Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

Ah but, it's not just any old brake van, it's a brake van with the second type of Dowty hydraulic buffers, screw couplings and the joggled handrails on the end platform.

Am I in danger of becoming a buffer bore???? :beee:

And whats wrong with being a Buffer Bore? Although I prefer a "Precussion Recoil Pedandist".

You have learned well ...young grasshopper.

Porcy

Edit:

just seen next post. Now off in hunt for more (Non Copyright) photographs.

Edited again for Spelling...

...and edited again for missing words...

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Ah but, it's not just any old brake van, it's a brake van with the second type of Dowty hydraulic buffers, screw couplings and the joggled handrails on the end platform.

Am I in danger of becoming a buffer bore???? :beee:

Dave Franks.

Certainly not.

That has got to be one of the best photos yet for the amount of variety of wagons and the detail contained within.

Beside the van, must try to work out the diagram or building date later on, there is the choice of slope sided, standard and 13t wagons and then we get on to a study of the different types of load and how the wagons are loaded.

Fantastic.

Bernard

Ah ha, got you, :beee: no the handrails on this lot were joggled out to lye on the outside of the upright , later lots were fixed onto the 'front and centre' of the upright as per the usual. 'Porcy Main' could maybe re-post his photo of one.

Dave Franks

And here's one I did earlier,

post-10324-0-35945200-1351102434.jpg

Now, if only I had the time to finish it.

Dave Franks.

• Like 2

And whats wrong with being a Buffer Bore? Although I prefer a "Precussion Recoil Pedandist".

You have learned well ...young grasshopper.

Porcy

Edit:

just seen next post. Now off in hunt for more (Non Copyright)

Edited again for Spelling...

A what? 'Precussion Recoil Pedandist' - now you listen to me boy, we'll have none of that language around here.... :nono:

Dave Franks.

And here's one I did earlier,

Now, if only I had the time to finish it.

Dave Franks.

Well i suppose there's always room for some brakevans in a mineral wagon thread.

That Hornby jobby could almost be this one. If it had been the same lot number.

2678504340_bb399d4f0e_z.jpg

Class 20 At Alloa by pinzac55, on Flickr

I know I've posted it before... but it's nice and that's coming from a BR green man!

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

A restored, rebody.

http://www.flickr.co...947/7789208164/

Davey,

It's worth checking out the largest version of this image.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/7789208164/sizes/k/in/photostream/

It shows the LNER version bracket for the Vac Pipe plug on the Brake.

Etch etch etch.

P

Ah ha, got you, :beee: no the handrails on this lot were joggled out to lye on the outside of the upright , later lots were fixed onto the 'front and centre' of the upright as per the usual. 'Porcy Main' could maybe re-post his photo of one.

Dave Franks

Quite a few different lot numbers had the cranked platform grabrails. I think they were quite common. I've seen them on Vac fitted, unfitted and piped.

It’s probably quicker to post a few links rather than go searching for, and cluttering Michaels thread up with brake van Pics.

Although some of these links have been posted here previously.

Here you go...

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.co...157627339905422

http://www.flickr.co...157624729539114

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Now we have some "extremity identification and train monitoring staff accomodation vehicle" afficionardo's on the thread, referring back to the picture in post #787

Enlarging the picture shows it seems to be a "CAP" vac-piped b/van with r/b's and the side would appear to be plywood - I know certain b/vans were so fitted.

Discuss..........................(bearing in mind I seem to have someone else's eyeballs in these days)

Now we have some "extremity identification and train monitoring staff accomodation vehicle" afficionardo's on the thread, referring back to the picture in post #787

Discuss..........................(bearing in mind I seem to have someone else's eyeballs in these days)

Not sure what there is to discuss. B951333 was either built plywood, or resheeted very early http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan504/e59ec3b4 but others got quite extensive resheeting later http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan504/e34c3d5 http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan506/e2df7d4fb

As to where that handrail was fixed, this shows the fixing to the outside well http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan504/e18c9ea7f It seems to be a feature of lots 2136, 2137, 3012, 3129 (not the later ones)

Paul Bartlett

• Like 2

OK, in a further attempt to stimulate,

check out the horizontal planking below Porcy - now that surely is worth discussing................?

Check out P's flicker photos btw - superb.................

Edited by Southernman46

OK, in a further attempt to stimulate,

check out the horizontal planking below Porcy - now that surely is worth discussing................?

But not in a thread on mineral wagons... :smile_mini:

Quickly addressing your point above.

Nothing unduly unusual by that date.

Horizontal planking was regularly seen on end panels. Just as it could sometimes be seen on side panels along with thick planking.

Probably a result of accident damage repair, rotten wood replacement etc. Ply repair panelling started to appear along the bottom of the end panels within a few years of building.

The van looks like B954220 making it a Dia. 1/207 lot 3129, so built in 1958 I reckon it's at least 22 to 23 years old in that phot. so it will have had a few scrapes.

It looks like it has recently had a works visit to have replacement W irons fitted as there are fresh Huck bolts securing them to the sole bar. You can also see that heat has been applied to the bolt heads holding the footboard brackets to ease removal.

Also the van may originally had Dowty buffers fitted being replaced by Oleos the workshop deciding to leave them on unpainted Oleo primer.

To me these things are just maintenance items that would have happened over the lifetime of a vehicle. Well worth, and often seen modelled though.

