting both.

Ain't it funny how, if you scattered oil drums around a depot like this in 4mm scale it just wouldn't look right.

Yet it obviously was !!!

Thanks again.

Ain't it funny how, if you scattered oil drums around a depot like this in 4mm scale it just wouldn't look right.

Yet it obviously was !!!

And what about those old oil tank wagons, extreme left, being used for fuel storage?

The more I look at my old photos from that time, the more I think that almost anything goes!

Oh great shot of D5126 there! I'd pop the BRCWs on here for now, it helps keep the thread fresh and saves starting a new one. Any more true HBS though, bring em on.

Any pics taken at Haymarket, St Margarets or Carlisle sheds, please post on the Waverley Route Cathedrals of Power thread!

OK, 4 BRCW photos to follow in a few minutes. I think you'll like at least a couple of them.

Regarding the "true HBS" - I'm afraid that's the only one. In 1966 I was an impecunious student (in fact, I was still in the 6th form, so in those days that made me a "schoolboy" rather than a "student"). Don't forget, film - especially colour - was expensive and not to be wasted and steam was fast disappearing . . . .

I'll see what I can dig out for the Cathedrals of Power thread, but it may not be immediately - I've got a lot going on at the moment! Are we talking just diesel, or is steam acceptable? Also, for Carlisle are we looking solely at Canal (in which case I know I've got nothing) or are you including Kingmoor & Upperby?

Graham

As suggested, here are the BRCW Sulzer photos.

4th September, 1966 - D5358 on Fort William MPD

post-11812-0-60645300-1319752827_thumb.jpg

Keeping it company on the same day, D5369

post-11812-0-51869200-1319752833_thumb.jpg

5th September - D5334 not far from Kyle of Lochalsh, with an interesting collection of vehicles in tow.

post-11812-0-43511700-1319752743_thumb.jpg

And finally, 6th September 1966 - D5324 stands in Kyle station as the mist swirls around.

post-11812-0-12599500-1319752870_thumb.jpg

Sorry that the quality isn't of the highest standard, but they were taken a long time ago, I was little more than a kid and the equipment I had was hardly "state of the art".

Hope you find something of interest amongst them.

Graham

(with thanks to Tesco for putting Old Thumper & Exmoor Beast on special offer!)

• Like 6

Guest stuartp

And what about those old oil tank wagons, extreme left, being used for fuel storage?

I'm not sure when the last rope-anchored 14t tanks were withdrawn, but I suspect those are still in traffic and being used to supply the depot. The vehicle to right of the loco looks like an Air Ministry design which was certainly still in traffic in the mid 60s.

Edited by stuartp

I'll see what I can dig out for the Cathedrals of Power thread, but it may not be immediately - I've got a lot going on at the moment! Are we talking just diesel, or is steam acceptable? Also, for Carlisle are we looking solely at Canal (in which case I know I've got nothing) or are you including Kingmoor & Upperby?

Graham

When you're ready and in your own good time, there's no rush here or over on the Waverley Route Group. And over there it's open to the entire 120 year life of the line: steam, diesel and gas turbine (as if!).

Regarding Carlisle sheds, we're a broad church - and the Carlisle crew will I'm sure be grateful for all contributions. In any case, Upperby supplied DMUs and Kingmoor everything else after '63, so bring it on!

Edited by 'CHARD

I'm not sure when the last rope-anchored 14t tanks were withdrawn, but I suspect those are still in traffic and being used to supply the depot. The vehicle to right of the loco looks like an Air Ministry design which was certainly still in traffic in the mid 60s.

I thought the ones to the left looked to be permanently "plumbed in" & hence for storage rather than in traffic. After 45 years I wouldn't be able to remember in any detail, even if I'd taken that much notice at the time!

The one to the right obviously was in traffic as it doesn't show in another photo taken from virtually the same spot the previous day. Impossible to say if the two to the left were there on that occasion as they'd be obscured behind D5369 in the BRCW photos above.

Graham

Guest stuartp

I thought the ones to the left looked to be permanently "plumbed in" & hence for storage rather than in traffic.

Ah yes, that would explain the rather prominent pipe sticking out of the top of the tank in exactly the right place to be part of some sort of oil disposal rig. (I'm sure there used to be some sort of 'embarrassed' smiley which would have fitted just fine here). My apologies, I think I need new glasses.

Is this new? I'm not sure I've seen it before because several factors LEAP out at me.

1. It IS 1968, as captioned, I trust the presence of a 50 which gives caption credo.
  2. The boiler grille remains unplated.
  3. No Morrie Thou headlamps are fitted.
  4. Tablet catcher apparatus is still in place.
  5. A loco in this spec is precisely what I require to complete the identities of my current quartet, without resorting to buying additional detail parts.

http://www.derbysulz...124polmadie.jpg

EDIT: we have harvested this previously, but I hadn't made the above observations

After a minor panic this afternoon, I just re-checked the known HBS to have worked over the WR, thinking that D5124 may have been one of the few that didn't, and perturbed that another number change in my four-strong HBS fleet would be required. I needn't have worried, at least not in the way I'd imagined.

GSYP early casualty D5114 did NOT work over the WR, but GSYP D5124 DID. Others that didn't include D5126, D5129 and D5130.

I knew Castlecary victim GSYP D5122 worked the WR in the weeks preceding her crash, so my green pair is now likely to comprise D5122/24. Spoiled for choice over what blues to choose, D5116 is a must, as it's been indelibly linked with the WR, in my mind, since its early appearance in colour in one of the standard works on the line. D5131 The Legend is pretty much essential as she hauled the 2M52 and 2S52 services wearing the farewell headboard on Saturday 4th. Jan. Unfortunately she was a summer '68 repaint, so her appearances on the layout will be mutually exclusive with D5122! (Maybe I'll cheat, and have 5124 one side and 5131 the other of a GSYP loco).

Anyway, this has strayed too far into modelling territory from the OP. Oh, hang on - it was my OP. Maybe I'll weigh in with some HBS modelling from here on in. Wouldn't object to comparing notes with the other desperadoes hacking locos about to recreate these babies....