BUT to my strange mind, these observations are rather insignificant compared to the fact that someone has turned the torpedo vents through 90 degrees. Why?

Because if you modelled that, you would probably get laughed at!

Now … back to 16 tonners… (Well.. 27 tonners in this instance.)

3015686408_bccb9d8e0c_z.jpg

Andrew Barclay 2101 SDSI Storefield 19 - 16th Nov 1964 by pondhopper1, on Flickr

With apologies for drifting of topic.

Check out P's flicker photos btw - superb.................

Got that T shirt some time ago… :wink_mini:

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

But not in a thread on mineral wagons... :smile_mini:

Quickly addressing your point above.

Nothing unduly unusual by that date.

Horizontal planking was regularly seen on end panels. Just as it could sometimes be seen on side panels along with thick planking.

Probably a result of accident damage repair, rotten wood replacement etc. Ply repair panelling started to appear along the bottom of the end panels within a few years of building.

The van looks like B954220 making it a Dia. 1/207 lot 3129, so built in 1958 I reckon it's at least 22 to 23 years old in that phot. so it will have had a few scrapes.

It looks like it has recently had a works visit to have replacement W irons fitted as there are fresh Huck bolts securing them to the sole bar. You can also see that heat has been applied to the bolt heads holding the footboard brackets to ease removal.

Also the van may originally had Dowty buffers fitted being replaced by Oleos the workshop deciding to leave them on unpainted Oleo primer.

To me these things are just maintenance items that would have happened over the lifetime of a vehicle. Well worth, and often seen modelled though.

BUT to my strange mind, these observations are rather insignificant compared to the fact that someone has turned the torpedo vents through 90 degrees. Why?

Because if you modelled that, you would probably get laughed at!

With apologies for drifting of topic.

Got that T shirt some time ago… :wink_mini:

P

Really nice photograph, roof detail is great and that guards pose needs modelling!

If it is B954220 then it is diag 1/506, lot 3129, and one with that handrail fixed to the outside of the corner post.

Yes, unusual to see the torpedo vents that way around, and end planking, http://PaulBartlett....an506/e2d4ccaa4 and end plywood sheeting or partial sheeting were very common replacements, especially on the later built ones - I wonder if the quality of wood available when they were new was poorer than earlier builds?

Agree about the Dowty hydraulic buffer being replaced by Oleo-pneumatic.

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

Really nice photograph, roof detail is great and that guards pose needs modelling!

If it is B954220 then it is diag 1/506,

Thanks for the correction Mr B. Typo on my part. Just had to have a shockvan on the brain at that moment as thats whats I was working on...

And now that you come to mention it... Timber... there is somthing in the back of my mind... about British Foresrty Commision Timber replacing scandanavian Imported... I think maybe a Faverdale man told me that but don't quote me.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Here's another of my shots circa 1980

Lovely shots Alan.

I assume you must have spent sometime in the upstairs of one of those houses overlooking the yard judging by some phots I've seen?

Porcy

• RMweb Gold

I don't think I've put these on before, they are also to be found on my flickr site. Taken by either Dad or I.

post-5613-0-78977200-1351445590_thumb.jpg

Chesterfield Class 08 D4032 up goods wrong line December 70 C426

post-5613-0-52606500-1351445593_thumb.jpg

Barkston Class 31 down goods sheeted 16T minerals 1968 DMImageQ06

post-5613-0-00592600-1351445597_thumb.jpg

Pye Bridge 8F 48637 down empty coal Oct 6 J070

post-5613-0-72821700-1351445601_thumb.jpg

Skipton LMS 3FT 47293 withdrawn Jan 67 J747

Note: the colours on this were badly faded

post-5613-0-93624200-1351445604_thumb.jpg

Skipton turntable Feb 67 DMImageQ01

post-5613-0-17128400-1351445608_thumb.jpg

Toton LMS 4F up freight June 64 J151

David

• Like 11

Lovely shots Alan.

I assume you must have spent sometime in the upstairs of one of those houses overlooking the yard judging by some phots I've seen?

Porcy

No? I have some shots by another photographer taken from one of those houses but by me. I'm bitterly ashamed of how few shots I took of my local line! "Thinks" if you mean the ones of Millfield goods yard, the vantage point was Chester Road East which was at bridge level above the yard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/3359346797/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/3359362311/

• Like 1

No? I have some shots by another photographer taken from one of those houses but by me. I'm bitterly ashamed of how few shots I took of my local line! "Thinks" if you mean the ones of Millfield goods yard, the vantage point was Chester Road East which was at bridge level above the yard.

The pics I was thinking of was a Clayton on 21t hoppers heading east betwwen Hylton Road and Chester Steet East/Matamba Street. There was also a blue 08 on 16tonners taken from the same upstairs window: Then there was a blue 08 taken heading west taken from the upstairs rear window.

No worries though.

Must have been Ebay...

P

The pics I was thinking of was a Clayton on 21t hoppers heading east betwwen Hylton Road and Chester Steet East/Matamba Street. There was also a blue 08 on 16tonners taken from the same upstairs window: Then there was a blue 08 taken heading west taken from the upstairs rear window.

No worries though.

Must have been Ebay...

P

Yes I sold those prints on ebay that must have been where you saw them :stinker: